The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New to Studio One. Few Q's
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

New to Studio One. Few Q's

Hi,

Just treated myself to Studio One Pro 4.5, Eris E8 Monitors and also the Faderport 16.

Come from Ableton and Logic.

Have a few questions regarding Studio One..

1:When I make say a 4 bar midi clip and then double click it to show the edit it shows the piano roll really small. Why doesn't it fill the edit page to whatever length clip you've created?

2:Is there a way to zoom where the mouse is located? If I zoom it just zooms from the middle meaning I have to keep panning left or right.

3:When I create a track, and rename it to something, it doesn't always rename it in the mixer. I have to manually go and rename it to match sometimes. Anyway around this?

4:Logic has the track zoom feature where it will automatically zoom to fit all the tracks in vertically and you click one track and it will zoom to make it bigger. Anyway to do this in Studio One?

Big change coming from Ableton especially but just wanted the change and to get back to a linear DAW. Got rid of Apple stuff as fed up of their greed so on PC now.

Cheers

Matt
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

You can use macros to zoom/expand to the edit /focused clip .
Zooming is done with a vertical drag along the timeline , both in arrangemnet and midi editor .
Shift + horizontal mouse drag on the piano keys , makes them bigger

Word of advice . try every possible combination of shift , ctrl click in the midi editor
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply. Will look into that when I get home. So no way to do the"track zoom" that Logic has?
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

What do you mean if zoom it just zooms from the middle ?
You can pan left and right while zooming .
Click in the time ruler , move your mouse up/down for zooming , left and right for panning , all of which can be done at the same time while holding the mouse button down

I ahve no idea how logic does this , not a mac guy here
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

What I meant is , is there a way that when I open say the piano roll and hold the mouse cursor somewhere and zoom, can it zoom from the cursor?
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Yes , like I have exlained earlier
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

I've actually just found a new way. Go to view and put it so macros are showing in the edit tab. Just then click the Zoom to select button. Or as I have, mapped that to ShiftA and it works perfect
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Must say I'm loving Studio One. Like a breath of fresh air
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

Like I also wrote in my first post
Yeah studio one is amazing
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wrote about the macros in my first reply
Yeah studio one is amazing
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Ah so you did lol.
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Why is that when I put the mixer view in narrow it shows one of my channels bigger, even when it's not selected?
Attached Thumbnails
New to Studio One. Few Q's-20190624_130452.jpg   New to Studio One. Few Q's-20190624_130441.jpg  
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I've deleted that channel and made the same again and it's sorted now. Perhaps a bug?
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

Becaue you probably clicked the show expand insert button , which expands mixer tracks even when narrow is selected
Or just double clicked a channel

Hint , pressing alt+print screen takes a snapshot of you pc screen
No need to use cameras
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Ah right will check that. Forgot about print screen lol. Been on Mac for ages and only recently went back to PC.

Also ordered an Atom so will have a decent studio later on
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
Hi,

1:When I make say a 4 bar midi clip and then double click it to show the edit it shows the piano roll really small. Why doesn't it fill the edit page to whatever length clip you've created?

Matt
Option/Alt Double Click to an event to see it fill the screen. After that, somehow regular double click works too.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Brill. Will try that later.

One other thing I can't see how to do is..

I have all the channels in order as a template and have a drum bus, bass bus etc. At the moment all the busses go at the end of all the tracks in the mixer at the far right and don't even show in the arrangement. How do I put the drum bus at the end of the drums, bass bus at the end of the bass etc and also show them in the arrangement?

Matt
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
Brill. Will try that later.

One other thing I can't see how to do is..

I have all the channels in order as a template and have a drum bus, bass bus etc. At the moment all the busses go at the end of all the tracks in the mixer at the far right and don't even show in the arrangement. How do I put the drum bus at the end of the drums, bass bus at the end of the bass etc and also show them in the arrangement?

Matt
On the left side of Mixer under the i/o
there is options menu with wrench icon.

For busses to show on arrangement :
Preferences/Advanced and check ''Automatically create automation tracks for channels''
Attached Thumbnails
New to Studio One. Few Q's-screen-shot-2019-06-25-17.01.56.jpg  
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Cheers for that. Anyway to get them to be at the side of the channels I am bussing?
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Ah don't worry just seen the screenshot. God I love studio one hahaha
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

No problem
Old 25th June 2019
Just grab the meter ruler and pull down with the left mouse button.
Attached Thumbnails
New to Studio One. Few Q's-gif.gif  
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

One other thing. When I was creating my template, I had to put instruments in an instrument track for it to show as a channel in the mixer. Any way to do it so I can add an instrument when I want?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

For all logic converts. You can hold shift+option to enable the temporary magnifier glass zoom tool and zoom like in logic. If you hold these two modifiers and drag you zoom in and if you hold these modifiers and click it zoom back out.
Old 28th June 2019
Quick question, new to S1 after 15 yes in PT.
What is the equivalent of nudge ?
Old 29th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Quick question, new to S1 after 15 yes in PT.
What is the equivalent of nudge ?
I could be wrong, but maybe cntrl/alt/< and cntrl/alt/> ? Haven't used it yet. It's listed as "slide"

Anyone know how to keep the autoscroll on when you zoom in and out while playing? Zooming seems to turn it off for some reason.
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Question

I just moved to S1 from PT. How do you pan a send to a BUS/AUX/FX track???
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto10 View Post
I just moved to S1 from PT. How do you pan a send to a BUS/AUX/FX track???
There is a little pan strip below SEND level control.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1562305936
Attached Thumbnails
New to Studio One. Few Q's-snimok-ekrana-2019-07-05-v-10.47.05.png  
Old 14th July 2019
Question from a guy coming over from PT. In PT I can have 2 mix bus chains (I do one ITB with plugins and one OTB with hardware ) because I can send a aux to 2 separate outputs. Any suggestion how I could do the same in S1?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Question from a guy coming over from PT. In PT I can have 2 mix bus chains (I do one ITB with plugins and one OTB with hardware ) because I can send a aux to 2 separate outputs. Any suggestion how I could do the same in S1?
Go to: Song>Song Setup>Audio I/O Setup then choose Outputs and click Add (Mono) or Add (Stereo) to create additional Output Bus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search