All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New to Studio One. Few Q's
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Ahhh... I feel like my DNA got aligned, thanks a lot Quetz
I just realised days later that I completely contradicted myself

Pulling material onto an existing track creates a new layer in itself, and then this will behave according to the overlaps setting.
So the answer to your original question is yes, layers work like that..
Old 4 weeks ago
Anyone know if you can somehow slide a layer in s1?

I did several different parts of a track, all starting at bar 3 with the expectation that I'd be able to simply slide the layer to where the part actually is, and then comp it correctly. Hope that makes sense. In other words I recorded takes of the verse and chorus all beginning at bar 3, and want to slide them to where they'd actually get comped in the song.

I'm fairly certain you can't do this. Wow. This is a serious shortcoming in S1.

Edit: If anyone else is struggling with this, a work around is to find the layers in the pool, drag them to new tracks, do edit:move to origin (so that it lines up on the grid), cut what you want, and drop it onto a new layer at the exact spot you want it in your comped track.

A pain, but it does work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The layers are right there on the track.
They're just audio events like any other, but piled up on one audio track.
Open the Inspector, that's where you choose which layer is active.
Select a layer from the dropdown then drag it wherever you want.
Repeat for each layer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
The layers are right there on the track.
They're just audio events like any other, but piled up on one audio track.
Open the Inspector, that's where you choose which layer is active.
Select a layer from the dropdown then drag it wherever you want.
Repeat for each layer.
Maybe I've got something set wrong.

I'll try to explain what happens to me, and I hope it makes sense.

Lets say I have 10 vocal layers. Lets say I comp the first 8 bars of that vocal track, and move the comped audio to start at bar 9. When the move is made, all of the audio in all of the layers from bars 1-8 is deposited in the place of the layers at bars 9-16. The audio that was in the layers in bars 1-8 gets cut and placed right over the other audio. The layers at 9-16 are just covered and no longer available.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I haven't recorded like that for a while so I'll test this myself in a min, but how are you comping your takes?
You've got record mode set to takes and also 'takes to layers' set in the transport recording panel?

And to comp you're selecting ranges on the resulting takes/layers and double clicking?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I haven't recorded like that for a while so I'll test this myself in a min, but how are you comping your takes?
You've got record mode set to takes and also 'takes to layers' set in the transport recording panel?

And to comp you're selecting ranges on the resulting takes/layers and double clicking?
I expand layers, record a take, then right click "add layer". Yes on both questions about takes.
To comp, simply selecting in a layer pops it up to the active track. It doesn't take a double click to do it for me.

I did look in the inspector, and noticed that there is a "layers follow events" checkbox, and maybe that is why all of the layers move along with the section of comp in the active track. I suppose that could be a useful feature sometimes.

There is a lot of power in this program.

EDIT: That checkbox did it. You can now comp and move blocks in the active track without moving everything in the layers along with them.

It'd still be good if you could just move the layers around, but this is a good start.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok great, sorry I couldn't be more help.
Btw, you can do the takes thing quicker if you set your recording range loop, click the settings icon in the transport panel and tick the checkboxes for 'Takes' and also 'Takes to Layers'.

Now when you record, every pass will automatically be added on a new layer.
Record until you've got all your takes, then when you stop recording, they'll all be automatically expanded to individual layers ready to comp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Ok great, sorry I couldn't be more help.
Btw, you can do the takes thing quicker if you set your recording range loop, click the settings icon in the transport panel and tick the checkboxes for 'Takes' and also 'Takes to Layers'.

Now when you record, every pass will automatically be added on a new layer.
Record until you've got all your takes, then when you stop recording, they'll all be automatically expanded to individual layers ready to comp.
No Worries. You've been a great help! Thanks again for all the tips.

Dan
Old 1 week ago
Here's my next stumbling block.

I grabbed a Akai MPKmini to keep on the console. It uses a joystick rather than a mod and pitch wheel.

For the life of me I can't get the mod wheel direction to work in a virtual instrument. I can see it sending data in the midi monitor, sending the exact same data I see from another KB with a mod wheel, but it doesn't work where the other KB does.

I do have the inputs set as mpkmini, and it does play midi notes. The pitch direction also works.

Any ideas?

Also, a learn doesn't seem to work from this thing to any parameter in a VI. If it wasn't for the fact that the pitch bend control works, I would say it S1 must be filtering CCs. Is pitch bend a CC, or something else?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I also have MPKmini with joystick, and modwheel direction work as intended in my Arturia VIs. But there is indeed may be some filtering going on, as when I try to assign CC#1 or 2 to some parameters it wouldn't work. But I can assign CC# 3, 4 etc. You might wanna try to check that MPK Mini mkII - Editor program that comes with MPK and see which CC's are assigned to joystick.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
I also have MPKmini with joystick, and modwheel direction work as intended in my Arturia VIs. But there is indeed may be some filtering going on, as when I try to assign CC#1 or 2 to some parameters it wouldn't work. But I can assign CC# 3, 4 etc. You might wanna try to check that MPK Mini mkII - Editor program that comes with MPK and see which CC's are assigned to joystick.
Thanks for the info.

The weird thing is that I can see that the CC is making it to Studio One.

There is a visual representation of all the knobs inside Studio One, and all of the knobs move in sync with the actual controller.

Knob 1 is assigned to the mod wheel, as is the joystick, and neither of them effect the VI, even though the are getting into S1.

What is also weird is that nothing in any of the VIs I've tried will learn from theMPKmini.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Thanks for the info.

The weird thing is that I can see that the CC is making it to Studio One.

There is a visual representation of all the knobs inside Studio One, and all of the knobs move in sync with the actual controller.

Knob 1 is assigned to the mod wheel, as is the joystick, and neither of them effect the VI, even though the are getting into S1.

What is also weird is that nothing in any of the VIs I've tried will learn from theMPKmini.
That is indeed strange, I just tried and could midi learn parameters to mpk on a few VIs from different vendors: Waves, Arturia, Air... So it is certainly possible, we just gotta figure out whats getting in the way in your case.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That is indeed strange, I just tried and could midi learn parameters to mpk on a few VIs from different vendors: Waves, Arturia, Air... So it is certainly possible, we just gotta figure out whats getting in the way in your case.
I'll give it another shot tonight.

I did read some vague references to the MPK sending in different modes by pushing a few buttons, but the vague reference was the extent of what I could find. No mention of it in the manual.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
I'll give it another shot tonight.

I did read some vague references to the MPK sending in different modes by pushing a few buttons, but the vague reference was the extent of what I could find. No mention of it in the manual.
Yea, maybe also worth looking around in their editor. I tinkered it at first when bought it a couple years ago.. It's a little eccentric editor, need to make sure that it's sending / receiving programs to and from your MPK first. I've got these settings on my default first program, they seem to do the job. (on included image) If that's not the problem, maybe it's some setting within Studio One that needed to be investigated.
Attached Thumbnails
New to Studio One. Few Q's-fdfsfsdf.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Yea, maybe also worth looking around in their editor. I tinkered it at first when bought it a couple years ago.. It's a little eccentric editor, need to make sure that it's sending / receiving programs to and from your MPK first. I've got these settings on my default first program, they seem to do the job. (on included image) If that's not the problem, maybe it's some setting within Studio One that needed to be investigated.

I was able to get the editor to work after I figured out that S1 can't be open when moving data to/from the MPK. And did try changing controller numbers the other day, but I'm not 100% sure I did everything correctly.

I'm going to give the think another shot in a couple of hours.
Old 1 week ago
Well I have it solved.

I'm going to put some keyword and the description of the problem here to hopefully get this post to show when others have the same problem.

Akai MPKmini not taking CC
Akai MPKmini wont learn
Akai MPKmini joystick no modulation

The answer seems to be to not use the default setup in your daw for this keyboard. The problem spans daws for some reason.

I found this vid by a guy who figured this out in REASON, and it worked for me in Studio One.

https://youtu.be/9Xd2i9AohV4

Set up your keyboard as a generic keyboard from scratch, and it will work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search