The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One 4.5
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Studio One 4.5

New features overview

Recording and Mixing
• Redesigned hardware controls gain-phase-48V on mixer channels for compatible PreSonus interfaces
• Input Mixer: software gain - phase controls on every input
• Software input gain - phase controls on every channel, bus and FX channel
• Extended grouping system with attributes Volume, Pan, Mute-Solo, Inserts-Sends
• Groups definable as Edit- and-or Mix-Groups
• Commands-shortcuts to suspend any group
• Command to suspend all groups
• Support for unlimited nested groups groups within groups
• New Groups section in Track List and Channel List
• Optional group name displays on channels with Group assign and renaming options
• Customizable Channel Components in Console
• RMS-Peak metering option per channel
• Global Pre-Fader Metering option
• Quick-assign I-O routing for multiple selected channels
• Quick-assign outputs in ascending order
• Basic and Advanced Plug-in menu styles
• Alternative reverse Sidechain routing
• Copy Plug-ins with Sidechain routing

Arrangement and Editing
• Lock Events with position and editing options
• Lock Tracks option
• Independent Quantize-Timebase-Snap options
• Snap to Zero Crossings

Musical MIDI Editing
• Chord Audition option in Chord Selector
• Chord Audition option for chord events in Chord Track
• User assignable Chord Audition sound
• New Major-Minor Triad scales • Re-organized Musical Actions
menu
• Stretch multiple notes by dragging
• Note Action: Apply Scale
• Note Action: Distribute Notes
• Note Action: Randomize Notes
• Note Action: Quantize Notes
• Note Action: Mirror Notes
• Note Action: Repeat Notes to Part End
• Note Action: Thin out Notes • Note Action: Fill with Notes

Workflow
• Independent Macro Toolbars for Arrangement, Music Editor and

Audio Editor
• Macro Toolbar: custom menus
• Macro Toolbar: direct macro editing
• Macro Toolbar: Duplicate Macro command
• Macro Toolbar: “move to Group” command
• Impact XT: drag more than 16 samples or slices
• Patterns: support for Quintuplets - Septuplets resolution
• Improved swing timing for patterns with individual lanes resolution
• Stem Export: quick drag select tracks-channels
• Stem Export: save selection when closing window
• Song Data Import retains “Disabled” track state when importing
• Fat Channel XT modules retain state when switching
• Instrument list: “disable all” option
• Instrument list: “remove unused” option
• Store Presets with folder selection
• Assignable F13-F24 keys • Recall any Marker with
shortcut
• One-step Audioloop export drag&drop
User Interface
• Smooth audio waveforms option
• Macro Toolbar icons update • Sample One XT - Impact XT:
improved unit readouts

Performance
• Improved CPU performance with Multi Instruments
• Improved CPU performance with Mai Tai, Sample One XT, Impact XT and Presence XT

Hardware and Installation
• I-O Setup: add multiple inputs or outputs
• I-O Setup: re-order inputs - outputs with drag & drop
• New Plug-in Manager with filters by format and vendor
• Plug-in Manager: list and reset blacklisted plug-ins individually

Import - Export
• Import - Export I-O Setups
• Video Export option with multiple codec support platform-dependent
• MP3 Export with variable bitrate
• AAC support Import - Export , including ALAC Apple Lossless
• Mono option for Export Mixdown
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac

The video has been removed.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict
Looks like a bunch of useful small workflow improvements. Good update, I assume 4.5 is free?
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone got the video before takedown?
Seems like they did the same misstake as with 4.0 release!
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sounds very promising! But as it looks, the stretch algorithms still haven't been revised (no slice mode and no turntable mode). That's still a big disadvantage for any electronic musician compared to Live, Bitwig, FL Studio or Logic!
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

There's a video YouTube, but it just lists what's listed above.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

We have a full webcast planned tomorrow at 10am CST.

Hope you can join us!

Tuesday, May 21
10am CST
https://www.facebook.com/PreSonus/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...gp0QI9R61RWz0w

Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi View Post

Hope you can join us!

Tuesday, May 21
10am CST
https://www.facebook.com/PreSonus/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W...gp0QI9R61RWz0w

Oh boy! Update reads pretty awesome..
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.lindqvist View Post
Sounds very promising! But as it looks, the stretch algorithms still haven't been revised (no slice mode and no turntable mode). That's still a big disadvantage for any electronic musician compared to Live, Bitwig, FL Studio or Logic!
You guys have plenty of gadgets... it’s good to see Presonus looping back to the regular musician/core daw feature components
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
You guys have plenty of gadgets... it’s good to see Presonus looping back to the regular musician/core daw feature components
Of course, but the truly bad stretching also affects any type of audio quantization (e.g. acoustic drum recordings, bass recordings and so on) as well as any musician doing work for TV, film and broadcast.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
We do have a Slice Mode in StudioOne.

However, there's a whole host of new features for the Electronic Music creator that are a part of this update. You'll see some cool stuff tomorrow if you are able to tune in.
Old 20th May 2019
js1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you actually mean CST, i.e. Central Standard Time? AFAIK, there is no place in the US and almost no place in Canada currently on Central STANDARD time. They are currently on Central DAYLIGHT time (CDT).

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I don't want to miss the event by 1 hour...
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course, but the truly bad stretching also affects any type of audio quantization (e.g. acoustic drum recordings, bass recordings and so on) as well as any musician doing work for TV, film and broadcast.
How much are you stretching and are you playing around with the three different algorithms? I find that it’s great within 3 (sometimes 4) semitones up or down, except for vocals. Also, higher res audio stretches better than Lofi.. so, 96k at 24 bits stretches better than 44 at 16 bits.

That being said... if it’s just a transposition issue, I usually use melodyne for that
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
We do have a Slice Mode in StudioOne.
Not in the way as Live, Bitwig, Logic, Pro Tools or FL Studio.
Especially the mentioned "Slice" function in Studio One is one of the worst if you use it for recorded acoustic drums for example (hint: transients, overlapping).
The type of slice mode I am looking for is the one you can find in Studio One via Melodyne (ARA) called "Percussive". But this workaround also doesn't get the job done as bounced Melodyne files still have some sort of transfer/buffer/latency compensation problems which leads to timing issues, dropouts and missing transients.
Quote:
However, there's a whole host of new features for the Electronic Music creator that are a part of this update. You'll see some cool stuff tomorrow if you are able to tune in.
I'm happy about that and are looking forward to the show tomorrow.
I also don't want to drag this topic into a time-stretching/slicing debate. I just want to keep up the issue and hoping for a revision of the stretching/slicing algorithms one day. I'll probably open a separate post on that issue.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Do you actually mean CST, i.e. Central Standard Time? AFAIK, there is no place in the US and almost no place in Canada currently on Central STANDARD time. They are currently on Central DAYLIGHT time (CDT).

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I don't want to miss the event by 1 hour...
Yes, it will be at 10am CDT. THANKS for checking!
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
How much are you stretching and are you playing around with the three different algorithms? I find that it’s great within 3 (sometimes 4) semitones up or down, except for vocals. Also, higher res audio stretches better than Lofi.. so, 96k at 24 bits stretches better than 44 at 16 bits.

That being said... if it’s just a transposition issue, I usually use melodyne for that
I will open a separate topic an this issue. I only use Melodyne if I have to work in Studio One but this leads to other issues as the Melodyne integration (ARA) somehow has transer/buffer/timing issues which sometimes leads to arbitrary errors in the bounced file. Anyway, let's look forward to the good news for now.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Flex in Logic is 30 times better
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Flex in Logic is 30 times better
30x ? That is very specific, how do you get to that figure?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
Anyone got the video before takedown?
Seems like they did the same misstake as with 4.0 release!
Watched it twice. 30 minutes of exciting new features for audio gunned at PT to use the words of the moderators.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

I must say that I like the retro announcement style very much btw. Well done!

RMS-Peak metering option per channel and Snap to Zero Crossings are really some of the things I've wanted since Studio One 2. Really looking forward to it!
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
Looks like a bunch of useful small workflow improvements. Good update, I assume 4.5 is free?
I would assume so. There's really nothing worth paying for on that list so Presonus knows better than to charge for it.

Maybe gain / phase on every channel because that's something that should have been there since day one instead of making us use a plug in for that on every channel for 4 versions.

I'd be more excited if they actually added new features. Where's the ARA2 support? Multi-core CPU implementation, which studio one is woefully inadequate when it comes to that. Polyphonic AT support? That should have been there since day one. It'd be nice to see notation / score implementation for musicians who use the program. Notion is embarrassingly bad and Presonus should be embarrassed to keep suggesting that its tie in with studio one is a substitute for notation in the daw.

It'd be nice to see a global audio interface setup. I'm up to 4 mytek 8x192 converters and it's a royal PITA to have to set up my interface ins and outs on a new mix.

I'm sure these little tweaks will add up somehow when I update and use the program and I might notice all the little improvements but this is more of a 4.2 and not a 4.5.

Here's to hoping that Presonus figures it out for v5.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Komplete Kontrol Integration?
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
30x ? That is very specific, how do you get to that figure?
Excuse dear sir, I count very badly, it was 28, I stand erected
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:
I must say that I like the retro announcement style very much btw. Well done!

RMS-Peak metering option per channel and Snap to Zero Crossings are really some of the things I've wanted since Studio One 2. Really looking forward to it!
What exactly is snap to zero crossings? I can’t say I’ve heard of it before.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I would assume so. There's really nothing worth paying for on that list so Presonus knows better than to charge for it.

Maybe gain / phase on every channel because that's something that should have been there since day one instead of making us use a plug in for that on every channel for 4 versions.

I'd be more excited if they actually added new features. Where's the ARA2 support? Multi-core CPU implementation, which studio one is woefully inadequate when it comes to that. Polyphonic AT support? That should have been there since day one. It'd be nice to see notation / score implementation for musicians who use the program. Notion is embarrassingly bad and Presonus should be embarrassed to keep suggesting that its tie in with studio one is a substitute for notation in the daw.

It'd be nice to see a global audio interface setup. I'm up to 4 mytek 8x192 converters and it's a royal PITA to have to set up my interface ins and outs on a new mix.

I'm sure these little tweaks will add up somehow when I update and use the program and I might notice all the little improvements but this is more of a 4.2 and not a 4.5.

All Studio One .# iterations are free. As for hoping Presonus figures it out people really need to be proactive. They have an Ask function on the site that people refuse to use. What you do is post it then get 100 slutz to upvote and give the stuff priority
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

They need to add notation then stop crying and go vote. Some of u old school musicians are so closed minded. It's 2019, where do you think the markets at right now?
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Excuse dear sir, I count very badly, it was 28, I stand erected
Must be the orthopaedic shoes...

Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You mean plugging in your guitar and just hitting record since version 1?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
You mean plugging in your guitar and just hitting record since version 1?
Um... sure...
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashley520 View Post
What exactly is snap to zero crossings? I can’t say I’ve heard of it before.
When splitting and sizing audio events, sudden amplitude changes can cause pops and clicks. To avoid this, there are snap to zero crossing options to snap to points where the amplitude is zero. This comes in very handy when cutting and slicing audio loops, samples as well as simply any recording (e.g. voiceovers, vocal comping, ...).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search