The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One 4.5
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Going to answer my question on VCAs.

I may be just was lucky not to break the audio engine. Or not aware of an existing feature. Nested VCAs seems to work besides nested groups. No matter how mad you go with your routings.

Thank you Presonus.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Never understood why Presonus didn´t hire the developer of the Studio One X script. Much more talented for developing practical MIDI scripts than the actual crew.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
The developer of Studio One X developed articulation scripts for free on PC many years ago. At times where articulation scripts were only available for FL and Logic. Some of his ideas made it into S1. Most of today's scripts are not really practical for music composition compared to what this guy made available three years ago.
Old 23rd May 2019
The search text box in the insert list being automatically selected is going to save me years of time. It's one of the only things I actually asked for when I first bought version 3.

Now I want to be able to see multiple time bases in the edit window. I like to see bars and minutes/seconds at the top bar so I can quickly locate a time in a song.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The developer of Studio One X developed articulation scripts for free on PC many years ago. At times where articulation scripts were only available for FL and Logic. Some of his ideas made it into S1. Most of today's scripts are not really practical for music composition compared to what this guy made available three years ago.
I respectfully disagree and meant to vote thumbs down so my up vote on your post was an error. Doesn't matter anyway.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Doesn't matter because he ain't working on Studio One.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I respectfully disagree and meant to vote thumbs down so my up vote on your post was an error. Doesn't matter anyway.
Did you test his latest scripts? I didn´t because I didn´t use S1 until the release of 4.5 and was not aware his site is up again.

http://studioonex.narechk.net/index_en.html

Don´t think it would be a mistake if Presonus would contact him. From what I see on his feature list.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Nut

If i look at that feature list of Studio One X, Presonus did implement alot of that functionality in S1 version 4.5.

Even better, Presonus implemented even way more new midi functionality in version 4.5:

Like "Fill Notes" , "Thin out Notes", "Mirror Notes", "Fill Notes to Part End", "Randomize Notes".

These are incredibly powerful new midi commands, awesome for (greater) inspiration during midi composing in S1.

Kind Regards.
Old 23rd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
What happened to 4.2. 4.3, and 4.4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baila Tosco View Post
I guess they fell into the blackhole that lives at the center of the "Weneedthecashalittlebitsoonerthistime" Galaxy.
Well the 4.5 update is free, but it does bring them closer to 5.0...
But mainly I think it was just marketing. Version 4.5 brings more attention than 4.2.3 Build 65 or whatever.

I just had a brief play around with it last night. There's nothing revolutionary for my workflow, but a few welcomes tweaks here and there. The new MIDI features will surely come in handy at some point.

CPU improvements are always welcome too, but I think they're mainly limited to a few specific scenarios like multi-out plugins or multi-instruments. If a third party VST only utilizes a single thread, no amount of "load balancing" from the DAW will allow it to take advantage of more cores.
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
If i look at that feature list of Studio One X, Presonus did implement alot of that functionality in S1 version 4.5.

Even better, Presonus implemented even way more new midi functionality in version 4.5:

Like "Fill Notes" , "Thin out Notes", "Mirror Notes", "Fill Notes to Part End", "Randomize Notes".

These are incredibly powerful new midi commands, awesome for (greater) inspiration during midi composing in S1.

Kind Regards.
the biggest problem with all of those functions you cant audition them. everything is commit and undo.
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you test his latest scripts? I didn´t because I didn´t use S1 until the release of 4.5 and was not aware his site is up again.

http://studioonex.narechk.net/index_en.html

Don´t think it would be a mistake if Presonus would contact him. From what I see on his feature list.
I created a crap load of macros myself for midi. with 4.5 new menu stuff i'm reorganizing them before I offer them up
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
What happened to 4.2. 4.3, and 4.4?
Same fate with
Live 9.8 9.9
Bitwig 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9
Cubase 9.6 9.7 9.8 9.9
Protools and Fl Studio 13
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Nut

Last version they went 3.6 to 4.0
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

My Firefox browser is at version 63 and I haven't noticed any changes since dozens of versions ago.
Old 24th May 2019
99x
Here for the gear

No improvement with CPU usage on my end. S1 is such a damn hog. I deal with it because it's such a joy to use.

I'm also hoping the crashing slows down after reinstalling Windows. Seems good so far. I no longer have to run the app as administrator (S1 would crash if I closed a project otherwise)!
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Just trying out the demo here of studio one .
Typing in a new tempo value and pressing enter does nothing , it always reverts back to 120 when pressing enter

So I tried ctrl+Enter which gives an error warning about a plugin crash

Anyhoo ... how to change project tempo in studio one ...never thought I would ask this
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

They mixed up the cc numbers of cut off and resonance , cut off (which is cc74) sends cc 71 , and vice versa
Maybe someone can post this on their forum

Last edited by gentleclockdivid; 25th May 2019 at 01:14 AM..
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Nut

Hopefully they're releasing 4.5 so soon to give themselves lots of time for a big midi update for version 5. NKS, polyphonic aftertouch/MPE, external instruments, fleshed out pattern mode, articulations, better midi controller support and fix midi timing issues.

The only audio/mixing things I'm still waiting for, is proper stereo tracks and easier split/merge to stereo/mono, sends on FX channels, and automation on the project page...
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99x View Post
No improvement with CPU usage on my end. S1 is such a damn hog. I deal with it because it's such a joy to use.

I'm also hoping the crashing slows down after reinstalling Windows. Seems good so far. I no longer have to run the app as administrator (S1 would crash if I closed a project otherwise)!
Wonder what was/is causing the crashes on your system? I think doing all possible Windows updates is important.

Since I bought an RME interface years ago I have had no issues. I had plenty of crashes before that when using another brand's interface.
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone have any ideas or macros for copying and transposing notes in diatonic intervals?
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofun View Post
Anyone have any ideas or macros for copying and transposing notes in diatonic intervals?
i actually just finished a bunch of Macros with various inversions for chords. S1 already has this in the macro chords page if you just want to transpose a note by intervals. otherwise It’s a pretty simple macro of copy, paste, transpose to make a macro that will produce diatonic chords from a root note.
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

ARA 2.0 announced in latest crossgrade promos. As well as deep integration of chord track with an updated Melodyne version later this year.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
...It'd be nice to see notation / score implementation for musicians who use the program. Notion is embarrassingly bad and Presonus should be embarrassed to keep suggesting that its tie in with studio one is a substitute for notation in the daw.
ionian,
I'm asking as someone who now owns S1 and Notion but have not yet actually used them:
What do you think is so terrible about Notion? I thought it was supposed to be strong and quick?
What DAW are you accustomed to that has built-in superior notation?

Craig
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster View Post
ionian,
I'm asking as someone who now owns S1 and Notion but have not yet actually used them:
What do you think is so terrible about Notion? I thought it was supposed to be strong and quick?

Craig
He doesn't like anything lol.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Cut and Paste of automation information still doesn't work on Folder/Buss tracks. It's been broken since 3.5.1, I've shown it to Presonus people att NAMM and they said "Yes, it's broken, but how about Chord Track?".
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykla View Post
Cut and Paste of automation information still doesn't work on Folder/Buss tracks. It's been broken since 3.5.1, I've shown it to Presonus people att NAMM and they said "Yes, it's broken, but how about Chord Track?".
This is really obvious bug
Old 9th July 2019
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster View Post
ionian,

Craig
I have both and use both. Sending parts from S1 to Notion isn't as fast or as convenient as an integrated score editor, but it can be very useful.

It works better than trying to send xml to Dorico or another notation app and having to edit/format, even for quick reference while writing or orchestrating. Integrated notation editing isn't necessarily great either - Cubase' notation editor takes a bit of work to get readable parts, even for quick reference (which is the only time I use integrated notation editors). Digital Performer's Quick Scribe is the best - it's display quantize works better than any other integrated system, so it is very fast to get readable reference parts.

To get quickly readable parts into Notion, the key is to send midi tracks labeled the way Notion expects that instrument (i.e. "violin 1", "cello", etc - rather than "Spitfire Violins1 Legato") so it automatically displays the correct instrument, transposition, etc. The downside is that it can't update an existing part, so you effectively have to work in stages, or be prepared to delete older parts. Notion's display quantize is also better than Cubase's, so it doesn't require as much pre-quantizing and editing.

I would use Dorico for full notation publishing/session prep, but for quick reference while writing, Notion works just fine. If it were integrated directly, that would be great, but integrated score editors always have some tradeoff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search