The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs
Old 8th April 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs

Hello everyone!

I have been a Pro Tools/Logic user for the past 5 years, and I do find that each has it's own strength points/features, like the gird editing in Pro Tools and Automation in Logic. But, I have came across Studio One by PreSonus a couple of days ago and I've been watching many videos. Looks pretty cool and advanced as it combines features from all DAWs and puts them in one place for all users.

I need professional opinion on if it's worth switching to Studio One as it seems to be great for a faster workflow.

P.s: I know that it's all user preference at the end of it but, professional opinions always help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th April 2019
  #2
Here for the gear
 

I've been using Studio One for a few years and recently started using Logic for collaboration and songwriting. After a few projects done in Logic, I would say both are quite similar but with strength and weakness like you just mentioned.

In general, I prefer doing mixing/mastering in Studio One, mainly for quicker clip editing, plug-in selection (the search function is quite nice and handy), and more flexible marker/section tracks. Automation wise both are pretty similar, both efficient.

Logic can do most works Studio One can do, but sometimes with slightly slower workflow, for example inserting plug-in, and changing clip gains. Another function I missed in Logic is the chord tracks where I can simply log the chords I used for the clips, making it easier to revise later on. Logic simply doesn't have this function. Also, the marker/section tracks in Logic will need to run back to back between markers/sections, wherein Studio One you can simply draw anywhere you'd like to mark. Studio One has a second rewind to play start button (mine is '0') if you'd like to replay the same session for another time, without the need to activate loop. I'd say I feel less constrained in Studio One compared to Logic, but please keep in mind that I've been a Studio One user for roughly 3-4 years, and have been a Logic user for just 1 year so I may be biased.

What Logic provides better than Studio One is a huge pack of good virtual instruments, time/pitch flex functions and better community support (the users are more than other DAWs I think). So Logic is quite a well all-rounder if you'd like to do all the works related to audio in one platform. In Studio One you will need Melodyne to edit pitch, though it integrates quite handly.

Logic also comes with Alchemy and is the only platform you can use it. So I'm kind of hesitate about which way to go next, but I guess I will shuffle for another bit before making a whole shift.

They are both good, just give it a try and use whatever suits you better.
Old 25th April 2019
  #3
Gear Head
 

Hi!
In my own humble opinion the flex engine in S1 sounds way far better than Logic's.
It's also lightyears faster (try stretching a mix in Logic, have a coffee and figure out it was not right... :-) )

Pitch-wise, is not a light version of Melodyne light bundled?

Another trick for pitch editing if not too many false notes, is just to separate a region, right click and enter tune in cents or half steps.
Sounds often good even if pitching an octave down, I never got that acceptable in LX.

Alchemy in LX is great.. and many other things like "capture as recording" for midi. And the scoring and see/ read music as music and not pianoroll in Logic!! :-)

Well, I'm an longtime user of both (as well PT but jumped off the wagon, never miss it anymore except for painful transfers... :-) )
Studio One is like in between the two.

Best,
Pelle


Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegtplr View Post
I've been using Studio One for a few years and recently started using Logic for collaboration and songwriting. After a few projects done in Logic, I would say both are quite similar but with strength and weakness like you just mentioned.

In general, I prefer doing mixing/mastering in Studio One, mainly for quicker clip editing, plug-in selection (the search function is quite nice and handy), and more flexible marker/section tracks. Automation wise both are pretty similar, both efficient.

Logic can do most works Studio One can do, but sometimes with slightly slower workflow, for example inserting plug-in, and changing clip gains. Another function I missed in Logic is the chord tracks where I can simply log the chords I used for the clips, making it easier to revise later on. Logic simply doesn't have this function. Also, the marker/section tracks in Logic will need to run back to back between markers/sections, wherein Studio One you can simply draw anywhere you'd like to mark. Studio One has a second rewind to play start button (mine is '0') if you'd like to replay the same session for another time, without the need to activate loop. I'd say I feel less constrained in Studio One compared to Logic, but please keep in mind that I've been a Studio One user for roughly 3-4 years, and have been a Logic user for just 1 year so I may be biased.

What Logic provides better than Studio One is a huge pack of good virtual instruments, time/pitch flex functions and better community support (the users are more than other DAWs I think). So Logic is quite a well all-rounder if you'd like to do all the works related to audio in one platform. In Studio One you will need Melodyne to edit pitch, though it integrates quite handly.

Logic also comes with Alchemy and is the only platform you can use it. So I'm kind of hesitate about which way to go next, but I guess I will shuffle for another bit before making a whole shift.

They are both good, just give it a try and use whatever suits you better.
Old 25th April 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Hi!
In my own humble opinion the flex engine in S1 sounds way far better than Logic's.
It's also lightyears faster (try stretching a mix in Logic, have a coffee and figure out it was not right... :-) )

Pitch-wise, is not a light version of Melodyne light bundled?

Another trick for pitch editing if not too many false notes, is just to separate a region, right click and enter tune in cents or half steps.
Sounds often good even if pitching an octave down, I never got that acceptable in LX.

Alchemy in LX is great.. and many other things like "capture as recording" for midi. And the scoring and see/ read music as music and not pianoroll in Logic!! :-)

Well, I'm an longtime user of both (as well PT but jumped off the wagon, never miss it anymore except for painful transfers... :-) )
Studio One is like in between the two.

Best,
Pelle
Hi,

Yes, I forgot to mention Melodyne Essential is included with Studio One Pro, and that makes the time/pitch editing in Studio One no longer an issue compared to Logic.

Recently started another few projects in Studio One and decided to use it as my main DAW, as I've found shifting back to Studio One has accelerated my workflow. In particular, the faster responsiveness of the whole UI and being able to reorder aux buses in mixer view (you can't do this in Logic unless with a workaround) are two benefits I noticed right away.

The only thing I miss in Studio One is Alchemy haha. But I guess I can live without it.

TL;DR to the OP - I vote for Studio One for a more efficient workflow, but if you'd like more instrument packs, go for Logic is more budget-friendly.
Old 27th April 2019
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Hi !
FWIW:

Been on all DAW's you can think of the last 25 years (mac).
The last 5 years, Reaper became my main DAW, mainly for it's incredible economic CPU usage and it's insane customisibility and scripting support.

However, lately i am lurking more and more towards S1.
It looks way better on my macbook retina than Reaper's crap GUI (yeah, sorry, i am an eye candy type).
But besides that it is very userfriendly, transparant to understand, feels really snappy in everything i do in Studio One and there alot more facts about S1 that i simply love.(among the Chord Track !).

Studio One is being developed by EX-Cubase developers and they did a great job on the programming of Studio One; i assume it has very fresh and optimised code, cause s1 is relatively new, compared to the "Oldie" Cubase (which for me is just too robust and leans on old code, therefore not snappy at all and also less crash-savyy)

I am still using Protools (using it for many years), but that's only when i work with clients that send me a Protools project that i have to finish.
I have never been a fan of Protools for many reasons, also, it's further development seems to cease heavily, opposed to other DAW developments, which bring out updates on a regular basis (from which Reaper is the absolute number one, with weekly updates).
Studio one is a very refreshing DAW imho.
Too bad it's forum community isn't that very active.

Check out these great free S1 tuts from Marcus:
https://marcus-huyskens-music.com/st...ne-tips-tricks
Old 29th April 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I use both pro tools and studio one daily. I was a former logic user from v4.5-v9. I’ve been on pro tools since version 5. That being said they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mixing/recording: pro tools hands down for me. My mixes simply come out better for me in pro tools. It’s still the lowest latency system around (Hdx) and the ease of integrating hardware inserts is really second to none. The busing system is very flexible and the GUI is intuitive, snappy and robust. Also pro told files management system is fantastic. Studio one feels very laggy and droopy with its GUI. The drag and drop thing in studio one is cool to a point but not always faster. I will say that way studio one creates auxes is way faster but the steps you need to take to get those auxes to show up in its arrange window negates all of it. S1 is a folder type GUI where pt is menu based regarding plugins. Folders are ok if don’t have that many plugins but when you have hundreds it’s very annoying as the folders stay open. I prefer the GUI of pt and logic to s1. I feel s1 is cluttered.

Editing: pt wins but s1 is a close 2nd. Cross fading is better in pt and the point and shoot nature of the GUI and simplicity of the editing tools makes it fast. It’s like using Microsoft word for audio. Now there are feature in studio one that are ingenious. The song/arrange bar is fantastic and allows you to restructure a song in seconds. Time stretching and quantizing audio in s1 are superior but you can add the elasique algorithm to pro tools. You can move the timing of a piece of audio within a region in s1 which is huge. Nudging audio in pt superior as you can choose whatever nudge value you want. Most daws can’t.

Midi: logic wins and is really hard to beat. Both s1 and pt are coming along but logic is still way ahead. It piano roll and editing are better and the GUI is snappier. I prefer s1 to pro tools. The reason I left logic was that it didn’t time stamp it’s files when exporting. S1 does which makes transferring files between daws very easy and quick. Offline bouncing and rendering in s1 can be painfully slow with both audio and midi. Both logic and pt are good in this regard. Many here post that they can’t use alchemy in s1...I can and it good but it was always a poor man’s Omnisphere so do you really need it?

Overall if I had to pick one for me I guess it would be pro tools but it’s a tough call. I do better tracks in s1 yet better mixes in pt and enjoy recording in it. Can’t ever see my self leaving...except for maybe reaper. S1 is really great and could be fantastic but it’s not quite ready to replace pt. It’s a great all a round daw. There are some creative macro features s1 that pt simply can’t do yielding some very creative results but pt is so good at what it does well that is really hard to leave. If pure midi and vi’s are your thing then logic is really hard to beat as well. If you want the best of both but not as quite asgood as either in their specialty then go s1. For me s1 serves the purpose bridging the gap between abelton and logic functionality while keeping me close enough to home with pt. A great middle ground.

Ej
Old 29th April 2019
  #7
kdm
Lives for gear
The general workflow is faster in S1 than other DAWs for audio editing, music production and film scoring.

I've used ProTools (just sold my HD license), Nuendo/Cubase, DP and Samplitude (been years since I used Logic). All DAWs have some advantages with certain features. But it isn't common anymore that a specific feature or set of features affect speed and efficiency (i.e. only typical for editors working on a specific task). Years of bolting new features onto legacy code with backward compatibility requirements is evident in each of these. Often a faster approach to even basic tasks just isn't possible without upsetting the habits of existing users.

S1 has a huge advantage in that it is built from the ground up around a modern interface and workflow. Simple tasks, such as copying inserts, creating VIs, or using the mouse-hover to bring the current window into focus (instead of constantly clicking on everything), adds up much faster than less often-used features (such as an advanced cross-fade editor). For the most part, I can insert plugins and new VIs without stopping playback, and without a glitch (this of course changes as you add higher latency plugins, or more complex projects, but it isn't possible in most native DAWs). Another advantage of S1 is no USB license key, no high cost subscriptions, and very reasonable entry prices and upgrades. Regardless of a studio's income, making cost-effective choices to accomplish the same task is always smart.
Old 30th April 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hi !

Too bad it's forum community isn't that very active.
It use to be very active, until they gave the reigns to moderators who liked to ban people indiscriminatingly for complaining about the software, thus it turned into feeling like it was a religious sect type run place... Fortunatelly GS and KVR
are more open, with peoples views on the software.

There's a big thread, one that I keep up to date which is worth checking out, 26K+ views and over 850 posts..

Thoughts, Predictions & Reaction - 4.0....
Old 30th April 2019
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Studio one is a balanced program for music production/mixing/mastering. It's main strength is workflow. If you look at the interviews they are doing what do you notice? Most of the are songwriters/producers. Then you have the Atom which is doing real well. So it's obvious what the stronger market is and who they are targeting.
Old 30th April 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Hi scottym,

I wanna thank you for your valuable response.
I didn't know people are getting banned in the S1 forum for being (too) critical about S1.
That's really a very bad thing IMHO.

I hope i don't get banned at the S1 Community,cause, how much i am beginning to love S1 really much, i also am posting it's quirks, odditie (bugs) and shortcomings in the S1 forum.
Ofcourse, i am fully aware that all my critics about S1 in the S1 forum can be interpreted as being higly subjective :0).

But i am a guy that is always doing deep research in a DAW, taking alot of investment time into that, investigating into great detail how a DAW behaves, can do, can not do.This is also the case for S1.

Thank you for posting your Big S1 Thread URL, i have it bookmarked and will certainly keep my eye on it !

Warm Regards.



Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
It use to be very active, until they gave the reigns to moderators who liked to ban people indiscriminatingly for complaining about the software, thus it turned into feeling like it was a religious sect type run place... Fortunatelly GS and KVR
are more open, with peoples views on the software.

There's a big thread, one that I keep up to date which is worth checking out, 26K+ views and over 850 posts..

Thoughts, Predictions & Reaction - 4.0....
Old 30th April 2019
  #11
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
But i am a guy that is always doing deep research in a DAW, taking alot of investment time into that, investigating into great detail how a DAW behaves, can do, can not do.This is also the case for S1.
If you find a bug that is reproducible, just submit it directly to support. They have been responsive in my experience. Forums are always hit or miss, and never really useful for requesting improvements, reporting bugs, etc. As far as improvements, Presonus uses a Q&A / submission and voting system for feature requests. The forum is really only useful for sorting out problems or questions with other users, as are most DAW forums.
Old 12th May 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Studio One is being developed by EX-Cubase developers and they did a great job on the programming of Studio One; i assume it has very fresh and optimised code,
https://marcus-huyskens-music.com/st...ne-tips-tricks

Only thing about that is S1 it's the worst CPU performer by far, so this new super duper code hasn't worked very well, I tried very hard to use S1 I have a very powerful mac, the people I work with have the same and none of us can run S1 at 96k and actually do anything, Reaper does it easily, Logic does it easily, S1 is just ridiculous, and if anyone complains on the Prosonus forum they get removed, so what is going on? why is S1 so CPU intensive, I can't use it even though I like it and would if I could.
Old 13th May 2019
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Only thing about that is S1 it's the worst CPU performer by far, so this new super duper code hasn't worked very well, I tried very hard to use S1 I have a very powerful mac, the people I work with have the same and none of us can run S1 at 96k and actually do anything, Reaper does it easily, Logic does it easily, S1 is just ridiculous, and if anyone complains on the Prosonus forum they get removed, so what is going on? why is S1 so CPU intensive, I can't use it even though I like it and would if I could.
It depends on your computer.
Old 13th May 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
It depends on your computer.

I run a powerful MacPro.
Old 17th May 2019
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Only thing about that is S1 it's the worst CPU performer by far, so this new super duper code hasn't worked very well, I tried very hard to use S1 I have a very powerful mac, the people I work with have the same and none of us can run S1 at 96k and actually do anything, Reaper does it easily, Logic does it easily, S1 is just ridiculous, and if anyone complains on the Prosonus forum they get removed, so what is going on? why is S1 so CPU intensive, I can't use it even though I like it and would if I could.
Nobody with any sense produces and tracks their songs at 96Khz, it's a waste of CPU resources and disk space in any case. 96Khz is in some cases reserved for final export before final mastering. Besides this, 44.1Khz is completely imperceptible to our hearing which is limited to 20khz, let alone 96Khz to hear any difference.

Additionally, Studio One is one of the most CPU efficient DAW's out there right now...and it's more than likely that it's your lack of understanding in how to use Studio One of which version 3.5 and above includes a dual buffering system.

Studio One works better on PC's. PC's are far better because you can overclock them....more than say you can with with a Mac.

Here's recent comparison with Reason 10.3 and Studio One's current latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwho5W6qeI

Last edited by scottym; 18th May 2019 at 05:06 AM..
Old 17th May 2019
  #16
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Only thing about that is S1 it's the worst CPU performer by far
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Studio One works better on PC's.
Studio One runs at about 40% lower ASIO/cpu load on identical projects compared to Cubase here (PC). I've compared the two with large film score projects as well as VI-heavy music production, and audio mixes.

The OP's cpu-loading problem could very well be Mac-only, or even project related.
Old 17th May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Nobody with any sense produces and tracks their songs at 96Khz, it's a waste of CPU resources and disk space in any case. 96Khz is in some cases reserved for final export before final mastering. Besides this, 44.1Khz is completely imperceptible to our hearing with is limited to 20khz, let alone 96Khz to hear any difference.

Additionally, Studio One is one of the most CPU efficient DAW's out there right now...and it's more than likely that it's your lack of understanding in how to use Studio One of which version 3.5 and above includes a dual buffering system.

Studio One works better on PC's. PC's are far better because you can overclock them....more than say you can with with a Mac.

Here's recent comparison with Reason 10.3 and Studio One's current latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwho5W6qeI
Please don't come over all arrogant on me, I have a lot of "understanding" thanks, I've been doing this a long time, I have Logic , Cubase, S1, and Live, and I have extensive experience using Protools, I was one of the first to start using digital as a recording platform many years ago, I started using an Atari Falcon and then was one of the first to get Cubase VST, so I think I have a good understanding.

So with that said, S1 on my system and on my working colleges systems is pretty bad CPU wise, and none of us use it for that reason, I understand it inside out, including the buffering system, no way is "Studio One, one of the most CPU efficient DAW's out there right now" I can run huge projects in Logic, way way more plugins than S1 and even when its pushed to the max it still stays stable unlike S1, as for a lecture on 96K and being told I must have no sense well you know what you can do with that one, I use both 96k and 44k depending on the project, and I always have very good reasons for which I use.
Old 18th May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raed Abu Shaer View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been a Pro Tools/Logic user for the past 5 years, and I do find that each has it's own strength points/features, like the gird editing in Pro Tools and Automation in Logic. But, I have came across Studio One by PreSonus a couple of days ago and I've been watching many videos. Looks pretty cool and advanced as it combines features from all DAWs and puts them in one place for all users.

I need professional opinion on if it's worth switching to Studio One as it seems to be great for a faster workflow.

P.s: I know that it's all user preference at the end of it but, professional opinions always help.

Thanks in advance.
Most DAWs are better than proools. Presonus Studio one is way better. The only thing I can say negative about Studio one is the UI is a little busy out of the box, but you can tweak it. Personally If I was stitching DAWS cubase is the the one I would go with. It is the fastest and has the most features. The Midi and VI are untouchable.
Old 18th May 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Most DAWs are better than proools. Presonus Studio one is way better. The only thing I can say negative about Studio one is the UI is a little busy out of the box, but you can tweak it. Personally If I was stitching DAWS cubase is the the one I would go with. It is the fastest and has the most features. The Midi and VI are untouchable.
Did you forget to add "IMO" or are you saying this as fact? "better" than protools is really vague, what constitutes "better" for you may not be the case for someone else, they ALL have strengths and weaknesses, S1 is no exception, and as for Cubase being "untouchable" with regard to VI and Midi, Logic touches it very easily, Logic is very powerful when it comes to Midi.
Old 18th May 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Did you forget to add "IMO" or are you saying this as fact? "better" than protools is really vague, what constitutes "better" for you may not be the case for someone else, they ALL have strengths and weaknesses, S1 is no exception, and as for Cubase being "untouchable" with regard to VI and Midi, Logic touches it very easily, Logic is very powerful when it comes to Midi.
Sorry but it is the fastest DAW and the midi and VI are the best out of all the DAWs. Everyone knows this. I don't need to sugar coat it. The only thing Cubase does not do well is looping and pitch correction. So you use ACID and Melodyne for that stuff. Logic is good, I used that for 5 years in the 90s when they were still on Windows PC. I started using it again recently on mac but it just does not have good VI support and the audio engine is slow comparatively to Studio One, Cubase, Samplitude etc..... It bogs down with lots of audio tracks. Problem with logic midi is no stock drum editor and VI capabilities are lacking. Other than that it has decent midi. You can do a some customization but I can't be bothered.

IMO of course
Old 18th May 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Sorry but it is the fastest DAW and the midi and VI are the best out of all the DAWs. Everyone knows this. I don't need to sugar coat it. The only thing Cubase does not do well is looping and pitch correction. So you use ACID and Melodyne for that stuff. Logic is good, I used that for 5 years in the 90s when they were still on Windows PC. I started using it again recently on mac but it just does not have good VI support and the audio engine is slow comparatively to Studio One, Cubase, Samplitude etc..... It bogs down with lots of audio tracks. Problem with logic midi is no stock drum editor and VI capabilities are lacking. Other than that it has decent midi. You can do a some customization but I can't be bothered.

IMO of course
Well most of what you wrote is incorrect but hey you carry on, the world is full of it.
Old 18th May 2019
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Please don't come over all arrogant on me, I have a lot of "understanding" thanks, I've been doing this a long time, I have Logic , Cubase, S1, and Live, and I have extensive experience using Protools, I was one of the first to start using digital as a recording platform many years ago, I started using an Atari Falcon and then was one of the first to get Cubase VST, so I think I have a good understanding.

So with that said, S1 on my system and on my working colleges systems is pretty bad CPU wise, and none of us use it for that reason, I understand it inside out, including the buffering system, no way is "Studio One, one of the most CPU efficient DAW's out there right now" I can run huge projects in Logic, way way more plugins than S1 and even when its pushed to the max it still stays stable unlike S1, as for a lecture on 96K and being told I must have no sense well you know what you can do with that one, I use both 96k and 44k depending on the project, and I always have very good reasons for which I use.
Well, I've been using music software programmed in BASIC and assembly code from as far back as the 1980's, like on an Atari 800XL back in 1986, and producing music through the 1990's on an Atari Mega ST and Amiga based computers (using Soundtrackers like Octamed, Bars & Pipes ect), Playstation console, other than on the PC platform for the past 19 years. I used Mac systems at work primarily for video production back in 2010, and that regular spinning wheel of death out of know where was a big pain in the backside. I even used Magic's Midi Studio Generation 6, which was essentially a clone of Logic back in 2000 on the PC. Much of my music has been online since 2001.. like the first Reason 1.0 track I ever did. https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=11233573

That said, Studio One is just far better on the PC platform than it is on the Mac side, there's always been less bugs and you can check that from the release notes from the past 4 years and from the link I posted above, you can check the issues fixed from version 4.0 right up to 4.1.4.

Other than that, your case that Studio One is poor when using 96Khz..is pretty mute.. Come to think of it, I think we have had this discussion some years before...on another forum lol.
Old 18th May 2019
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hi scottym,

I wanna thank you for your valuable response.
I didn't know people are getting banned in the S1 forum for being (too) critical about S1.
That's really a very bad thing IMHO.

I hope i don't get banned at the S1 Community,cause, how much i am beginning to love S1 really much, i also am posting it's quirks, odditie (bugs) and shortcomings in the S1 forum.
Ofcourse, i am fully aware that all my critics about S1 in the S1 forum can be interpreted as being higly subjective :0).

But i am a guy that is always doing deep research in a DAW, taking alot of investment time into that, investigating into great detail how a DAW behaves, can do, can not do.This is also the case for S1.

Thank you for posting your Big S1 Thread URL, i have it bookmarked and will certainly keep my eye on it !

Warm Regards.

Thanks, it's always nice to be appreciated for their efforts... for however big or small they are. As for Studio One and like many DAWs of today, you'll rarely ever need to use everything it offers and some things you'll probabaly never use, but Studio One is one of the most naturally intuitive DAW's you'll come across. There is a lot to learn, but once you have the basics, everything else will fall into place over weeks, months and years as it's continually developed. By that time, you'll not need the presonus forum for help with the program... It's more of a reference for any bugs people report for me now, which is helpful as I can avoid them by skipping an update.
Old 18th May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Is it possible to share licenses during collaborations with other artists? The FAQs say you get 5 licenses and you can disable a license when not needed.
Old 18th May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Well, I've been using music software programmed in BASIC and assembly code from as far back as the 1980's, like on an Atari 800XL back in 1986, and producing music through the 1990's on an Atari Mega ST and Amiga based computers (using Soundtrackers like Octamed, Bars & Pipes ect), Playstation console, other than on the PC platform for the past 19 years. I used Mac systems at work primarily for video production back in 2010, and that regular spinning wheel of death out of know where was a big pain in the backside. I even used Magic's Midi Studio Generation 6, which was essentially a clone of Logic back in 2000 on the PC. Much of my music has been online since 2001.. like the first Reason 1.0 track I ever did. https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=11233573

That said, Studio One is just far better on the PC platform than it is on the Mac side, there's always been less bugs and you can check that from the release notes from the past 4 years and from the link I posted above, you can check the issues fixed from version 4.0 right up to 4.1.4.

Other than that, your case that Studio One is poor when using 96Khz..is pretty mute.. Come to think of it, I think we have had this discussion some years before...on another forum lol.
Ok well I never talked about S1 on a PC, I was talking about on a Mac which I made clear, also I didn't comment so I could have a pissing war thanks, I was just stating my experiences with S1 and you claimed I must have no sense and lack understanding, which I felt the need to put straight, I do have sense and I have a lot of experience and understanding.

Then your last statement where you proclaim that "your case that Studio One is poor when using 96Khz..is pretty mute.." well that again comes off really arrogant and I really don't understand why, but whatever, I will leave you with your belief's and I will stick with what I know to be true, I was just having a friendly conversation about my experiences, but you clearly want to brow beat someone with your superior knowledge, and put down anyone that has a different view.
Old 18th May 2019
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Ok well I never talked about S1 on a PC, I was talking about on a Mac which I made clear, also I didn't comment so I could have a pissing war thanks, I was just stating my experiences with S1 and you claimed I must have no sense and lack understanding, which I felt the need to put straight, I do have sense and I have a lot of experience and understanding.

Then your last statement where you proclaim that "your case that Studio One is poor when using 96Khz..is pretty mute.." well that again comes off really arrogant and I really don't understand why, but whatever, I will leave you with your belief's and I will stick with what I know to be true, I was just having a friendly conversation about my experiences, but you clearly want to brow beat someone with your superior knowledge, and put down anyone that has a different view.
This is what happens when people make claims about software which is unsubstantiated and far away from the truth on a public forum (you open the door to criticism). As for "sense and lack understanding", I stated know body I.E anyone, not just you specifically and where I did say 'your point is mute...', that's not arrogant, it's just the reality of using DAWs in a practical way...

I was hoping that you might learn something valuable, because not everything you learn is always right.. or indeed practical.
Old 18th May 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
This is what happens when people make claims about software which is unsubstantiated and far away from the truth on a public forum (you open the door to criticism). As for "sense and lack understanding", I stated know body I.E anyone, not just you specifically and where I did say 'your point is mute...', that's not arrogant, it's just the reality of using DAWs in a practical way...

I was hoping that you might learn something valuable, because not everything you learn is always right.. or indeed practical.
Whatever, It was a pleasure talking with you, NOT.
Old 19th May 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 

I am going to answer my own question. Surprised to learn Presonus lets us install 5 licenses on computers no matter who owns the computer as long as the license runs under one account.
Old 20th May 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

CPU usage seems to be heavily optimized now since 4.5 even on Mac.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
shpongled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
CPU usage seems to be heavily optimized now since 4.5 even on Mac.
studio one seems to be in a great place right now with the 4.5 update. the only thing stopping me from using it now is the lack of sysex support!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump