The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Head

I have only managed to put my machine in the knees in 96k and using heavy plugins that oversample.
But most important is just to get the job done:-)
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Reaper, Renoise, Studio One and Harrison Mixbus is the BEST

FL Studio is the Best

Pro tools is the Best

Din is Noise is the Best

Depending on what you want to make, how you want to make it and who you want to make it for and who with

There is one more but it's my secret!

All other daws are redundant, redumbted and repooped

For 100 dollars there is not a daw for you.

You will get pissed off

Get the Studio One starter bundle for 200 or less and you will like it.

While using that save for FL studio License, then you can use all of the studio one gear with it. If you do it ill teach you the game.

All other posts on the internet besides this one are not legit.

Also only get involved with romances that like making music, excersize twice a day , sleep as much as you can, and eat right.

Do this and you'll win. In a group just watch the others wild out and get faded. Before you know it youll be getting mad royalties off your ascap and bmi accounts. Soundexchange.com is your friend.

Do it right. Do it your way. The rest of the internet is fake.

Old 7th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Best way to make beats less than $100

Spend $15 on a DBA Licence.

Free Business Bank account

Spend $75 for IRS IEN Inc.

Raid recycle bins at local schools and print out work for higher contracts and have people with massive DAWs sign beats over to you.

To pay for the beats secure a government grant.

Then the rest of it is listed at sba.gov
Old 8th September 2019
I agree the MIDI side of Studio One is a bit clunky for now, it's fine if you use software synth plug ins but with external midi hardware it still has a long way to go, the timing is sloppy and it gets worse when your session starts to get dense.

Last edited by Mario-C.; 8th September 2019 at 07:42 PM..
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

I just got Studio One 4.5.3 about 2 weeks ago
After having used and still using Pro tools and Reason and having tried Reaper on the 60 day trial .

So far (understanding I am new to S1) I would rank it slightly second to Pro Tools for overall Audio editing and mixing workflow (albeit) there definitely are some features I like compared to PT. for example the being able to swipe select tracks and then select either a Bus Track or FX track and have them auto assigned is stellar.

Have not done enough Midi to make an informed judgement.

Over all for me personally in general intuitive workflow It definitely ranks above both Reaper and Reason IMO.

Couple issues I have run into already vs PT
#1 I guess there really is nothing like the PT multi tool

#2 I was editing some audio tracks and used the little fade drag icon at the end of the event/clip to throw in a fade (which PT has also) However on the second track ,I trimmed some off the end of the event, then went to try to do a fade and the little triangle fade icon would not show ? ( unlike PT which has that option no matter how much you have sliced up a clip/event) Unless there is some key command to show the fade slider after trimming ? which so far I could not find in the manual.

The most frustration issue so far is even though I did select the Pro Tools option for Keystroke Shortcuts , and I did detach the mix window (As per a recent Studio One Expert video) The command and =/+ shortcut to toggle between the Mix and edit window does not work. and F3 simply reduces both windows and shows them both.
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I just got Studio One 4.5.3 about 2 weeks ago
After having used and still using Pro tools and Reason and having tried Reaper on the 60 day trial .

So far (understanding I am new to S1) I would rank it slightly second to Pro Tools for overall Audio editing and mixing workflow (albeit) there definitely are some features I like compared to PT. for example the being able to swipe select tracks and then select either a Bus Track or FX track and have them auto assigned is stellar.

Have not done enough Midi to make an informed judgement.

Over all for me personally in general intuitive workflow It definitely ranks above both Reaper and Reason IMO.

Couple issues I have run into already vs PT
#1 I guess there really is nothing like the PT multi tool

#2 I was editing some audio tracks and used the little fade drag icon at the end of the event/clip to throw in a fade (which PT has also) However on the second track ,I trimmed some off the end of the event, then went to try to do a fade and the little triangle fade icon would not show ? ( unlike PT which has that option no matter how much you have sliced up a clip/event) Unless there is some key command to show the fade slider after trimming ? which so far I could not find in the manual.

The most frustration issue so far is even though I did select the Pro Tools option for Keystroke Shortcuts , and I did detach the mix window (As per a recent Studio One Expert video) The command and =/+ shortcut to toggle between the Mix and edit window does not work. and F3 simply reduces both windows and shows them both.
It does take a bit to get used to S1, and there are some features that I had to find and eliminate in options boxes that drove me nuts.

#2 sounds like the same problem I was originally having. Are you merging parts? If so, that sounds like the same problem. Someone here explained that one to me. Bounce the parts together instead of merging.

Not sure what merging is useful for. Once you merge you don't get clip volume either.

I did the same thing with protools shortcuts, and really missed the "b" to break the audio up, so I made a keyboard shortcut. Once you get going with keyboard shortcuts and macros, S1 can really move.

I don't really miss protools much if at all any longer. I just wish all of the song's I've been working on in PT for the past few years could be moved to S1 with a snap of my fingers.

Good luck.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post

#2 sounds like the same problem I was originally having. Are you merging parts? If so, that sounds like the same problem. Someone here explained that one to me. Bounce the parts together instead of merging.
No I was just trying to trim the end of a guitar part that had a "bump the mic click" after the guitar stopped resonating (ring out) . If I clicked on the event before trimming then the fade icon slider showed at the upper right side at the end of the event. Once I trimmed the part back past the click , then the fade slider icon would not show. And there seems to be no command to show a fade window, like PT which I assume does not exist. I then had to open up an automation lane and manually do a fade out by reducing the fader level at an angle . Which is doable but pretty clunky by comparison.
Old 12th September 2019
Hmmm.

I think I've seen that when I wasn't zoomed in far enough to suit S1 (which I felt was plenty far enough

If it was there before you cut though, I'm not sure why it happened.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm.

I think I've seen that when I wasn't zoomed in far enough to suit S1 (which I felt was plenty far enough

If it was there before you cut though, I'm not sure why it happened.
I will check out the zoom, thanks
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

It's worth having a look at the autofades feature as well.
This applies a set length fade-in and fade-out with one command, but there's a macro option so you can set your own fade length.

I also made a macro (one of my favourites because it's sneaky!) for doing exactly that type of edit:

You just point your mouse where you want the event split and hit the macro and it cuts the event and applies a fade (that you can set in the macro to whatever length you like but best kept short obviously).
There are 2 macros really, one for cut and fade in and one for cut and fade out.
Sounds simple but try making it yourself, it's a fun puzzle!

I will share it if you can't, don't worry
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Addict

I just posted this...

Pro Tools HDX vs S1/Quantum Latency

Presonus is definitely on top of their game!

Last edited by TexasCat; 15th September 2019 at 06:06 PM..
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Nut

Great DAW. SO4Pro is now my main daw, mixbus32C is my 2nd daw. SO's devs are brilliant. Took a sub to PT Ultimate but.. .i prefer SO. (very stable, less expensive etc... great workflow.)

And nice tech support !

thinking now about buying a presonus console + a faderport (8 or 16 tracks) to have a complete set ready to go.
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

Great thread!

I'm a Logic user considering an alternative. One of the main reasons is Logic's quirks with external sequencers, but it sounds like S1 might not be straight forward either.

I'm 95% MIDI (mostly virtual instruments with some MPC Live sequences mixed in) with the occasional bass or guitar recording. I like Logic's MIDI, but S1 has some cheat codes Logic doesn't. And S1's mixer seems to have more flexibility.

The hunt for MY perfect DAW to create & mix in continues. S1 is the only one I'm looking at currently. It's either S1 or stick with Logic.
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Great thread!

I'm a Logic user considering an alternative. One of the main reasons is Logic's quirks with external sequencers, but it sounds like S1 might not be straight forward either.

I'm 95% MIDI (mostly virtual instruments with some MPC Live sequences mixed in) with the occasional bass or guitar recording. I like Logic's MIDI, but S1 has some cheat codes Logic doesn't. And S1's mixer seems to have more flexibility.

The hunt for MY perfect DAW to create & mix in continues. S1 is the only one I'm looking at currently. It's either S1 or stick with Logic.
yeah i'm in the same position in terms of considering an alternative to logic. main motivation for wanting to switch is that i'd like to be using a cross-platform daw. i like macos but don't like being chained to their hardware, especially in the last few years.

i think i may need to stick with logic for now though unfortunately. if S1 had better midi support (sysex etc.) and an integrated score editor, i would've probably already switched.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

First impression of SO 4: Very nice!

Question to SO users:

In Cubase I used to work with many simple instrument tracks, meaning I right click in the tracks window and go create instrument track. Then I have a track for one VST synth that goes into a mixer.

But for my drums (Battery 4) I used the VST Rack, allowing me to create an instance of Battery 4 which I can activate several outputs of. I then create several MIDI tracks for each of the drums (a track for bass drum, one for snare drum, one for hihats, etc.) all controlling this single Battery instance.

Is this possible in Studio One, too?

I used to work with Cubase 6 for years but I want to get rid of dongle based software now. Even my Sonnox Dynamics and other iLok-stuff has to go although it did a good job. I just cannot accept developers to solve their piracy protection by annoying me with those damn USB sticks anymore.

So I'm testing Sutdio One 4 now. And I must say: Wow! Never tested any DAW I had the feeling of getting used to it that fast. I really love the concept of one window and the drag and drop workflow. Though there are some things like above that I haven't yet figured out.

This is day 2 of testing it.
Old 1 week ago
I don't do this, and I'm not at home, but pulled up my laptop version that has only the bare bones version on it.

I dropped Presonus Impact instrument on the edit window to open a new instrument track. I selected a preset on it.

I then double clicked the empty space below this track to insert a new track, chose instrument track, and can then choose the impact instrument as it's destination, so I think you can do what you want.

Interestingly, all of the impact outputs were set up in the mix window automatically.

Unfortunately I can't really test this for you, but hopefully this is what you were looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I made the leap. It was late when the install finished, so I didn't get to do anything, but I'll be divining in tonight to create some templates. Can't wait. Still not sure if I'm going with the Faderport 16 tough.

One thing I had to overlook is stereo balancing instead of true stereo panning, and having to rely on that plugin. I'm going to hate that. Hopefully they add true stereo panning in the near future. My understanding is it took Logic a while too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't do this, and I'm not at home, but pulled up my laptop version that has only the bare bones version on it.

I dropped Presonus Impact instrument on the edit window to open a new instrument track. I selected a preset on it.

I then double clicked the empty space below this track to insert a new track, chose instrument track, and can then choose the impact instrument as it's destination, so I think you can do what you want.

Interestingly, all of the impact outputs were set up in the mix window automatically.

Unfortunately I can't really test this for you, but hopefully this is what you were looking for.
Thank you very much for trying! As it reads this seems to work. So I just have to duplicate that instrument track a few times and that's all.

Will check that this evening. If this works, then I will have trouble finding tasks So wouldn't let me do.

Cubase has some fine MIDI insert effects I'm not sure I'm gonna find there but on the other side I feel I will not really need them nowadays.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
Thank you very much for trying! As it reads this seems to work. So I just have to duplicate that instrument track a few times and that's all.
I'm not sure that you want to duplicate the instrument track with the VI on it, but instead create new instrument tracks with no instrument on them to put your drums on, and assign them to the VI. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
Cubase has some fine MIDI insert effects I'm not sure I'm gonna find there but on the other side I feel I will not really need them nowadays.
I still miss some Protools features, but for the most part, when I go back to PT now after working in S1 for 3 or 4 months, I'm not sure why I waited so long.

Interestingly, I absolutely hated having the mix window pop up on the main screen, and made it a separate window on another screen (like I always set up protools), but after just a little while I got to where I really like how they set it up on the main screen, and the mix button on my faderport pops it on and off instantly. It's really pretty elegant.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm not sure that you want to duplicate the instrument track with the VI on it, but instead create new instrument tracks with no instrument on them to put your drums on, and assign them to the VI. Hope that makes sense.
Oh okay, that's how much I've been used to Cubase. Expected the same logic here. Thanks!
Quote:
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I'm looking forward to spend much time with testing it now. But for what I've learned just yesterday I'm already amazed by the UI and the workflow it offers. Good to read that a former PT user switched to SO!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Just tested assigning several tracks to a Battery instance… Works like a charm! Just had to CTRL-drag the track below itself. Then I activated several outputs of Battery – super easy and fast! Just have to go to the instruments list in the Mix section and click on the device name. Then a list of all available outputs drops down and you can tick boxes to activate them. Goes much faster than in Cubase.

I'm pretty sure: Studio One will be my next DAW. I celebrate it! Going to get rid of those f***ing dongles and even going to get a software I like much better.

More !
Old 1 week ago
Glad it worked out for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search