The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
It doesn't. Pipeline is the closest to the way PT works with inserts. You are able to save the preset with routing etc in pipeline though no? I'm curious how that's worse than PT? Basically the same workflow (insert into plugin slot)...The benefit to something like pipeline is the same IO can be used for other things in other sessions more easily, and IO doesn't have to match- IE in PT inserts have to be on outputs 3-4 and inputs 3-4. I had to wrap my head around pipeline a bit, but it was the same for me getting PT inserts to work too.
Thanks for the clarification

Ah I thought perhaps that was the case
so .... and I do have my M7 and 3U saved as Pipeline presets. Your right it's not a big deal or worse per. se. but you do have to go over and select Effects then scroll down to Pipeline then drag to track which seems to me a bit more cumbersome OR maybe I'm just used to PT and imagining it

Quote:
Not really for outboard instruments- you can use an insert in PT to have audio from the external instrument show up in the same track, but commit to audio doesn't work (last I tried at least). Also you lose the unused outputs assigned to that insert.
I don't know I only use two external HW effects in Aux tracks and haven't tried commit to audio from one of my instrument tracks I'll check that
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks for the clarification

Ah I thought perhaps that was the case
so .... and I do have my M7 and 3U saved as Pipeline presets. Your right it's not a big deal or worse per. se. but you do have to go over and select Effects then scroll down to Pipeline then drag to track which seems to me a bit more cumbersome OR maybe I'm just used to PT and imagining it
If you click the + sign for inserts in S1 there is a search function like PT- just click the plus and start typing. Either on inspector or the mixer, I find that faster and easier than drag and drop.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you click the + sign for inserts in S1 there is a search function like PT- just click the plus and start typing. Either on inspector or the mixer, I find that faster and easier than drag and drop.
Hey thanks again for the tip. So then pipeline will show in the search function as stereo pipeline and you click it and it adds it to the inserts ? And then you have select the correct preset on pipeline like with drag and drop yes ? Better and not a big deal but still an extra step compared to PT. Anyway thanks ...
BTW is there a key command in S 1 like in PT, that will slow down things like send level selection response ?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey thanks again for the tip. So then pipeline will show in the search function as stereo pipeline and you click it and it adds it to the inserts ? And then you have select the correct preset on pipeline like with drag and drop yes ? Better and not a big deal but still an extra step compared to PT. Anyway thanks ...
BTW is there a key command in S 1 like in PT, that will slow down things like send level selection response ?
Yeah, you hold opt I believe to slow it down- I forget which modifier, but it's one of the 4.

And you can also select the presets from the little drop down in the top left where it normally says "default". You may need to also save the preset in that menu to be able to access it there.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, you hold opt I believe to slow it down- I forget which modifier, but it's one of the 4.

And you can also select the presets from the little drop down in the top left where it normally says "default". You may need to also save the preset in that menu to be able to access it there.
Thanks Ill try the option key (no doubt I could look it up in the reference manual, guess I'm just being lazy)

To clarify are you referring to the "default/preset " button on the Pineline GUI itself ?

IF the GUI ? then as I said, I have both hardware units already set up as Pipeline presets, But also as I was noting it's and extra step. (not a deal breaker but an extra step)
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You can pre-define any plugin or plugin chain to insert with or without a preset selected and bind it to a key command or controller button to insert with one key press.

This is the fastest way to insert plugs, but you can only have as many insert 'triggers' as you have spare buttons/keys obviously.

You can just use a modifier like shift in keyboard shortcuts to double up on keys though.

You do the plugin/preset selection via a macro which is what you bind to the keys.
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Ill try the option key (no doubt I could look it up in the reference manual, guess I'm just being lazy)

To clarify are you referring to the "default/preset " button on the Pineline GUI itself ?
It's not the plugin gui, it's the header in the plugin window that all plugins show...and yeah, Like quetz said you can make a macro to load that plugin with that preset and assign it to an unused key command. Then only have to hit that key command when the track is selected.
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not the plugin gui, it's the header in the plugin window that all plugins show...and yeah, Like quetz said you can make a macro to load that plugin with that preset and assign it to an unused key command. Then only have to hit that key command when the track is selected.
Ah ok I see thanks
Old 18th October 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raed Abu Shaer View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been a Pro Tools/Logic user for the past 5 years, and I do find that each has it's own strength points/features, like the gird editing in Pro Tools and Automation in Logic. But, I have came across Studio One by PreSonus a couple of days ago and I've been watching many videos. Looks pretty cool and advanced as it combines features from all DAWs and puts them in one place for all users.

I need professional opinion on if it's worth switching to Studio One as it seems to be great for a faster workflow.

P.s: I know that it's all user preference at the end of it but, professional opinions always help.

Thanks in advance.
New contributor to the community here and a bit late to the original post, but wanted to say that there are a lot of great thoughts in this thread. I've dabbled in multiple DAWs and Studio One can definitely get the job done efficiently. I develop and use a lot of custom grooves/quantization settings and one of the things that I love about Studio One is that you can store them as presets that you can easily access in all your projects. Here's a video of how you'd apply custom grooves in case you wanted to see the workflow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Rr...l=VocalPockets). If you decide to go with Studio One, and you want this feature, you should pick up the Artist or Professional Version.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
In S1, did you try to disable the hybrid buffer? Under audio setup, set dropout protection to minimum, and then set your block size to the lowest you can get away with.

For some workflows this will make performance way worse, for others way better. It's interesting because I built my main production/recording template in Reaper and the performance was terrible- Worse than PT, Logic, S1 and even Ableton.

To me it goes to show how difficult it is for DAW makers to optimize CPU/core-balancing for all different users.
It turns out that I didn't have dropout protection enabled at all! With it enabled, performance is quite good. CPU usage in the Performance Monitor generally sits at around 50% depending on what plugins I'm using. And I've since realized that what Studio One calls "CPU" usage is analogous to what Reaper calls "Real-Time CPU" usage, not overall CPU load. It's a measure of the load on the single thread used for real-time audio playback. That's a pretty huge distinction.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference. And it's a maxed out 2019 iMac.

And obviously not everyone, or even a majority of people are having these issues. They would've been forced to address them. But there are enough people having issues that this is not an isolated incident. Sending them every crash report, computer report and any other document they ask for should expose a problem with my set up. Their abilities seem to be limited to reading which plugin is named in a crash report and telling me to delete it.

Their support is just poor. They haven't solved a single ticket I've submitted. My Komplete Kontrol controller disconnects from S1 under reproducible circumstances. After the help desk level "try a new USB cable" suggestion, they were stuck. Despite them handling the implementation of the KK software, they tell me they don't keep "every controller" on site to troubleshoot the reproducible circumstances.
I don't have the full Kontakt or Kontrol, but I've never had any problems with Kontakt 6 Player or any third-party plugins crashing Studio One on my PC. It could matter that you're on a Mac, but only because it's a different OS using a different audio engine, so a lot of variables are different. In general, Macs work well, and CoreAudio is solid. Maybe there's something weird about your audio interface. I had an audio interface cause inexplicable problems in the past. Waves support even spent a week trying to solve it for me, thinking it was a problem with their plugins, but no -- swapping in a different audio interfaced solved the issue immediately.

But now I ramble.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
They told me this 2 versions ago. Seriously. You can't handle major plugins which is all I have?! (Waves, Fabfilter, Spectrasonics, Toontracks, etc)

I can't understand why Logic Pro X and Studio 1 Three whatever blow up under the same stress of multiple plugins, but Reaper doesn't and it's not considered as robust.

I keep coming back to it despite WANTING to like these other 2 DAWs which continually prevent me from making music for their inability to be stable.

This all on Macbook and iMac.
Not sure what plugin issues you guys are having specifically, but, in case it helps: I ran into one for which there was an easy fix. It was when the plugin wasn't showing up after some half-assed, abandoned Ilok login I did. I found out from the Jeezo user here that there's a file at C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 5\x64\Plugins-en in Windows 10. If it plugin shows <Attributes numClasses="0"> under the name, change the 0 to a 1, then restart the DAW and it shows gets rescanned and shows up. Since I tried that no issues with PLugins not showing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I find S1 to be the most feature rich, but so many basics have been glossed over, at least compared to other DAWs I've used; Logic and Pro Tools. Needing a plugin for stereo panning, for example.
No offense, I find it odd how the lack of built-in dual panner gets mentioned ( usually by PT users ) as some sort of inherent obstacle or deficiency . It's odd because Studio One's channel strip doesn't really have any kind of controls except pan and volume, and that seems to be quite intentional. Presonus give the ability to embed all of their plugins (including add-ins) directly in the track channel strip by right-clicking on the plugin drop-down in the channel and hitting 'expand'. Why then, I wonder, would anyone need it to be a built-in unremovable part of the channel strip when getting a PT-style setup requires only the 2 or 3 second cost of bring up the Dual Pan plugin and hitting 'expand' once? Thereafter, you could just copy it from channel to channel just as if it was baked right into the channel strip.The advantage to that approach over the ProTools layout is that you can do with eq's or pretty much any Presonus and (some 3rd Party) plugins. Also the paid-for add-ins, like the Presonus tube channel strips.

I can't speak to the rest of your complaints,the stability and so on. I feel your pain there. I'm a Windows user on v5. My experiences are different because of the different OS's and versions, but I'll just say I've seen some weird **** in S1 that ought to have been caught in beta testing. There are considerable variables due to all the different plugins and so on, but they ought to be able to sandbox them in such a way it isn't a risk to the app.

I think what it boils down to is this:Presonus need to figure out what kind of DAW they want to be and stick to that blueprint. Hopefully it's one oriented towards smooth and efficient mixing. I wish they'd stop complicating their code base with a bunch of redundant crap meant to lure in the penniless bedroom producer crowd. Don't even many new engineers have enough third-party synth and drum vsti's to not care about acquiring more useless musical toys for free? For Christ's sake, grab Reason and run it in Rewire if you want something to play with.

Hopefully, Presonus refocus on getting mixing perfected. This is going to entail them actually seeking out feedback and advice from a community of professional audio mixers. For awhile, that's how things seemed to be going like it was a DAW intent on providing workflow improvements, and would move beyond any pain points and bugs. Today, I'm not so sure. They seem to think it's all about keeping up with Ableton and dumping in as much crap as possible. How well did that work to expand Sonar or Samplitude's user base, adding in all of those little extras?

Audio professionals can't afford to get slowed down by nonsense like crashes or plugin issues, and most of them today largely use ProTools. Many of those would love to make the full switch to S1 due to Avid's ridiculous pricing. Some have, but if Presonus can't get their crap together-- if they keep half-assing support by hiring lazy, inept staff that categorically write off the products of entire plugin companies because they don't want to get to the root of the problems--well, then we'll all just go back to ProTools or Cubase,cost be damned.

Get it together, Presonus!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
No offense, I find it odd how the lack of built-in dual panner gets mentioned ( usually by PT users ) as some sort of inherent obstacle or deficiency .!
Whats not to get ?
It's not so much that not having it is a deficiency.
It's that having it is an advantage Yes were only talking a few seconds, but a few seconds is still extra time spent for a workaround .
If one typically uses stereo tracks having dual panner already "Baked in " is simply more efficient (if you like to pan stereo tracks control the the position and spread ,
like having the select tracks and then click add FX or BUS tracks and having it auto routed like S1, is an efficiency advantage .
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats not to get ?
It's not so much that not having it is a deficiency.
It's that having it is an advantage Yes were only talking a few seconds, but a few seconds is still extra time spent for a workaround .
If one typically uses stereo tracks having dual panner already "Baked in " is simply more efficient (if you like to pan stereo tracks control the the position and spread ,
like having the select tracks and then click add FX or BUS tracks and having it auto routed like S1, is an efficiency advantage .
Fair enough, but if one doesn't use stereo panning much (for example, if one leans towards LCR mixing), then having it constantly show on all stereo tracks could just as similarly be construed as a disadvantage, in the sense that some small part of the screen real estate is tied up unnecessarily for numerous tracks.

The point is that it's a trivial difference either way. We're talking about a one-time cost of a few seconds. Sure, it's fair to have a preference one way or another; it just doesn't make sense that it gets singled out in so many Jeremiads as indicator how little S1 has progressed, or how Presonus don't understand the needs of mixers, which is so often the insinuation, if not actual words, I read in discussions where this is mentioned. Not talking about the OP particularly; I've read it elsewhere in statements along the lines of 'I can't believe S1 doesn't even have a stereo panner yet and users have to use a plugin!' The insinuation is that it's a measure of how immature S1 is a DAW. That complaint doesn't hold water because there's nothing inherently disadvantageous about using a plugin that comes free with the DAW vs the DAW itself in terms of performance, stability, or actual usage. So there's no reason to think leaving it out of the channel strip was a design oversight.I would argue it was likely the opposite since using the stock provided plugins and embedding them in the channel strip allows the best of both worlds. One can customize a single track very easily, and copying the effects on that channel to new channels is even easier still. My guess is that most of the people making the argument simply haven't used S1 long enough to notice the 'expand' feature and thought very long on the merits of that approach. I know I didn't..not for several months. Regardless, either way, point is that it's a one-time, negligible cost. It's as fast , if not faster, to to use 'duplicate' to add a new track than to to add a blank track. So simply having one track with Dual Pan already expanded is all you need to make it work. Of course, most will have Dual Pan as part of a larger strip. Since we're on the subject, that's an advantage to having it as a plugin that's always ignored: you can move Dual Pan around so it's positioned before some plugins or after others if you want; if it's built in the channel strip you have no control over the matter.

I've noticed that the former PT users that mention Dual Pan tend to complain about other things for which there is already a simple solution that they're seemingly unaware of, such as that tracks are too fat (you can move the sends to top vs the right and make them skinnier with the arrows) ,or that the colors don't cover the whole mixer channel (which you can enable with 'Auto-Colorize' option ). Things that are trivial to change, in other words. Meanwhile, other features that would actually make mixing significantly easier, such as like multi-generational freeze and unfreeze for tracks and busses ala the Samplitude implementation never get mentioned at all, probably because the PT implementation is only marginally better than the Studio One.

In case anyone is wondering, bus freeze is just what it sounds like, and of course, is enormously helpful with reducing CPU in PT, Samplitude and others. As it stands, the only answer to the lack of buss freeze in S1 is to bound the buss and import it , then deactivate the source tracks, which gets incredibly messy if those tracks also had auxillary sends. Plus it's plus it's easy to to wind up with a different level on the rendered buss if the master fader isn't set to unity in advance of exporting. If it's set below that, you end up reducing the volume on the buss twice, throwing off its level in the mix. It can be done but it takes some patience and practice and is a personal pain point.

Similarly, there is no answer to the lack of multi-generational freeze and unfreeze and S1 at all. 'Multi-generational freeze and unfreeze' means being able to freeze a freeze and unfreeze and go back to first freeze without losing the ability to unfreeze that first freeze. So one can commit at any point along the way, and do further commits without losing recall of either, or waiting on re-rendering steps that don't necessarily need to be redone. This is actually something of a real risk in S1 if it catches one offguard , if somewhere along the way the file got degraded in a way that only becomes audible as the mix takes shape. The best way to safely work around this at present just is to keep an intact copy of the complete original take at hand, so one can redo the freezes from from ground-up if need be. Often that's good idea anyhow, but I'd much rather have the choice of being able to revert to previous steps while resting assured that additional freezes won't result in my losing recall on the earlier freezes. Of course, this never gets mentioned as a needed feature because PT's track freeze implementation is only marginally better: it lets one see the plugins that were frozen, rooty-toot-toot! BTW, if anyone needs a work-around to accomplish that in S1: unfreeze track, save effects as a strip, undo the unfreeze, then bring up the chain you saved. Better than having to re-render unnecessarily just to see what was frozen.

Anyways, back to Dual Pan...who cares, really. Whether one agrees or not with my position above, it's a subject unworthy of any more of our time. If some users want to convince Presonus want to put a dual panner in the channel, far be it from me to try to stop them. I'll even give them some of my votes on the Presonus website as a gesture of good faith.
Lives for gear
Personally, it PT or otherwise, I always use a mix of balance panners and dual panners. IMO they both have their place.

Having dual or balance as the default one on the mixer is neither here nor there for me, but I would love it if we could switch between the two on the mixer itself...

I also like the psychoacoustic panners like 2caudio precedence. Maybe the best bet would be to have to actual mixer panner also be a plugin, so we could just pick which one works best for each scenario...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
I don't have the full Kontakt or Kontrol, but I've never had any problems with Kontakt 6 Player or any third-party plugins crashing Studio One on my PC. It could matter that you're on a Mac, but only because it's a different OS using a different audio engine, so a lot of variables are different. In general, Macs work well, and CoreAudio is solid. Maybe there's something weird about your audio interface. I had an audio interface cause inexplicable problems in the past. Waves support even spent a week trying to solve it for me, thinking it was a problem with their plugins, but no -- swapping in a different audio interfaced solved the issue immediately.

But now I ramble.
Nothing weird about my audio interface using Logic, or even the MPC DAW-like software.

It will be a while, but I'll likely be looking for a 16 input interface at some point. It would be a nice surprise if that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
No offense, I find it odd how the lack of built-in dual panner gets mentioned ( usually by PT users ) as some sort of inherent obstacle or deficiency . It's odd because Studio One's channel strip doesn't really have any kind of controls except pan and volume, and that seems to be quite intentional. Presonus give the ability to embed all of their plugins (including add-ins) directly in the track channel strip by right-clicking on the plugin drop-down in the channel and hitting 'expand'. Why then, I wonder, would anyone need it to be a built-in unremovable part of the channel strip when getting a PT-style setup requires only the 2 or 3 second cost of bring up the Dual Pan plugin and hitting 'expand' once? Thereafter, you could just copy it from channel to channel just as if it was baked right into the channel strip.The advantage to that approach over the ProTools layout is that you can do with eq's or pretty much any Presonus and (some 3rd Party) plugins. Also the paid-for add-ins, like the Presonus tube channel strips.
Not sure what you mean. My 1st DAW was PT, but Logic has a stereo panner option as well. It's in the same place and takes up no more room than S1's balancer. Unremovable? Why would anyone want to remove a pan knob?

I didn't know about the embed and expand feature though. Still need to update all my templates, but it is slicker to use than opening the plugin. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You guys happy with the new release? Seems many via facebook, presonus forum etc think it's becoming bloated, and more cpu hungry. I notice they have been adding so many features to these updates. If you look at Steinberg/Ableton they stopped doing that, slowed down releases with so many features, and focused on bug fixing.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
You guys happy with the new release? Seems many via facebook, presonus forum etc think it's becoming bloated, and more cpu hungry. I notice they have been adding so many features to these updates. If you look at Steinberg/Ableton they stopped doing that, slowed down releases with so many features, and focused on bug fixing.
The CPU issues are worse, I don't like the extra click to get to the marker and tempo page, and I am having buffer size noise issues that weren't there before.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
The CPU issues are worse, I don't like the extra click to get to the marker and tempo page, and I am having buffer size noise issues that weren't there before.
I agree with extra clicks to get there it is a little annoying and the interface is beginning to look cluttered.

I've not seen any CPU issues though but I always adjust buffer size and dropout protection manually depending on what I do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
To those of you noticing issues what platform are you on and how big are the sessions?

I'm ok, not noticing any difference. That's using Windows 10 and Ryzen 5 3600 with up to 50 track count including a few virtual instrument. I record and 44.1 though.
Lives for gear
Quote:
The CPU issues are worse, I don't like the extra click to get to the marker and tempo page,
The rulers? If you grab the right side of any track header and pull it just a little bit to the right the buttons will come back at the top instead of the dropdown.

I'm not having CPU issues, but all of v5 hasn't been as stable overall as 4- getting crashes from things like deleting a bunch of tracks while the song is playing.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I see that issue all the time. I'm on a i9. Are you going to hang in or go to another DAW? I think they are going to lose a lot of customers if this get's worse. Sphere isn't all that, and I dropped it.
Here for the gear

Hey guys I have been producing music since 2008. I initially started with fruity loops between 2008 - 2014. Then made the switch to Logic Pro X and i took break from producing music between 2016 - 2020 and now I want to get back to producing music in 2021. I wanted some advice. Should I get a second hand maxed out 2015 macbook pro for 1400 usd (i7, 16 gb ram 2 tb ssd) and logic pro x 10.5 or get a brand new maxed out windows laptop (i7 32 gb ram and 2 tb ssd) for 1500 usd and get a presonus studio one 5.

Judging from the videos ive seen on youtube presonus is the future standard daw. I have used cubase before in college. so i am familiar with cubase sx3.

I will be using komplete 13 ultimate collectors edition and maschine mk3.

so which daw will suit my needs?

please let me know your suggestions.

Last edited by iamcremo; 2 weeks ago at 10:46 AM.. Reason: added content
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcremo View Post
Hey guys I have been producing music since 2008. I initially started with fruity loops between 2008 - 2014. Then made the switch to Logic Pro X and i took break from producing music between 2016 - 2020 and now I want to get back to producing music in 2021. I wanted some advice. Should I get a second hand maxed out 2015 macbook pro for 1400 usd (i7, 16 gb ram 2 tb ssd) and logic pro x 10.5 or get a brand new maxed out windows laptop (i7 32 gb ram and 2 tb ssd) for 1500 usd and get a presonus studio one 5.

Judging from the videos ive seen on youtube presonus is the future standard daw. I have used cubase before in college. so i am familiar with cubase sx3.

I will be using komplete 13 ultimate collectors edition and maschine mk3.

so which daw will suit my needs?

please let me know your suggestions.
My suggestion on anything Mac related is to buy a minimum of FOUR cores. Get it? 4 Core. So if you can find a 2015 Macbook with 4 Core, 16GB, and SSD drive of the size you ned, that is optimal.

I preferred getting a 2014 15" (only 15" had 4 Core in that time frame) bc of the earlier type of track pad. The newer ones don't actually depress and hurt my fingers more.

The 4 Core won't stall or fart on you. I had a nice 2015 2 core that was slower than my 2011 iMac. The 4 Core 2014 I replaced it with is faster than my slightly newer 2012 iMac. So my desktop and mobile are similar in speed and feel, mirror imaged backup on both for complete compatibility. (I use Carbon Copy Cloner to an external SSD to make an image drive so I can be up and running in no time. No hassle with re-installing software for hours or in my case.. DAYS...)
Here for the gear

Quote:
My suggestion on anything Mac related is to buy a minimum of FOUR cores. Get it? 4 Core. So if you can find a 2015 Macbook with 4 Core, 16GB, and SSD drive of the size you ned, that is optimal.

I preferred getting a 2014 15" (only 15" had 4 Core in that time frame) bc of the earlier type of track pad. The newer ones don't actually depress and hurt my fingers more.

The 4 Core won't stall or fart on you. I had a nice 2015 2 core that was slower than my 2011 iMac. The 4 Core 2014 I replaced it with is faster than my slightly newer 2012 iMac. So my desktop and mobile are similar in speed and feel, mirror imaged backup on both for complete compatibility. (I use Carbon Copy Cloner to an external SSD to make an image drive so I can be up and running in no time. No hassle with re-installing software for hours or in my case.. DAYS...)
I am not a computer guru but i was thinking of building a windows laptop and i selected this ram: 32GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)

is it good for presonus? I prefer windows over mac. Mac's are overpriced which i means I have to ditch logic pro x.
Here for the gear

Quote:

You mean quad core i7 proccesor?

the macbook pro i was interested offers superb performance of extremely fast i7 Quad Core CPU.
Here for the gear

I need your advice guys.

Should i get a second hand apple macbook pro - Quad core i7 proccesor, 16gb ram. 2 tb ssd and logic pro x 10.5
or

A brand new built windows laptop with 32 gb ram , Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo), 2 tb ssd

+

Presonus studio one 5

The price of both is about similar.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
You mean quad core i7 proccesor?

the macbook pro i was interested offers superb performance of extremely fast i7 Quad Core CPU.
I don't think the processor matters as much as the cores. I bet tests would show quad i5 to exceed dual i7, but if you can find quad i7 all the better!

You can find speed results, single-core and multi-core tab, here to see which models perform better than others:
https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
I need your advice guys.

Should i get a second hand apple macbook pro - Quad core i7 proccesor, 16gb ram. 2 tb ssd and logic pro x 10.5
or

A brand new built windows laptop with 32 gb ram , Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo), 2 tb ssd

+

Presonus studio one 5

The price of both is about similar.
What I've liked about Macs in the past is, you create an image and can just put that into your new Mac and be running in under an hour. But going forward, after 2020, Macs won't be based on the Intel chip and could break your backed up image. Meaning you could only re-image your drive on pre-2021 mac products most likely.

It's rare that you can image your PC to some new PC b/c hardware don't match.

As far as Macs go, I'm on an 8yo imac and 6yo desktop and don't see the need to upgrade until they die. So I can see making pre-2021 macs last at least until 2030 or maybe a little bit past that with luck. Longer if the used market is as strong as it is today for mac products. Can't beat the longevity, stability, and transferability of macs. Or else wait for 2021 products, install your whole studio there, and maybe image transfers will be good on the new chips going forward? Hard to tell with Apple. They aren't as smart as they used to be.
📝 Reply