The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
Thanks, I don't mean routing Instrument outputs.

Just breaking up MIDI tracks into their pitches.
There's "Explode Pitches to Tracks" in Instruments Parts menu. Right click the event first.

It can be useful but the other solution is more elegant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Is there a way to view the bars/beats ruler along with a time based ruler?

Cubase offers ruler tracks for this and Ableton shows both, but I can’t see a way to do it in S1.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider9 View Post
There's "Explode Pitches to Tracks" in Instruments Parts menu. Right click the event first.

It can be useful but the other solution is more elegant.
Thanks.

Not if you want to delay the snare, for example.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
Thanks.

Not if you want to delay the snare, for example.
I get it but you can still do it without. I edit each hit separately after recording. But yeah it may be easier to split them just remember every note will be split that includes all intonations. That means you're snare will end up being on a few tracks if you're using different hits.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I am a devoted user since V1 after dumping Logic when Apple released X.
Fantastic program with great functions and workflow. But slowly it became hard for me to work because the GUI got tiring for me. Both the busyness of it with each update, fonts and colors.
Although I love the drag an drop features of it, sometimes it gets in the way. Presets for example. I just want to click or double click to load. Dragging them one by one is not intuitive. Also transient detection and stretch algorithms are weak. Tempo detection is flawed. So after apple released Logic 10.5 with new sampler instruments and DMD I went between Cubase and Logic. Although Logic is ancient compared to Studio one and Cubase, missing a lot of modern features, for me it is less tiring on the eye and better patch/preset organizing scheme. Also great transient detection and stretch Algos. So I got used to the shortcomings but can work longer with less eye fatigue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
Both the busyness of it with each update, fonts and colors.
Presonus simply refuses to let people freely customize the colours.

They're begging for it since forever.

I suspect they don't want their DAW to show up on Youtube in all kind of weird colours and maybe impractical contrast settings, so they won't have a recognizable and conservative product and corporate identity.

Technically, implementing free customization should be done in a few minutes.

I guess..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Might be but then they should do something about it.
I mean this is not too inviting either. It looks to me total chaos.
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs-screen-shot-2020-08-29-12.22.16.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Might be but then they should do something about it.
I mean this is not too inviting either. It looks to me total chaos.
You need a 2nd display.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thumbs down

Quote:
Fantastic program with great functions and workflow. But slowly it became hard for me to work because the GUI got tiring for me. Both the busyness of it with each update, fonts and colors.
Although I love the drag an drop features of it, sometimes it gets in the way. Presets for example. I just want to click or double click to load. Dragging them one by one is not intuitive. Also transient detection and stretch algorithms are weak. Tempo detection is flawed. So after apple released Logic 10.5 with new sampler instruments and DMD I went between Cubase and Logic. Although Logic is ancient compared to Studio one and Cubase, missing a lot of modern features, for me it is less tiring on the eye and better patch/preset organizing scheme. Also great transient detection and stretch Algos. So I got used to the shortcomings but can work longer with less eye fatigue.
I agree although I personally find Cubase extremely easy on the eyes, almost as easy as Logic. S1 on the other hand just feels way too busy and excessive. Turning off highlighting of tracks in the arrange and mixer based on colour helps a bit, but not much. The fonts are my biggest issue, they are small and hard to read compared to Cubase. I think they’re trying to fit so much in a little space and they’ve gone a bit too far.

For example, I want to see readouts for levels on my sends, and the slider for sends is tiny too. the clip titles are tiny as are the track names

I should qualify this by saying that I am visually impaired which likely makes the issue worse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The fonts are my biggest issue, they are small and hard to read compared to Cubase.
This might have to do with the rest of your system.

With me it's the exact other way round.

S1 fonts are ok, not great. Cubase fonts look like ass.

EDIT: Well, ok, they're still small, the S1 fonts, but I have a big 4k display.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Hi all,

i'm debating leaving s1 in favor of nuendo. I'm a long time pt user and still use pt as my main recording and mixing daw. Nuendo seems to be the best all a rounder. Seems to have deeper and more robust midi features and editing and mixing capabilities to rival pro tools. nuendo also has ara capabilities and uses elastique for time stretching.

my issues with s1 are mainly with the gui and my mixes always come out better in pt. bouncing in place with s1 is dismally slow, i much prefer menu driven plugin windows vs s1's folder based system and the whole drag and drop thing isnt really that much faster for me. And lastly i generally prefer my master fader and buses on the left side of the screen.

what are your thoughts?

ej
A couple thoughts, first is, when you change DAWs it will take some work to get to a place where your mixes are as good as Ol' Faithful. Also if you are going from HDX to a native system, you will have a better experience on a faster/newer computer than the cheesegrater.

With specific things like plugin menus v folders, check to see if alt workflows work for you. For me, I prefer menus as well, but with search and my own preset chains, I'm not spending a lot of time hunting for plugins.

The GUI in S1 is what it is, I like the darker look, less eye strain, but I wish there was more contrast to waveforms vs their backgrounds. Some track colors are worse than others...

BIP is slow in S1, with a fast computer I only need it to make one event unique to another, or fx like reverse reverb.

If you use track folders with busses, they will be to the left and the foldered tracks will spill to their right. Also, if you click the wrench in the mixer you can choose to put busses where you want. The master is locked on the right though.

For me, what makes it worth it to invest my time in S1 is the trajectory- what they've done in 10 years is amazing, and many innovations (arranger track, editable folder events, the chord track, ARA, etc). Also compared to other companies, they do a pretty good job of listening to the customer base (GUI notwithstanding!), they are pretty quick to support things like Console1, NKS, etc. And the control link system makes something like Qmap possible.

For me, Qmap plus Console 1 is an amazing control surface workflow. Better than D-command, and in s small enough package that I can have C1, 16 faders, my qwerty keyboard and my 88 keyboard all right in front of me...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I so agree. I spend so much time resizing windows in S1. I also wish the transport was at the top of the screen. The GUI is so busy that it’s hard to get comfortable. I also have issues with the accuracy of s1’s transient detection.

I really do like s1 mostly and it has increased my speed in productions....but I’m looking to get even faster workflows
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I so agree. I spend so much time resizing windows in S1.
On that, do you use cmd + f2 and f3 to detach/redock the editor and mixer? Once you make the detached versions full screen size, you can toggle back and forth between docked and full screen. I rarely use the mixer docked. In my templates it's just too much crammed into there. But also with Qmap (I'm using with Xtouch main plus extender), I don't need to open the mixer screen as much anyway...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i use 'explode to pitches' a lot with my midi drum creations but that is about it. i import or build the parts and sometimes play them in with a pad. i then work on the virtual drum kit i wish to use and once it is all sounding pretty close i 'explode pitches to track' and 'bounce to new tracks'. that way i have ALL the separate drum kit pieces recorded to their own audio track for mixing purposes. i then just remove the virtual instrument and midi tracks if i need the resources back.

it may seem more work than needed to some but i am old school audio mixer and that is just how i prefer to work. to me it is quite simple and straightforward. i know i can freeze etc. if i need to go back and edit but i usually have everything as i want before i split the midi up and record the audio pieces.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
It's very interesting to read everyone's opinions. I don't have experience working in any other serious DAW for any length of time to compare. I agree that transient detection is pants. I don't really use time stretching to have known.

I actually like the workflow that much that I dont care about colours. And the Consoles Shaper on some tracks can sound awesome and no other DAW offers that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
I agree although I personally find Cubase extremely easy on the eyes, almost as easy as Logic. S1 on the other hand just feels way too busy and excessive. Turning off highlighting of tracks in the arrange and mixer based on colour helps a bit, but not much. The fonts are my biggest issue, they are small and hard to read compared to Cubase. I think they’re trying to fit so much in a little space and they’ve gone a bit too far.

For example, I want to see readouts for levels on my sends, and the slider for sends is tiny too. the clip titles are tiny as are the track names

I should qualify this by saying that I am visually impaired which likely makes the issue worse.
Yes I love Cubase and its GUI. Used to think it was crowded than S1 but it passed Cubase and V 10.5 looks beautiful. I just prefer Logic for certain workflow features.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cool

Quote:
Folders are ok if don’t have that many plugin's but when you have hundreds it’s very annoying as the folders stay open. I prefer the GUI of pt and logic to s1. I feel s1 is cluttered. Ej
Hi,

With reference to S1 and the folders staying open, to my limited knowledge you can actually turn that off. The option is in one of the spanner drop down menus on the LHS. Either the one on the mixer or the one above.

As for the GUI being cluttered, take a look at Cubase and with S1 you can quite easily hide things like the mixer when not required you inputs, outputs when not required.

I can't really comment on Pro Tools as I have only ever used it very briefly but over Cubase I much prefer S1. I left Cubase for S1 and I feel comfortable using S1 and it feels like a part of me. Everything just seems to be logical and most times if I want to do something I've not thought of, most times I find it can.

I've been using S! since version 4 and love it. It is great imho

Best
Soulmansblue
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegtplr View Post
What Logic provides better than Studio One is a huge pack of good virtual instruments, time/pitch flex functions and better community support (the users are more than other DAWs I think).:
Hi,

Studio One is now also available through (optional) subscription (Sphere) and comes with every available piece of software that PreSonus does including Notion and is frequently added to.

So on this front it must surely add a number of additional virtual instruments to Studio One. I know that they have just add 'Deep Flight,' if I got the name right and it's pretty cool.

You also have all the instrument that come with Notion, so overall that is quite a number to have at your disposal at anyone time. Studio One is still growing and continues to improve. You now have the new 'Show' section for using it live, I don't know of any other DAW that offers quite the same facility.

My only gripe is cosmetic, I hate the default colour selection and wish there were far more colours available. I'm colour blind and most look almost the same to me.

Best

Soulmansblue
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Although Logic is ancient compared to Studio one and Cubase, missing a lot of modern features, for me it is less tiring on the eye and better patch/preset organizing scheme.
I don't think that's correct. Logic has more features than S1. Cubase is more ancient than Logic. Cubase's heritage goes back to the early 80's as successor to Pro16 on the Commodore 64.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use both pro tools and studio one daily. I was a former logic user from v4.5-v9. I’ve been on pro tools since version 5. That being said they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mixing/recording: pro tools hands down for me. My mixes simply come out better for me in pro tools. It’s still the lowest latency system around (Hdx) and the ease of integrating hardware inserts is really second to none. The busing system is very flexible and the GUI is intuitive, snappy and robust. Also pro told files management system is fantastic. Studio one feels very laggy and droopy with its GUI. The drag and drop thing in studio one is cool to a point but not always faster. I will say that way studio one creates auxes is way faster but the steps you need to take to get those auxes to show up in its arrange window negates all of it. S1 is a folder type GUI where pt is menu based regarding plugins. Folders are ok if don’t have that many plugins but when you have hundreds it’s very annoying as the folders stay open. I prefer the GUI of pt and logic to s1. I feel s1 is cluttered.

Editing: pt wins but s1 is a close 2nd. Cross fading is better in pt and the point and shoot nature of the GUI and simplicity of the editing tools makes it fast. It’s like using Microsoft word for audio. Now there are feature in studio one that are ingenious. The song/arrange bar is fantastic and allows you to restructure a song in seconds. Time stretching and quantizing audio in s1 are superior but you can add the elasique algorithm to pro tools. You can move the timing of a piece of audio within a region in s1 which is huge. Nudging audio in pt superior as you can choose whatever nudge value you want. Most daws can’t.

Midi: logic wins and is really hard to beat. Both s1 and pt are coming along but logic is still way ahead. It piano roll and editing are better and the GUI is snappier. I prefer s1 to pro tools. The reason I left logic was that it didn’t time stamp it’s files when exporting. S1 does which makes transferring files between daws very easy and quick. Offline bouncing and rendering in s1 can be painfully slow with both audio and midi. Both logic and pt are good in this regard. Many here post that they can’t use alchemy in s1...I can and it good but it was always a poor man’s Omnisphere so do you really need it?

Overall if I had to pick one for me I guess it would be pro tools but it’s a tough call. I do better tracks in s1 yet better mixes in pt and enjoy recording in it. Can’t ever see my self leaving...except for maybe reaper. S1 is really great and could be fantastic but it’s not quite ready to replace pt. It’s a great all a round daw. There are some creative macro features s1 that pt simply can’t do yielding some very creative results but pt is so good at what it does well that is really hard to leave. If pure midi and vi’s are your thing then logic is really hard to beat as well. If you want the best of both but not as quite asgood as either in their specialty then go s1. For me s1 serves the purpose bridging the gap between abelton and logic functionality while keeping me close enough to home with pt. A great middle ground.

Ej
I know the above post is old, but it is such an excellent post that I wanted to say so, so bounce!
Old 4 weeks ago
Is there any way to have multiple plugins from the same insert chain open/visible at the same time? I don't like having to scroll through them, i like to be able to see multiple simultaneously. Particularly for metering
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Is there any way to have multiple plugins from the same insert chain open/visible at the same time? I don't like having to scroll through them, i like to be able to see multiple simultaneously. Particularly for metering
Kick on the little pin/thumbtack icon in the top right corner.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I don't think that's correct. Logic has more features than S1. Cubase is more ancient than Logic. Cubase's heritage goes back to the early 80's as successor to Pro16 on the Commodore 64.
Of course it depends what features you use. coming back to Logic from Studio One I miss a lot.

Movable mixer channels
Plugin Search
Extended Plugin drag drop were you can drag drop anything to anywhere.
Drag dropping an fx plugin on a send creates a buss.
Drag midi events to an audio track for a quick bounce and back to midi anytime even after edits.
Chord Tracks
Polyphonic Audio files following chord track.
Audio transform ( A better freeze where you can edit freely)
Realtime Region FX
Drag Drop Melodyne Track to a Midi Track
Overlapping events
More advanced Arrangement Track with playlist option and Scratch Pad.
No core audio reset and plugin reload when audio buffer is changed.
Faster responding audio engine.
Automation Shapes.
Automation Transform tool.
Converting Folder Tracks to Buss tracks back and forth.
Mixer Scenes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I so agree. I spend so much time resizing windows in S1. I also wish the transport was at the top of the screen. The GUI is so busy that it’s hard to get comfortable. I also have issues with the accuracy of s1’s transient detection.

I really do like s1 mostly and it has increased my speed in productions....but I’m looking to get even faster workflows
What size screen do you have?

I have a 43" 4K screen here and a 27" 2.5K one, but I develop Qmap on the 27" as it's closer to what most people will be using.

You shouldn't need to constantly re-size windows, but you need to accept that you have to customise your experience when it comes to layout - Ryan made a great point about toggling between docked and full-screen mixers, you can set this as a button press on your controller too.

Another way to declutter is to set the Plugin GUI to follow the selected channel, so it changes as you select tracks, rather than opening more and more on screen then having to close others.
If you want more up at once then you can pin them.

You can also use the mini GUIs in the console where available (click expand).

I'd also like to see a moveable transport bar..

The real key to workflow is to only have on screen what you need at any one time, and to be able to manipulate this from a controller.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Just comparing DAWs these days.
I own Logic, Ableton and Studio One, and used Cubase (long-term) and Bitwig (short-term) in the past. I stopped using Cubase 10 years ago, but recently had a few days with the demo-version.

While Studio One has the most features that are important for me, it's now the DAW that seems the least attractive to work with. Let me explain.

The good: S1 can do a few things better than other DAWs. Zooming is easier than in Logic, navigating through the timeline is much better than with Ableton's severely lacking arrangement workflow. Frequent updates.

The bad: The GUI is cluttered with too many labels, texts, icons. Bad design decisions, the god-awful unchangeable blue (I know, Presonus corporate identity blue will probably never change). Transport section looking lost within all those other things in that bar. Inconsistency with icon sizes ("cycle/loop" much larger than "stop"). The poor design affects all of Presonus though. The website, the GUI, the controllers they offer. It feels more discounter, less premium product.

It feels like S1 went for the "quantity instead of quality" path.

But despite frequent updates, some long-term feature requests were still not heard, coming to...

The ugly: Working with Apple's Magic Mouse, S1 becomes a car crash. Often unknowingly, values get change because you JUST hovered over that knob, slider or fader, and wiped your magic mouse, which S1 interprets as mouse wheel action, and uses that to change values (Pan, volume, anything). There is no way to disable that "feature" and ultimately makes S1 unusable for me. This behaviour isn't present in Logic or Ableton. Can't check Cubase now, would be interesting.
Then, automation. It's so badly solved that I forgot what the problem was, but I will be able to recreate my frustration with it.

Yeah, S1 has the basics that let me work on a project from start until the mixing stage, but puts so many hurdles, inconsistencies, messy design decisions in the way, that it's ultimately no joy to work with.

While I can't work from start to end with any other DAW (Cubase missing tap tempo, Ableton missing basic arrangement view features, Logic missing deeper Console 1 integration), S1's feature set is not enough to be an attractive DAW for me. It's just all too messy and random.

The mouse wheel behaviour makes it the most unreliable, the cluttered GUI makes it the most unergonomic, the design makes it the most unpleasant DAW to work with.

Just sad, because in those Studio One 2 times I had high hopes for the future of this DAW. Now at 5, not much has changed compared to 3. Guess it's time to give it up.
Old 6 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Just comparing DAWs these days.
I own Logic, Ableton and Studio One, and used Cubase (long-term) and Bitwig (short-term) in the past. I stopped using Cubase 10 years ago, but recently had a few days with the demo-version.

While Studio One has the most features that are important for me, it's now the DAW that seems the least attractive to work with. Let me explain.

The good: S1 can do a few things better than other DAWs. Zooming is easier than in Logic, navigating through the timeline is much better than with Ableton's severely lacking arrangement workflow. Frequent updates.

The bad: The GUI is cluttered with too many labels, texts, icons. Bad design decisions, the god-awful unchangeable blue (I know, Presonus corporate identity blue will probably never change). Transport section looking lost within all those other things in that bar. Inconsistency with icon sizes ("cycle/loop" much larger than "stop"). The poor design affects all of Presonus though. The website, the GUI, the controllers they offer. It feels more discounter, less premium product.

It feels like S1 went for the "quantity instead of quality" path.

But despite frequent updates, some long-term feature requests were still not heard, coming to...

The ugly: Working with Apple's Magic Mouse, S1 becomes a car crash. Often unknowingly, values get change because you JUST hovered over that knob, slider or fader, and wiped your magic mouse, which S1 interprets as mouse wheel action, and uses that to change values (Pan, volume, anything). There is no way to disable that "feature" and ultimately makes S1 unusable for me. This behaviour isn't present in Logic or Ableton. Can't check Cubase now, would be interesting.
Then, automation. It's so badly solved that I forgot what the problem was, but I will be able to recreate my frustration with it.

Yeah, S1 has the basics that let me work on a project from start until the mixing stage, but puts so many hurdles, inconsistencies, messy design decisions in the way, that it's ultimately no joy to work with.

While I can't work from start to end with any other DAW (Cubase missing tap tempo, Ableton missing basic arrangement view features, Logic missing deeper Console 1 integration), S1's feature set is not enough to be an attractive DAW for me. It's just all too messy and random.

The mouse wheel behaviour makes it the most unreliable, the cluttered GUI makes it the most unergonomic, the design makes it the most unpleasant DAW to work with.

Just sad, because in those Studio One 2 times I had high hopes for the future of this DAW. Now at 5, not much has changed compared to 3. Guess it's time to give it up.
Hi!
Hoping you find a good DAW that works for you!!

Just sharing some of my experience.

I had similar impression with so much information/ cluttered, but after a while I know what to look for and its not an issue... (maybe like the pilots in the cockpit with all the meters :-) )

I'm running a studio having clients recording and producing music.
As for now, I'm very happy in S1 and get the job done quickly, also writing/ producing.
Before I have been using Logic, PT, Ableton, Reaper... they are all good for different things, I'm still using Ableton for live performances.

The mouse issue.. I wrote a request some time ago.. Just checked, saw you already have seen it :-) Here a link if others wants to see: https://answers.presonus.com/4329/op...w=58665#a58665

I'm hoping and is confident Presonus make something to solve it. (My own impression is that they are taking notice from the feature request page)

After getting strain in my hand using the Magic Mouse, I found the Logitech Anywhere MX mouse, makes especially the scrolling easier. Now I can't go back.. :-) Not a solution, just a tip.

Best, Pelle
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

One again I am frustrated with S1 -4

Have used PT since 2003 I am no doubt biased and spoiled in some areas

I really like S1 but there are things (as Polarelch) noted that still seem unnecessarily problematic or convoluted

For me the primary one currently is having to use the Pipeline plugin for external hardware processors. which Honestly is cumbersome compared to how external hardware processors simply show up the in I/O section, of the inserts window in a PT track.

Let me explain my specific situation.

The + for S1 is will work within a session an play 3 party sound (which my PTHD with Avid Omni will not)

Because of covid. the one Open Mic I participate in, has switched to virtual on line , via the Zoom meeting App.

And I had both my Bricasti M7 Reverb (via AES Digital I/O ) and my 3U Mastering Compressor (via analog I/O) working when tracking into S1 in my Zoom S1 session, that I could just click on and then use as my sound input in the Zoom app.

But I decided I wanted to use them like I do in PT as mixing effects (not tracking effects)
I am running two analog input channels one vocal mic and one acoustic guitar mic, and I have the 3U on the Main outs channel, and I have the Bricasiti set up on a FX channel (wanting the reverb to be a parallel FX ) and send from the Vox and and Gtr channels independently to that FX channel

But for some reason Pipeline plug in for the Briacasti will show signal in the send meter of of the Pipeline GUI BUT no return signal is showing , and no reverb audible verb effect is happening ??????
I will post a screen shot later

Last edited by KevWind; 2 hours ago at 02:59 PM..
📝 Reply