The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs
Old 31st July 2020
Here for the gear

Hi. Is there any way to render (transform or commit in PT term) buses and fxes in S1? The only way i found is via export stams and check import checkbox. But this way i loose all my rooting
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebedevNikita View Post
Hi. Is there any way to render (transform or commit in PT term) buses and fxes in S1? The only way i found is via export stams and check import checkbox. But this way i loose all my rooting
Maybe you could do it via Ghost Outputs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e55ShTCxJDc
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

can always solo and use song mixdown to what ever format and dump what is in the loop range markers if all else fails cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
In S1, did you try to disable the hybrid buffer?
What/where is that? Never heard.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
What/where is that? Never heard.

Thanks.
Click on performance on the bottom bar, set dropout protection to minimum, then increase the block size under audio settings until it's stable.

This doesn't work well for my workflow, but I saw some people on the presonus forums stating it worked the best for them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Click on performance on the bottom bar, set dropout protection to minimum, then increase the block size under audio settings until it's stable.

This doesn't work well for my workflow, but I saw some people on the presonus forums stating it worked the best for them.
Thanks, I know that part.

I was wondering what a hybrid buffer is, and how/why one would disable it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:

It's a great way to use your processing power to suit your needs. I use this all the time. For recording I'm using Minimum drop out with 8 sample buffer. For larger For mixing Maximum with 256.

This gives me best of both worlds. Minimal latency when recording and max performance when mixing with no issues.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks, I know that part.

I was wondering what a hybrid buffer is, and how/why one would disable it.
A hybrid buffer (what some people call it at least) is when there is the actual buffer/block size setting for tracks that are record armed or monitoring live inputs, and a seperate, 2nd buffer that is higher for tracks that are already recorded and only playing back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider9 View Post
It's a great way to use your processing power to suit your needs. I use this all the time. For recording I'm using Minimum drop out with 8 sample buffer. For larger For mixing Maximum with 256.

This gives me best of both worlds. Minimal latency when recording and max performance when mixing with no issues.
Interesting, I'll have to play with it like that. Unfortunately in my world, 'tracking' is typically done on the same day 'mixing' is done
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebedevNikita View Post
You can render individual tracks and should you need them back you can transform them back to real time audio. Never worked in PT but I'd guess it is the same.

Alternatively you can import mixdown of whatever you desire with or without bypass on your master buss. This is done via options on your Export Mixdown window so no messing about.

Sadly, there's no way to print busses but the above solutions are good enough for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Interesting, I'll have to play with it like that. Unfortunately in my world, 'tracking' is typically done on the same day 'mixing' is done
Hahaha. It takes a few seconds to change 2 settings definitely worth it. And if you need to do overdubs in the middle of a mix. Render your audio tracks first if you're to using CPU heavy plugs. Change the settings and even in a heavy project you should be OK. Then revert back to real time audio after the take. Change the settings back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

What's the deal with dropout protection anyway?

Are there now audio dropouts hidden in my recording, that S1 doesn't alert me about?

Increasing in number, when I decrease the "protection" level?

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
For recording I'm using Minimum drop out with 8 sample buffer. For larger For mixing Maximum with 256.
wtf, your Maximum is my Minimum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
What's the deal with dropout protection anyway?

Are there now audio dropouts hidden in my recording, that S1 doesn't alert me about?

Increasing in number, when I decrease the "protection" level?

Hahaha, no. In fact I went and re-read the manual after your questions. Thank you for this. Here is the quote from manual.

Audio Dropout Protection and Low-Latency Monitoring
When you are working with a large amount of audio tracks and virtual instruments, computer performance can limit your capabilities. You can increase the amount of buffer to help free up computer resources, but this traditionally comes at the cost of greater latency (or delay) when monitoring audio inputs or playing virtual instruments. Set the buffer too low, and audio dropouts and glitches can occur.

To remedy this, Studio One features Audio Dropout Protection and an advanced Native Low-Latency Monitoring system. Under this system, the tasks of audio playback and monitoring of audio inputs and virtual instruments are handled as separate processes. This, in effect, lets you use a large processing buffer to handle heavy audio playback and effects processing tasks, while keeping latency low for audio input and virtual instrument monitoring.

So some of you may wonder why I use Minimum Dropout protection when recording. Two reasons 1) rig can handle it 2) Minimum uses less CPU

However the second might be misconstrued as it's using it differently. So that's not necessarily better. I need to do some testing.

Quote:
wtf, your Maximum is my Minimum.
My projects aren't usually that big. If you count all the tracks, sends and busses we're talking max 50 faders. Also I'm recording at 24/44.1

I was going in blind a few months ago so had to build a PC for audio recording for the first time. I made some mistakes but performance is decent. Now knowing what I know I'd definitely tweak some things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

@ insider9

What's the thing made of?

I got a laptop with i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, SSD Drive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
@ insider9

What's the thing made of?

I got a laptop with i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, SSD Drive.
Desktop
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB 3000MHz DDR4
NVMe SSD
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi all,

i'm debating leaving s1 in favor of nuendo. I'm a long time pt user and still use pt as my main recording and mixing daw. Nuendo seems to be the best all a rounder. Seems to have deeper and more robust midi features and editing and mixing capabilities to rival pro tools. nuendo also has ara capabilities and uses elastique for time stretching.

my issues with s1 are mainly with the gui and my mixes always come out better in pt. bouncing in place with s1 is dismally slow, i much prefer menu driven plugin windows vs s1's folder based system and the whole drag and drop thing isnt really that much faster for me. And lastly i generally prefer my master fader and buses on the left side of the screen.

what are your thoughts?

ej
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Hi all,

i'm debating leaving s1 in favor of nuendo. I'm a long time pt user and still use pt as my main recording and mixing daw. Nuendo seems to be the best all a rounder. Seems to have deeper and more robust midi features and editing and mixing capabilities to rival pro tools. nuendo also has ara capabilities and uses elastique for time stretching.

my issues with s1 are mainly with the gui and my mixes always come out better in pt. bouncing in place with s1 is dismally slow, i much prefer menu driven plugin windows vs s1's folder based system and the whole drag and drop thing isnt really that much faster for me. And lastly i generally prefer my master fader and buses on the left side of the screen.

what are your thoughts?

ej
I can't comment on Nuendo, but I bought Cubase and S1 this year in an attempt to try and work all within one app for mixing, audio and MIDI - as I use Pro Tools daily for mixing, and have been a long time Logic and Ableton user for MIDI programming.

It's hard for me to be totally impartial about Pro Tools because I have used it daily for many years, and know it so well. That said, when looking at other apps I still find Pro Tools the most intuitive with the cleanest GUI. As an example, I recently upgraded to a Pro Tools version with Folder tracks and, as with most things Pro Tools rolls out, I got my head around the way the folders work super quick, how to setup and incorporate them in to my day-today work all within a very, very short space of time. This is often my personal experience with new PT features over the years.

So basically after exloring other DAW options than PT, I came back to it with a fresh appreciation of how well designed it is. Perhaps not the most stable or feature rich, not to mention Avid's annoying tactic of forcing you to upgrade or go subscription - but I've now satisfied my curiosity about other DAWs.

S1 though, I have to say is excellent and probably my favourite out of Cubase, Logic, Ableton and Bitwig. It's a very cool DAW and has a very fresh feel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
(...) deeper and more robust midi features and editing and mixing capabilities to rival pro tools.
S1 is really lame, if it come to MIDI editing.

At least let us put in 3rd party MIDI inserts, eh? No MIDI compressor?

I never understood the difference between Cubase and Nuendo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
S1 is really lame, if it come to MIDI editing.

At least let us put in 3rd party MIDI inserts, eh? No MIDI compressor?

I never understood the difference between Cubase and Nuendo.
Hi!
Check out the transformer-tool... :-)

Best, Pelle
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Studio One vs other DAWs-screenshot-2020-08-28-10.52.23.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Hahaha, no. In fact I went and re-read the manual after your questions. Thank you for this. Here is the quote from manual.

Audio Dropout Protection and Low-Latency Monitoring
When you are working with a large amount of audio tracks and virtual instruments, computer performance can limit your capabilities. You can increase the amount of buffer to help free up computer resources, but this traditionally comes at the cost of greater latency (or delay) when monitoring audio inputs or playing virtual instruments. Set the buffer too low, and audio dropouts and glitches can occur.

To remedy this, Studio One features Audio Dropout Protection and an advanced Native Low-Latency Monitoring system. Under this system, the tasks of audio playback and monitoring of audio inputs and virtual instruments are handled as separate processes. This, in effect, lets you use a large processing buffer to handle heavy audio playback and effects processing tasks, while keeping latency low for audio input and virtual instrument monitoring.

So some of you may wonder why I use Minimum Dropout protection when recording. Two reasons 1) rig can handle it 2) Minimum uses less CPU

However the second might be misconstrued as it's using it differently. So that's not necessarily better. I need to do some testing.

My projects aren't usually that big. If you count all the tracks, sends and busses we're talking max 50 faders. Also I'm recording at 24/44.1

I was going in blind a few months ago so had to build a PC for audio recording for the first time. I made some mistakes but performance is decent. Now knowing what I know I'd definitely tweak some things.
Hi!
I find the Dropout protection working great!
Have only found one situation when it is in the way. In a live recording when I want to record the mix of the outputs/ headphones (making a cuemix for the band to listen and select takes from). But works as intended when I turn it off the Z.

Best, Pelle
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Hi!
Check out the transformer-tool... :-)

Best, Pelle
Thanks, that's something good.

Not as good as inserts, but will do for now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi all,

what are your thoughts?

ej
I think you're just so used to PT that anything now will have to be close enough in workflow for you to want to use it. I'd start with a demo of any new DAW before you spend money as you will likely find lots wrong (read different to PT) with each. This isn't a criticism as you know best what you're looking for.

In regards to S1 drag and drop I love it. Do it all the time. You don't have to do it from browser. You can drag an effect from on track to the other. Tempo from a mapped file into Tempo track. But I guess you know these. Arranger track drag and drop is my favourite though.

I'm not that far down midi but what are your issues with it? And what are you looking for? Linking to info is just as good if you don't want to type. Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think you're just so used to PT that anything now will have to be close enough in workflow for you to want to use it. I'd start with a demo of any new DAW before you spend money as you will likely find lots wrong (read different to PT) with each. This isn't a criticism as you know best what you're looking for.

In regards to S1 drag and drop I love it. Do it all the time. You don't have to do it from browser. You can drag an effect from on track to the other. Tempo from a mapped file into Tempo track. But I guess you know these. Arranger track drag and drop is my favourite though.

I'm not that far down midi but what are your issues with it? And what are you looking for? Linking to info is just as good if you don't want to type. Cheers
You guys know how I can split up a midi track in S1?

As in 1 track each for snare, kick, all toms, all cymbals..

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You guys make it sound like changing DAWs is done just like that, and doesn't involve tons of time, money and sweat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
You guys know how I can split up a midi track in S1?

As in 1 track each for snare, kick, all toms, all cymbals..

Thanks.
What virtual drum do you use?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
You guys make it sound like changing DAWs is done just like that, and doesn't involve tons of time, money and sweat.
It probably is if you start from the most complicated one
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
What virtual drum do you use?
SSD5.5free

How does that matter?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
SSD5.5free

How does that matter?
Some are easier to route than others. I'm using Studio Drummer and it was a pain to do.

Try this it. You may find it helpful.

https://youtu.be/D6hRaTyclMw
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Some are easier to route than others. I'm using Studio Drummer and it was a pain to do.

Try this it. You may find it helpful.

https://youtu.be/D6hRaTyclMw
Thanks, I don't mean routing Instrument outputs.

Just breaking up MIDI tracks into their pitches.
📝 Reply