The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10
Old 12th February 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10

Hi,

I'm buying my first DAW and I was wondering which one I should buy.
I'm more drawn to S1 but I heard it lacks some features, especially for MIDI manipulation. I will mostly be using virtual instruments.

I want to use it for pop/RnB/EDM songs, film scoring, mixing and mastering.

Also I can get S1 with the FaderPort for ~470€ because FaderPort includes the artist version of S1 and I can just upgrade from there.

Cubase is 550€ + 400€ for the controller...

Thanks
Old 13th February 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Midi in S1 is fine for your purposes imo. People use Ableton for the same genres of music and that has probably one of the weakest midi/piano roll implementations out of the major DAWs imo S1's midi is actually quit a bit better (as well as automation).

Compared to Cubase however S1 is not as strong but you have to ask yourself do you really need all the features. S1 features wise is pretty good. You can edit multiple midi tracks just fine, there is pitch quantize, there are groove templates and swing. With S1v4 we now have a drum editor and pattern/step editor. There are midi effects like arp, etc. For midi I don't see much missing in S1 for EDM/Pop/hip hop etc. I'd say go for it.
Old 13th February 2019
  #3
kdm
Lives for gear
I have moved to Studio One mainly because workflow is significantly faster overall. Cubase 10 has improved somewhat, but even with the new enhancements, it still misses the big picture of workflow - consistency.

C10 has the option to dock the editor and mixer, but audio and midi editing are still separate editors (one editor serves both, and automatically switches depending on the selection in Studio One).

When moving to the editor from the project window in Cubase 10, you still have to click on the target window to gain focus and have key commands respond there. Studio One simply shifts focus depending on mouse position for most key commands. This works best with the editor/mixer on a second display, and tool key commands do follow focus in this way, where zoom does not.

Cubase 10 does have some forms of drag and drop, but Studio One is consistent here, and far more flexible. Drag an effect to a send, and S1 automatically, and quickly creates an FX track, with the send enabled. Dragging an an insert plugin (or full insert section) from one track to another automatically copies - no modifier key required. Studio One also inserts many low/no latency plugins without interrupting audio playback (Cubase always interrupts playback here).

Studio One also opens and closes about 5x faster than Cubase 10. After working in Studio One, Cubase seems more cluttered (Studio One is easier to work in for long hours, at least for me).

Cubase has a lot of great features where Studio One has a generally faster workflow. Download the demos and try both side by side.
(I had replied in the Cubase forum, but moved it here as it is more relevant to this forum).
Old 13th February 2019
  #4
Ex cubase user studio one it's just so comfortable to use now, I recently loaded some old projects in cubase anf felt so lost, yes cluttered, I haven't used the latest version though.
Old 13th February 2019
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
I have moved to Studio One mainly because workflow is significantly faster overall. Cubase 10 has improved somewhat, but even with the new enhancements, it still misses the big picture of workflow - consistency.

C10 has the option to dock the editor and mixer, but audio and midi editing are still separate editors (one editor serves both, and automatically switches depending on the selection in Studio One).

When moving to the editor from the project window in Cubase 10, you still have to click on the target window to gain focus and have key commands respond there. Studio One simply shifts focus depending on mouse position for most key commands. This works best with the editor/mixer on a second display, and tool key commands do follow focus in this way, where zoom does not.

Cubase 10 does have some forms of drag and drop, but Studio One is consistent here, and far more flexible. Drag an effect to a send, and S1 automatically, and quickly creates an FX track, with the send enabled. Dragging an an insert plugin (or full insert section) from one track to another automatically copies - no modifier key required. Studio One also inserts many low/no latency plugins without interrupting audio playback (Cubase always interrupts playback here).

Studio One also opens and closes about 5x faster than Cubase 10. After working in Studio One, Cubase seems more cluttered (Studio One is easier to work in for long hours, at least for me).

Cubase has a lot of great features where Studio One has a generally faster workflow. Download the demos and try both side by side.
(I had replied in the Cubase forum, but moved it here as it is more relevant to this forum).
The most annoying thing about Cubase for me is when you are in key editor you lose the sight of inspector of the track like fader inserts sendse etc
Is there an option for it?
Old 14th February 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

why 2 threads ?
Old 16th February 2019
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

If your looking for something more up to date with features that are more modern and current get Studio One. Cubase is good for the old heads that been using it for 20 or 30 plus years.
Old 17th February 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Depends on what you do. Cubase has expression maps for example which if you do orchestratal or film work, it’ll come in handy. Cubase has an incredible MIDI editor, though S1 is my second favorite now. Cubase has a LOT of features - but up to you if you need them. I found S1 has smarter implementation of many common features.
Old 19th February 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
Studio one has a flaw. Cant use crash mutes for Edrums. If you are not doing MIDI drums, Studio one is more slick.

Also to consider is Studio one is Presonus. Cubase is Yamaha. Look at the compatible hardware if that is a concern.


I will repeat that Studio one has that flaw every chance I get until they fix it. I wanted to go studio one, but Edrums is my focus.
Old 19th February 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Studio one has a flaw. Cant use crash mutes for Edrums. If you are not doing MIDI drums, Studio one is more slick.

Also to consider is Studio one is Presonus. Cubase is Yamaha. Look at the compatible hardware if that is a concern.


I will repeat that Studio one has that flaw every chance I get until they fix it. I wanted to go studio one, but Edrums is my focus.
Hey, if it's real important to you, let us know where to vote on it and I for one will

I'm still setting up for my own needs and I don't have any requests of my own, but every time an issue rears its head we can ask Presonus; they've done a good job at the requests - it's cofidence-inspiring. And hopefully now it's your turn to have some priority.

Off-topic and back, so does Cubase still have the screen where it can't be maximized? I used to feel claustrophobic in that un-solid feel of half minimized.
I say "goodbye forever Cubase", with great respect for a TON of good things they brought to the game over the years. Hats off to Charlie historically speaking.
Old 19th February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
I voted buy not purchasing the software. I am in process of having a new computer made for me by Sweetwater. I had to go Cubase even after they suggested Studio One.
Old 22nd February 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I voted buy not purchasing the software. I am in process of having a new computer made for me by Sweetwater. I had to go Cubase even after they suggested Studio One.
The people who built the computer you bought suggested Studio One then? Okay.
We'll have to visit your happiness over at the Cubase forum.
See ya later then.
Old 22nd February 2019
  #13
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
The most annoying thing about Cubase for me is when you are in key editor you lose the sight of inspector of the track like fader inserts sendse etc
Is there an option for it?
I don't know of any DAW that has the track inspector visible within an editor (key/midi editor, audio editor, drum editor, etc). It is easier to just open the editor on a second display, or in the lower pane of the main project window (and that is the same in Cubase and Studio One).

Why do you need to see the fader/inserts when editing midi data or an audio event?
Old 17th May 2019
  #14
Here for the gear
 
kieil's Avatar
 

Go for studio one 4...

I was trying cubase 10 for 15 days and I wanna say that it sounds realy good open and clean, but i has stability issues, crashes a lot, its not snappy like studio one, it has the worst file and preset browser and eats a lot of cpu...anyway its up to you to decide...
Old 17th May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Studio one has a flaw. Cant use crash mutes for Edrums. If you are not doing MIDI drums, Studio one is more slick.

Also to consider is Studio one is Presonus. Cubase is Yamaha. Look at the compatible hardware if that is a concern.


I will repeat that Studio one has that flaw every chance I get until they fix it. I wanted to go studio one, but Edrums is my focus.
That's because, for a so-called modern daw, studio one is still embarrassingly incapable of recording poly aftertouch in midi. So not only e-drums, but if you're a synth person who uses poly at, (and plenty of modules still do, so it's not uncommon) then you should skip studio one as well.
Old 20th May 2019
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
That's because, for a so-called modern daw, studio one is still embarrassingly incapable of recording poly aftertouch in midi. So not only e-drums, but if you're a synth person who uses poly at, (and plenty of modules still do, so it's not uncommon) then you should skip studio one as well.
Just stop it already. Grown ass man crying all the time on here. We get it already.
Old 20th May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
Just stop it already. Grown ass man crying all the time on here. We get it already.
Awwwwww did I hurt the widdle fanboi's feelings? Poor fanboi...go cry to someone who cares! Everyone here knows you're a nobody, who hasn't accomplished anything, who comes here and blindly praises Studio One because it's all you have and if no one likes your daw, then you can't cope.

Ok fanboi, I've had fun with you but onto ignore you go. I should have done that a while ago, but I never got around to it. But I have real music to work on for real people and you're not talented enough to be taking up any of my time.

Feel free to respond, I won't be reading it.
Old 20th May 2019
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
I don't know of any DAW that has the track inspector visible within an editor (key/midi editor, audio editor, drum editor, etc). It is easier to just open the editor on a second display, or in the lower pane of the main project window (and that is the same in Cubase and Studio One).

Why do you need to see the fader/inserts when editing midi data or an audio event?
I worded it wrongly perhaps.
I do not want to see the inspector in the editor. But when you select the key edit window, the cubase inspector shows items related to key editor so no chance to see the fader inserts sends and other stuff etc. Maybe I do not know if there is a way to show. In Studio One, Logic etc The inspector always shows the main features of the track plus whatever window you are on. So for example when editing some notes and I decide to lower the volume I either have to go back to arrange page or open up the mixer.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10-screen-shot-2019-05-20-22.00.47.jpg   Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10-screen-shot-2019-05-20-21.57.46.jpg  
Old 20th May 2019
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Awwwwww did I hurt the widdle fanboi's feelings? Poor fanboi...go cry to someone who cares! Everyone here knows you're a nobody, who hasn't accomplished anything, who comes here and blindly praises Studio One because it's all you have and if no one likes your daw, then you can't cope.

Ok fanboi, I've had fun with you but onto ignore you go. I should have done that a while ago, but I never got around to it. But I have real music to work on for real people and you're not talented enough to be taking up any of my time.

Feel free to respond, I won't be reading it.
You got real music, but where has that gotten you beside gearslutz lol.
Old 20th May 2019
  #20
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
I worded it wrongly perhaps.
I do not want to see the inspector in the editor. But when you select the key edit window, the cubase inspector shows items related to key editor so no chance to see the fader inserts sends and other stuff etc. Maybe I do not know if there is a way to show. In Studio One, Logic etc The inspector always shows the main features of the track plus whatever window you are on. So for example when editing some notes and I decide to lower the volume I either have to go back to arrange page or open up the mixer.
I see what you are talking about, and you are right that this is a limitation in Cubase. I don't know of a way to show the inspector beside the key editor in Cubase in a similar way.

This is another area where Studio One wins for me - better organized windows, layout and docking.
Old 30th May 2019
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
Dewdman42's Avatar
 

I recently picked up S1 and i have to say I'm impressed. It is still developing, but there are numerous things about it that impress me and I will be using it for sure. I also bought Cubase10 this year and it has an impressive list of features but runs with very very poor performance on my 5,1macPro compared to Logic, DP and S1. S1 actually had the best performance of all of them when I did methodical benchmark testing between them.

I think S1 has a bright future. I want to like Cubase more, but the performance on my mac is too inferior to trust it for large projects at this time.
Old 6th September 2019
  #22
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Studio one has a flaw. Cant use crash mutes for Edrums. If you are not doing MIDI drums, Studio one is more slick.

Also to consider is Studio one is Presonus. Cubase is Yamaha. Look at the compatible hardware if that is a concern.


I will repeat that Studio one has that flaw every chance I get until they fix it. I wanted to go studio one, but Edrums is my focus.
May I ask ... what are crash mutes? Are you referring to the cymbals? Sorry if a dumb question, but I may learn something here!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Here for the gear
Goodbye Steinberg - Well Hello Presonus

I ditched Cubase some months ago and my only regret was not doing it sooner. There hasn't been anything in Cubase I've missed and I've given it a fair chance. I had been using Cubase from version 7.5 up until 10 and I only got 10 because there were meant to be al these great new improvements.

It was no better than 9.5 and the improvements were to implement drag and drop, just like Studio one, but so so good. I'm loving Studio One and I was quick to move from v4 to 4.5 and its faster, easier to work with and without clutter.

The standard plugins are better than those in Cubase and are easier to use and actually have more controls than those that come with Cubase. I always found the need to use 3rd party plugins within Cubase. I use eDrums and have had no issues with them in Studio One, I use Superior Drummer 3 and compared with Cubase setting it up was a breeze. No hassle with the routing. All done and ready to use the moment you drop SD3 into place.

Midi has again been improved in v4.5 among other things. The great thing is that though Studio One might not have everything; it's a case of yet as more features are being added with each release. This is one man who will not be returning to Cubase. I did check out a couple of the other leading DAWS including Pro-Tools; but the asking price was enough to put me off, but Studio One fitted like a glove and ticked every box.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump