The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chopping out audio avoiding clicks pops
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Chopping out audio avoiding clicks pops

Doing a slightly different project for a friend. Have recorded a book reading.

The voice actress, often repeats a paragraph if she feels she could do it better, so it's a single take. I just have to chop pieces out and glue back together.

I've been doing this in the audio edit window with the scalpel, but when I drag the sections back together I get clicks in the audio and it won't let me use the cross fade button. Can anyone advise a better way to do this to improve my technique and get rid of the clicks?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Greetings!

I can think of many ways to approach this in S1 but this is just the first method that popped into my head: select the region you want to remove with the "range" tool, use the "delete time" function and then select the two adjacent, remaining regions and use the "crossfade" function.

Here's a GIF.. I'm not using hotkeys so that you can see everything that I click.. if you do use hotkeys it's obviously a lot quicker than using the context menu each time!

Chopping out audio avoiding clicks pops-studio-one-editing.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Chopping out audio avoiding clicks pops-studio-one-editing.gif  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How did you get the crossfade menu? I get a different menu from the right click. And if I use the Action drop down menu the crossfade is greyed out.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
A couple of things off the top of my head (sorry if they are obvious, but I can't think of anything else that would prevent you from doing a crossfade): if you're cutting and then dragging the clips together, make sure you have "Snap to events" checked so that they end up exactly adjacent to each other. Also, both events have to be selected (as shown in Red Black's gif) if you want to crossfade them.

Correction: actually the second one isn't right, it does crossfade just fine even if only one event is selected...
Old 1 week ago
As S1 unlike Cubase has no auto fades option, I would experiment by first making sure all events at at their right cue point and edited correctly. Then select all , zoom in on a start point and create a very short fade in so it does not damage transients, but is long enough to avoid the plops at the start of an event. Then zoom out again, zoom in on one of the event ends, and do a very short fade out. As you have selected all events, all of them should have these very short fade in/outs and no pops/klicks anymore.

Last edited by DAW PLUS; 1 week ago at 06:29 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Shift+X = Create Autofades on all selected clips.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Shift+X = Create Autofades on all selected clips.
Aaah, thanks! Nothing about autofades in the reference manual except on slices in audio parts.

@OP: there you go...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. In the end I gave up & dug out my old laptop which had Wavelab on and got it done in no time.
I'll try again with S1 when I get some time to fiddle though so I know how to do it for next time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search