The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warping audio in Studio One Modular Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Warping audio in Studio One

I've got Studio One 3 and I'm looking to make mashups of two songs. I need to fairly easily quantise old songs from bands like Earth Wind and Fire which had drummers with no click and some wandering tempos. This guy shows a process with Ableton that I really like, where he quantises an old pop song. It looks like a piece of cake, especially as he's doing it in 4 bar sections YouTube

I don't think the audio bend feature in Studio One does the same thing? From what I've seen on youtube, the audio bend feature doesn't look as quick and easy, seems to be a lot more manual work, whereas in Ableton it seems to automate most of the work for you. Move a downbeat to the grid and it moves the rest for you. This looks like I might need to buy Ableton except that I can't afford it! I got Studio One free bundled with Presonus hardware. I like it but I really need a simple quantising process.

Last edited by Merlin5; 4 days ago at 05:24 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Studio one warps just like ableton with the warp tool.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimeyneedle View Post
Studio one warps just like ableton with the warp tool.
You mean with the audio bend tool? I imported an old earth wind and fire song and I've had a go with the audio bend tool, analysing, quantising in 1/8s and 1/16ths but don't know how to do it properly, I made the song sound worse than before.
Seems easier in ableton.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
You mean with the audio bend tool? I imported an old earth wind and fire song and I've had a go with the audio bend tool, analysing, quantising in 1/8s and 1/16ths but don't know how to do it properly, I made the song sound worse than before.
Seems easier in ableton.
I've used both and they pretty much have the same functions. You really don't have to analyze or quantize. With the bend tool (looks like a pencil) turn on the show audio bends (the eye).

You can hold shift to go off grid when set the points.

warping.gif - Google Drive
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimeyneedle View Post
I've used both and they pretty much have the same functions. You really don't have to analyze or quantize. With the bend tool (looks like a pencil) turn on the show audio bends (the eye).

You can hold shift to go off grid when set the points.

warping.gif - Google Drive
Thanks for the reply Grimeyneedle. Yeah, I had a quick go at the bend tool last night. I've not played with it enough to be fair. It just looks to me like I'd have to move tons more transients by hand whereas (and I could be wrong), ableton looks like you move one or two transients and it moves others for you. I've just downloaded the 30 day trial of ableton live 10 and will see how I get on with it and then try a few bars of the same song in studio one again. I'm testing with 'September' Earth Wind & Fire, which starts at 117bpm and quickly moves up to 124, 125, 127 and then settles around 124. I want to see if I can get the song to be at 124bpm from start to end with little to no fluctuation.

edit: I'm having success so far in ableton, much more so than I did in studio one. I've only had to move a couple things within a loop frame and it moved the middle beats for me. The first 2 bara are perfectly in sync with my designated metronome setting of 124. I didn't find anything this easy yet in studio one.

Last edited by Merlin5; 1 day ago at 08:35 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I just did it to straight 127 quick n easy just using the main parts in the song. now the outro is a little all over the place so I had to add more markers.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I just did it to straight 127 quick n easy just using the main parts in the song. now the outro is a little all over the place so I had to add more markers.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

This channel might be helpful:
YouTube
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for that link monkiusz. I think I've got the gist of warping in studio one, I'm getting used to using the bend tool, thanks to Grimeyneedle's gif.

The problem I'm having, and I was having the same issue with Ableton, is that I'm spending ages on each single bar because although I can get most downbeats right on the beat, there's always beats here and there that are a smidgeon behind or ahead. I try moving them and it's never quite right, usually the click sounds like it's a fraction later than it should be. So I get this flamming effect of the downbeat with the metronome. Or if it is right, something else has moved. So I've been constantly deleting markers I put in and re-doing them in a slightly different position. Maybe this song is just too hard to perfectly align. There are instances in the original where the percussion is not bang on with the beat anyway. I think I can be happy enough with studio one warping which is a good thing since I own a copy, but I don't know how to overcome these issues. Some of the waveform of this song I'm finding difficult to actually see where the beginning of transients are. Like here, to the right of the highlighted marker,

Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

You have to zoom in and use your ears a lot. Aint none of it non- tedious IMO
Id take a swing at it but I dont have that track even though its my favorite EWF song
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search