The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves SSL 4000 E vs. BrainWorx SSL 4000 E
Old 12th August 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Waves SSL 4000 E vs. BrainWorx SSL 4000 E

Which one should l get? Both have great reviews. Anyone with expirence with both?

I wanna use this in S1. Waves 4000 E is $108 thats not bad. Brainwx is $299. Both authorized by Solid State.
I wonder if the new Faderport will work with those SSLs.
I would really love SSL XL 9000 K. If any seen that in software let me know.


Wow! Brainwx has that "TMT" section which seems to blow Waves out the box.



WAVES SSL 4000 E
Old 15th August 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Waves 4000 E is $108 thats not bad. Brainwx is $299. Both authorized by Solid State.
FYI you can score Wave for less. I just had Wave SSL E for about €30 at a flash sale.

Here is an interesting post with audio clips SSL Channel Shootout (bx_SSL E, Waves, Duende v6, Console 1)
Old 15th August 2018
  #3
Gear Maniac
Waves SSL was $29 2 days ago. And of course, this promo will appear again, eventually.
Old 18th August 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

You will find the full SSL9000K mixing desk, as part of Propellerheads Reason daw software or the original Propellerheads Record (Now discontinued due to full native integration with Reason 6 and since). It's the closest of the software emulation's there is..and it's complete unlike those cut down plugins.

In any case, using channel strips in Studio One like those kinda defeats the purpose of the flexibility provided by the way Studio One handles plugin's. Using mixers on top of mixers will just really confuse you more and possibly frustrate you, when it comes to the whole mixing process. In essence, you don't need them..
Old 20th August 2018 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
You will find the full SSL9000K mixing desk, as part of Propellerheads Reason daw software or the original Propellerheads Record (Now discontinued due to full native integration with Reason 6 and since). It's the closest of the software emulation's there is..and it's complete unlike those cut down plugins.

In any case, using channel strips in Studio One like those kinda defeats the purpose of the flexibility provided by the way Studio One handles plugin's. Using mixers on top of mixers will just really confuse you more and possibly frustrate you, when it comes to the whole mixing process. In essence, you don't need them..
Well, I wouldn't come confused in using them, but what would boil my blood is if it drains my CPU. Oh man that would seriously get under my skin. The Reason SSL is really nice because of its set up it looks really good and great with controllers. It's set up like a desk.
Old 21st August 2018 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Well, I wouldn't come confused in using them, but what would boil my blood is if it drains my CPU. Oh man that would seriously get under my skin. The Reason SSL is really nice because of its set up it looks really good and great with controllers. It's set up like a desk.
In Presonus Studio One 3/3.5, my track counts can range from 40 - 180. With Reason and it's SSL mixer, it would simply be a nightmare to manage that many.

In Studio One, adding these virtual SSL mixers to each of them would kill my CPU by the time I'd have got quarter of the way there... and that's a with an overclocked I7 920 Quadcore desktop system @ 3.56 Ghz. They are almost completely unnecessary plugins... that you would only use in cases that you would only really use along side a real SSL mixing desk for mixing purposes of stems, or live recording.

With music production, there are no hard and fast rules but recommendations based on one's experience...

If you're new to music production, it's far more important to learn how to mix, than what extra layers you can add on top that can complicate things.
Old 25th August 2018 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
In Presonus Studio One 3/3.5, my track counts can range from 40 - 180. With Reason and it's SSL mixer, it would simply be a nightmare to manage that many.

In Studio One, adding these virtual SSL mixers to each of them would kill my CPU by the time I'd have got quarter of the way there... and that's a with an overclocked I7 920 Quadcore desktop system @ 3.56 Ghz. They are almost completely unnecessary plugins... that you would only use in cases that you would only really use along side a real SSL mixing desk for mixing purposes of stems, or live recording.

With music production, there are no hard and fast rules but recommendations based on one's experience...

If you're new to music production, it's far more important to learn how to mix, than what extra layers you can add on top that can complicate things.
My method is totally different than yours. First off l never go over 40 tracks and l don't see the nightmare you're talking about eith using Reason.
I print what l need to the tracks i.e. Reverbs, compression etc.
I do understand your point.
Old 26th August 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
You can checkout Softube. They have both SSL 4000 and 9000. (And unfortunately they have a huge dongle with that)
Old 26th August 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

The Waves SSL E & G are $29 right now but will end in 24 hours or less. I would definitely grab it. I use both of these in every session and they are my fav's. I also have the BX console E which I havent used much but its pretty dam amazing. The most recent versions of Studio One has Console shaper built-in. The whole audio engine in S1 has been programmed to sound like a console all the way to the summing which is supposed to act like a SSL board so you might have some SSL mojo in S1 already.

Grab the waves here if you're interested --> Analog Modeled Plugins | Waves
Old 26th August 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Looks like its an add-on. Here you go! - CTC-1 Pro Console Shaper | PreSonus Shop
Old 26th August 2018 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
You can checkout Softube. They have both SSL 4000 and 9000. (And unfortunately they have a huge dongle with that)
Thanks good looking out in the SSL 9000. I have some softube stuff already.

But the SSL 9000 is set up to be controlled on Console 1. And its $299

Old 9th September 2018 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikstrange View Post
The Waves SSL E & G are $29 right now but will end in 24 hours or less. I would definitely grab it. I use both of these in every session and they are my fav's. I also have the BX console E which I havent used much but its pretty dam amazing. The most recent versions of Studio One has Console shaper built-in. The whole audio engine in S1 has been programmed to sound like a console all the way to the summing which is supposed to act like a SSL board so you might have some SSL mojo in S1 already.

Grab the waves here if you're interested --> Analog Modeled Plugins | Waves
I have the SSL E Channel 4000 from Waves can't beat $29 :-)
You saud BX SSL 4000 channel E is amazing why not use it over the Waves SSL?

I've studied the BX SSL 4000 channel E and its exactly like the desk. As a matter of fact you can take the black LF buttons and turn it Brown giving a softer LF. They have it where you can have the orange knobs in the other section. That type of desk only exist in Japan but BX has it.

This year or the beginning of next year l will cop the BX SSL 4000 channel E. They have Waves beat on this one plus SSL helped them with that project.
Old 9th September 2018 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Thanks good looking out in the SSL 9000. I have some softube stuff already.

But the SSL 9000 is set up to be controlled on Console 1. And its $299

That is theit take on API. However I think it is the same price for SSL 9000.
Old 9th September 2018 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
That is theit take on API. However I think it is the same price for SSL 9000.
BX SSL 4000 channel E l seen it for $349 at plugin Alliance.

How much is the ssl 9000?
Old 1st March 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
24hr flash sale $49

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/deal...l#post13832151

post 74
Old 1st March 2019
  #16
Deleted 3284bb9
Guest
I got the Brainworx one and after what must be a decade or thereabouts of using Waves SSL I reach for the Brainworx one. Over the course of a mix it just seems to do something nice with depth.

I'd recommend testing them, demo them both. I don't know what style you mix but if you mix live drums do this:

Mix the drums with the waves SSL channel

Then mix them with the brainworx one and see what you like best.

I did, I matched them up by ear close enough and it was a considerable difference. If you don't mix live drums do it with whatever you mix.
Old 1st March 2019
  #17
Here for the gear
 

I have a code for Bx Console SSL channel E valid for 24hrs only $49 here you go: 24H-conS-E-49-190301
Old 1st March 2019
  #18
Here for the gear
 

I have a code for Bx Console SSL channel E valid for 24hrs only $49 here you go: 24H-conS-E-49-190301
Old 23rd March 2019
  #19
Gear Addict
 

nice Time to get BX
Old 13th March 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
EBDA1176's Avatar
Not even a contest. Waves are horrid, bx console is amazing. PA/brainworx have some of the best sounding analog emu eq and compressors
Old 14th March 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I can't believe that Console 1 hasn't been mentioned, or has it?

Buy the Console 1 hardware and you'll get one of the best SL4000E emulations out there, plus they usually bundle either the Neve or API too.

Plus, you can get the 9000XL you're after for it, and on top of all that you get the dedicated hardware control as well, which has full integration in S1.

No-brainer, honestly.
Old 29th May 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
Console 1 is great but frustrating to use with Protools, so i retired it for now.

After comparing Bx 4000 to Waves CLA Mixhub, my go to 4000 emulation has been Waves CLA Mixhub. Started using the Bx 9000J yesterday next to Mixhub, and think they’re both great. The cliche, 9000 for hifi and 4000 for rock n’roll, i think applies to these; can easily see relying on both for pretty much everything, depending on source. Looking forward to whatever Waves comes up with 9000 wise.

Last edited by raal; 29th May 2020 at 06:29 PM..
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 12463 views: 959662
Avatar for rezoneight
rezoneight 30 minutes ago
replies: 331 views: 30894
Avatar for illsoulprod
illsoulprod 13th October 2020
replies: 873 views: 122083
Avatar for lydfar
lydfar 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump