The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What DAW to choose: Studio One 4 vs Logic Pro X
Old 10th August 2018
Here for the gear

What DAW to choose: Studio One 4 vs Logic Pro X

Hello,

So I finally decided to produce music.

I don't know the exact genre yet, but I got a feeling I'll end up creating acoustic / electronic as well as some trap / electro / R&B / hiphop mix type of music. Also I'll be recording a lot of vocals.

The first step is to narrow down which DAW I want.
I'm willing to test but that will mainly have to wait til September. Therefore I'm thankful for every inspiring words towards a direction.

I'd be glad to see ARA integration as I want to work easy with melodyne (it's an amazing tool).
From what I read I assume without ARA it's a little.. exhausting to use.

Integrated plugins are a nice to have as I don't have any right now and not that much start off budget (but I'll buy serum). However, I'm willing to buy more time after time.

Maintaining a good workflow after getting to know the problem is a very important factor, much more compared to how long it takes.

Any recommendations, pros/cons of logic/studio one, are welcome.

Greetings,
Zator
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Nut

To be fair, you can do what you require in both, but there are some important differences between between them, that you'll have to decide on... for example..

Logic has a properly integrated score editor...that can't be said of Studio One 4.0, and it also has native Surround Sound Support.

Studio One on the Mac has had a history of having more issue's than on the PC, and that's been consistently highlighted by the release notes...but whether that continues to be the case remains to be seen... but it has had some long awaited improvements to three of the native instruments, and includes a whole suite of effects...(old and newer)

V4.0 has really focused on the electronic demographic for the most part, although it's debatable in whether it's really met the mark of the requirements some have been asking for.

If you're looking for a daw, you can find the list of things in which to compare on their websites....It comes down to many factors...and you'll only really know what one you prefer by actually trying the demo's and doing research on user feedback and their experience..

Logic X 10.4 Update - First Look - YouTube

Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear
If you are using a Mac the simplest (and best) answer is Logic Pro X. For the money ($199) you get everything that you need. Loops, instruments, synthesizers (the amazing Alchemy), amp simulators, all the stuff.

Plenty of free tutorials available. Large community.
Old 11th August 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
If you are using a Mac the simplest (and best) answer is Logic Pro X. For the money ($199) you get everything that you need. Loops, instruments, synthesizers (the amazing Alchemy), amp simulators, all the stuff.

Plenty of free tutorials available. Large community.

IF Cost is your main criteria then Logic is your choice as S1Pro is $399.

As was said, you REALLY need to look at any specific function you HAVE to have before deciding.

You can download the S1 demo, they have the S1 Prime which is the FREE version to get a feel for it. As far as Logic goes, just open up GarageBand and you will get an idea, its missing the MIXER and a bunch of stuff but it looks and feels the same

I have BOTH here and I think BOTH are great but it really comes down to your NEEDS bro
Old 11th August 2018
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Addict

Holy Sh** Logic X 10.4 looks really nice.
They put Alchemy in it l use to have it when the company wasn't sold.

$199 Logic works great with Mac and PC.
$399 S1.4 Works great on PC not so well on Mac.

Old 13th August 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post

Logic is Mac only bro
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Studio One version 4 runs fine on my Mac. I use Logic most of the time, Studio One some of the time, and Harrison MixBus some of the time. Each has their peculiarities.

Logic is by far my favorite and most productive.

They added CamelPhat and CamelSpace "things" as well as Alchemy. Very nice additions along with the vintage EQ things in 10.4
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Logic is Mac only bro
Thanks. That would be out for me then. OP never said the platform he is working on.
Old 15th August 2018
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:

A crossgrade to S1.4 can be found for less than $399, much closer to the cost of Logic.

D
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
A crossgrade to S1.4 can be found for less than $399, much closer to the cost of Logic.

D
I was just shocked at how great Logic looked. Ableton still looks the same. smh But I will upgrade to S1V.4 soon.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just shocked at how great Logic looked. Ableton still looks the same. smh But I will upgrade to S1V.4 soon.
Agree that Logic looks the best. Agree that although it looks the best and it has an awful lot of goodies it's not worth moving to Mac for.
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post

D
For the OP, and forgive me if it’s oversimplified...the crossgrade referenced here is Presonus giving you a discount to leave your current daw and buying S1 by showing them proof of purchase. Probably not something you can take advantage of if it’s your first DAW.

You’ll have everything you need in Logic. Here’s a hack for you: follow PayPal digital gifts on eBay. Every once in awhile they offer discounted itunes gift cards. I bought $200 worth of gift cards for $180, redeemed them and used them to purchase Logic
Old 25th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Agree that Logic looks the best. Agree that although it looks the best and it has an awful lot of goodies it's not worth moving to Mac for.
Agreed. I said that because l haven't seen it in so long. But l wouldn't move to Mac just for it either. I wonder why they don't go the Windows route?
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. I said that because l haven't seen it in so long. But l wouldn't move to Mac just for it either. I wonder why they don't go the Windows route?
Cause it's made and owned by Apple.
Old 30th August 2018
Lives for gear

Logic X for sure. More refined UI and workflow.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Cause it's made and owned by Apple.
I see now.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear
As a low latency fanatic I find with a small project (4 Kontakt VIs, a few audio tracks, 7th Heaven and ProR reverbs, I can record mono or stereo audio tracks with active reverb sends + Fabfilter EQs, Comps at 96kHz with 32 Buffer (1.1ms RTL) with Orion Studio 2017 or (1.3ms) Apogee Ensemble TB with minimal CPU load and no issues. In Logic I can not record a single track project at 96kHz 32 Buffer with either of the Reverbs mentioned without clicks and pops.

I LOVE Logic but in this scenario - I find S1 the only DAW that does this. Their Dual buffer system seems to be the best out there.

Any one else ever looked at (or cared LOL) about this?
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Head

I've tried Logic but personally I will go with S1. Logic has tons of goodies (excellent instruments and fx), it's cheap, indeed but for me it's too clumsy in terms of my workflow. Spent a lot of time on youtube, watched a lot of tutorials and really wanted to like it but I hate the fact how bad some things works with samples and drums in it.

Drummer is meh for me (I prefer to play my drums myself), Machine Drum Designer looked promising but it's terrible implemented with Ultrabeat behind it. And a lot of those old samplers like Ultrabeat, exs24 and others are outdated, works and looks awful compared to things like Impact XT and other options from other DAW's. On top of that - I prefer a mixer from S1 and can work a lot faster with it.

But that's just my personal opinion, I'm sure it depends on type of music you plan to make, your workflow etc.
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiusz View Post
I've tried Logic but personally I will go with S1. Logic has tons of goodies (excellent instruments and fx), it's cheap, indeed but for me it's too clumsy in terms of my workflow. Spent a lot of time on youtube, watched a lot of tutorials and really wanted to like it but I hate the fact how bad some things works with samples and drums in it.

Drummer is meh for me (I prefer to play my drums myself), Machine Drum Designer looked promising but it's terrible implemented with Ultrabeat behind it. And a lot of those old samplers like Ultrabeat, exs24 and others are outdated, works and looks awful compared to things like Impact XT and other options from other DAW's. On top of that - I prefer a mixer from S1 and can work a lot faster with it.

But that's just my personal opinion, I'm sure itd depends on type of music you plan to make, your workflow etc.
Yeah the Drum Machine Designer is extremely hacky imo. Hope Apple just redesigns Ultrabeat with a better interface at some point. If Presonus can do it they can do it too. Impact XT is now my go to drum module, I haven't touched Maschine or Battery since S1v4 was released. I wish Logic had something similar. The only thing I like about Drum Machine Designer is that it's extremely easy to use. You get tone, pitch, delays reverbs etc built right in.
Old 11th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hey,

thanks for all the responses and sorry for the late response.
I chose (like many of you advised) Logic as my DAW thanks to my look over, your information and Melodyne's latest version.
I understand there are places where S1 is better but right now Logic does the job and so far I'm happy.
Old 11th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokentenor View Post
For the OP, and forgive me if it’s oversimplified...the crossgrade referenced here is Presonus giving you a discount to leave your current daw and buying S1 by showing them proof of purchase. Probably not something you can take advantage of if it’s your first DAW.

You’ll have everything you need in Logic. Here’s a hack for you: follow PayPal digital gifts on eBay. Every once in awhile they offer discounted itunes gift cards. I bought $200 worth of gift cards for $180, redeemed them and used them to purchase Logic
Thanks a lot! I bought it regularly but I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

Studio one keeps the cost for people who can not afford apple can’t option logic .That not a new idea I know but not everyone can fork out the big bucks apple charges. Personally if I had the money I’d go with an apple but I don’t ....at one point I did. Not anymore for now at least. Both logic and studio one are great daws...

Last edited by NoPro; 8th December 2018 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro View Post
Studio one keeps the cost for people who can not afford apple can’t option logic .That not a new idea I know but not everyone can fork out the big bucks apple charges. Personally if I had the money I’d go with an apple but I don’t ....at one point I did. Not anymore for now at least. Both logic and studio one are great daws...
hackintosh
Old 19th December 2018
I am an ex logic user. I use studio one on mac and pc and they run great on both of my machines. Yes Logic comes with a ton of software instruments and plugins but I would say the workflow in studio one is better than Logics. I used logic for 13 years and I feel that Studio One is the first time a DAW is out of my way. Less steps to get to the finish line.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamslim11 View Post
hackintosh
I wish Linux would start becoming part of these equations.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I am an ex logic user. I use studio one on mac and pc and they run great on both of my machines. Yes Logic comes with a ton of software instruments and plugins but I would say the workflow in studio one is better than Logics. I used logic for 13 years and I feel that Studio One is the first time a DAW is out of my way. Less steps to get to the finish line.
I'd had ProTools 10 which sat dormant for several years as I was doing ZERO recording. Now I'm starting to use the rig again and I have to decide whether to pay the upgrade fee to Avid, or change to a different platform.

I've bought a month of ProTools 2018. I get what people say about being aligned with an analog outboard gear workflow (to a degree).

I've played with GarageBand to decide if Logic Pro X is an option. In some ways it's easy and slick, but some things I find odd and goofy.

I just installed Studio One 4 eval last night. I've not worked with it for long yet, but right away I can tell things you *think* should be done automatically...are done automatically. Just little things like sequential number naming of multiple tracks, the behavior of buttons while multiple tracks are selected, etc. So far, I'm leaning towards Studio one 4, but I'll look into Reaper as well before the final decision is made.

I could learn to live with anything, but man, things have come a long way since I was using Samplitude 16 years ago!
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Studio One has probably made the most progress in recent years of any DAW (Logic and Cubase are second). Logic is incredible but I do prefer Studio One’s MIDI editor. The Musicloops concept in S1 is unmatched as well and super convenient for capturing ideas to use later. I still think they need to refine their UI though.
Old 22nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatone View Post
I'd had ProTools 10 which sat dormant for several years as I was doing ZERO recording. Now I'm starting to use the rig again and I have to decide whether to pay the upgrade fee to Avid, or change to a different platform.

I've bought a month of ProTools 2018. I get what people say about being aligned with an analog outboard gear workflow (to a degree).

I've played with GarageBand to decide if Logic Pro X is an option. In some ways it's easy and slick, but some things I find odd and goofy.

I just installed Studio One 4 eval last night. I've not worked with it for long yet, but right away I can tell things you *think* should be done automatically...are done automatically. Just little things like sequential number naming of multiple tracks, the behavior of buttons while multiple tracks are selected, etc. So far, I'm leaning towards Studio one 4, but I'll look into Reaper as well before the final decision is made.

I could learn to live with anything, but man, things have come a long way since I was using Samplitude 16 years ago!
Also under preferences

If you are use to stock protools keycommands you can select to use them in studio one.
Old 25th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I'd like to know how S1's stock EQ compares to Logic's stock EQ.

Do they have any noticeable differences in usability, quality, visual representation etc.?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search