The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I make S1 Markers more like PT? Click and jump to location while playing DAW Software
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Can I make S1 Markers more like PT? Click and jump to location while playing

One feature i love in PT is that if I set markers in a song - while mixing/mastering - I can start play and just click a marker to have play jump to that location. In S1 I left click a marker and it seems to serve no purpose. It doesn't jump playback to that point - it doesn't set a new cursor position - it just highlights the marker. I know there are keyboard shortcuts but those are cumbersome in the use i like to do - Please tell me there is something I am missing.
Old 14th July 2018
Deleted User

Hold down SHIFT then hit the marker number on the keypad, pretty simple verses mouse clicking IMO

Shift +N for Next, Shift +B for previous.

It is odd that we can't just click on the marker number and playback goes from there

You can also Right click on the ruler bar up top and select markers from there as well

*** If you click once on the marker then hit the letter L it will do what you are wanting***

What you are missing is S1 is NOT Protools, stop trying to make it be that. Hope this helps
Old 17th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
What you are missing is S1 is NOT Protools, stop trying to make it be that. Hope this helps
This attitude is really overused at this point to justify needless oddities in S1.

My VW GTI isn’t a Ferrari 458 but consider how much of the user interface is functionally identical:

You pull a door handle to get in and start the engine with a button. The right pedal makes them start moving, while a needle in a round gauge situated in front of you starts moving to indicate engine RPM in the standard X*1000 units. When the needle gets to the bit of the dial with red numbers and a red border you pull the right-hand paddle to tell a dual-clutch transmission to upshift. The left foot pedal makes it slow down, and the left hand paddle likewise downshifts.

The actual machinery is completely different but the interfaces aren’t. Having to press L after clicking a marker to make it do something useful is equivalent to VW making the driver press a button after pulling a paddle to shift. Why add another step?

Paddles exist to shift. Markers exist to provide a quick way to hop around timelines. Flick a paddle, change gear. Click a marker, change playback location.

What YOU are missing is that the OP doesn’t want to make S1 into PT. They want S1 to use an elegant and effective solution to a problem. It just happens to have already been solved already.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks Shanabit for the answers you provided. I did try the suggestion you highlighted and it does work. I also sympathize a bit with the next post.

I like a lot about S1 which is why I am trying to standardize my workflow around it. Pro Tools comping is NOT what I want in S1 for instance....

BUT - I asked a very specific question and you are confirming that i have not missed something... Left Click on a Marker in S1 initiates no action. The combination of left click and a keyboard stroke does - and depending on which key initiates one of many. But the most basic of all mouse actions - a left click by itself on a marker - initiates no action. That's just weird in my book and all the other ways to get to markers are look for the number or highlight then hit L then highlight hit L - just cumbersome to me.
Old 17th July 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
BUT - I asked a very specific question and you are confirming that i have not missed something... Left Click on a Marker in S1 initiates no action. The combination of left click and a keyboard stroke does - and depending on which key initiates one of many. But the most basic of all mouse actions - a left click by itself on a marker - initiates no action. That's just weird in my book and all the other ways to get to markers are look for the number or highlight then hit L then highlight hit L - just cumbersome to me.

Left click does do something here, it selects the Marker for EDITING its name and so forth. It would make more sense to do that in a Marker track list and just allow a Left click to select the marker for playback like in Protools. Alas, I dont design S1 so it is what it is. I would suggest a feature request for that
Highest voted questions in Studio One Feature Requests - Questions & Answers | PreSonus

NOTE:

1. Cubase requires a DoublClick on the Marker for playback from that Marker
2. Logic does the same thing as S1, it selects it for editing. You can of course elect them with the number pads
3. Reaper One click starts playback as does Protools. Double click opens marker for editing

Last edited by Deleted User; 17th July 2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 17th July 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasPalermo View Post
This attitude is really overused at this point to justify needless oddities in S1.

My VW GTI isn’t a Ferrari 458 but consider how much of the user interface is functionally identical:

You pull a door handle to get in and start the engine with a button. The right pedal makes them start moving, while a needle in a round gauge situated in front of you starts moving to indicate engine RPM in the standard X*1000 units. When the needle gets to the bit of the dial with red numbers and a red border you pull the right-hand paddle to tell a dual-clutch transmission to upshift. The left foot pedal makes it slow down, and the left hand paddle likewise downshifts.

The actual machinery is completely different but the interfaces aren’t. Having to press L after clicking a marker to make it do something useful is equivalent to VW making the driver press a button after pulling a paddle to shift. Why add another step?

Paddles exist to shift. Markers exist to provide a quick way to hop around timelines. Flick a paddle, change gear. Click a marker, change playback location.

What YOU are missing is that the OP doesn’t want to make S1 into PT. They want S1 to use an elegant and effective solution to a problem. It just happens to have already been solved already.
I am answering the OP's REAL question here. And you are helping him how? Exactly. Here ya go Highest voted questions in Studio One Feature Requests - Questions & Answers | PreSonus

Last edited by Deleted User; 17th July 2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 17th July 2018
Deleted User

Feature request submitted:
Vote it up!!

Playback follows Marker selection when selected with mouse in marker track - Questions & Answers | PreSonus
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search