The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Machine Mk3 as midi controller in Studio One????????
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Head

Machine Mk3 as midi controller in Studio One????????

Hey guys,

I need some help. I want to use the Machine MK3 as a standard midi controller in Studio One and I cannot find the answer on how to do this for the life of me.

When I go to add a Midi device in Studio One I select NI and there is only an option for Maschine Studio. Here you are supposed to download a template and load it into NI Controller editor, but it doesn't work because it's for Maschine Studio not MK3

On the NI forum someone as asked and they said a template may be created in the future. On the PreSonus forum the same was asked and nothing yet.

All I want to do is use the MK3's pads to trigger my VST plugins!

You'd think this would be pretty straight forward but I have searched to end and cannot find the info.

Can anyone please help?
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear
It can be done, but why would you? Using the MK3 as a simple midi pad controller is like buying a Lamborghini for trips to the grocery store. That's not even what it was designed for.

But...if you prefer to sequence inside a Studio One track and want to use the Maschine hardware, you can just load the Maschine plugin on one track then route the midi out from the plugin to a different instrument track in Studio One. The beauty of this method is instead of the Maschine hardware being just a simple midi controller, you can still use Maschine's scale/chord modes, arpeggiator, etc. and since you're not actually hosting a synth inside of Maschine, the CPU footprint is small.

The Studio One template for Maschine is not for triggering random VSTs in Studio One. There's hybrid mode, where you can sequence inside the Maschine plugin while controlling the Studio One transport and play head from the Maschine hardware. Then there's Mackie emulation using the Maschine hardware in midi mode, which is just using the hardware as a generic DAW controller (transport, mixer, shortcuts, etc).

It can be done, but why would you? Using the MK3 as simple midi pad controller is like buying a Lamborghini just for trips to the grocery store. That's not even what it was designed for.
Old 22nd June 2018
Gear Head

Yeah, this is the way to do it. Midi out to separate track. Perfect really I don't want to use Maschine's sequencer, but to still be able to use arp and chords etc, is great. Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Yeah, this is the way to do it. Midi out to separate track. Perfect really I don't want to use Maschine's sequencer, but to still be able to use arp and chords etc, is great. Thanks!
No problem. I hope it works out for you.

Try taking the time and getting comfortable sequencing in Maschine though. I've been using Maschine with Studio One for years. Working in hybrid mode and sequencing with the Maschine plugin is the best and most powerful solution in my opinion. Using just midi out you lose all the sequencing shortcuts on the hardware, having the controller screens and macro knobs auto-assigned to the plugin parameters, and using the Maschine browser to organize and manage your presests, favorites, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search