The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
F U Presonus like seriously... Audio Interfaces
Old 26th April 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 

F U Presonus like seriously...

I've recently completely re-vamped my Mac. I installed an SSD completely re-installed aveything from scratch and Presonus Studio One 3.5.6 is still a buggy mess. Like seriously Presonus how the hell do you expect people to use you software if it crashes every two minutes?

I'm kinda tired of this crap already. I close S1 and it crashes. I close a song and it crashes, I look at S1 wrong and it crashes. I try to go back to the start page and it crashes.

Even Logic X in it's heyday wasn't as bad as this. This is ridiculous now.

The only thing I want from the next version of S1 is stability. F the features.
Old 26th April 2018
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I've recently completely re-vamped my Mac. I installed an SSD completely re-installed aveything from scratch and Presonus Studio One 3.5.6 is still a buggy mess. Like seriously Presonus how the hell do you expect people to use you software if it crashes every two minutes?

I'm kinda tired of this crap already. I close S1 and it crashes. I close a song and it crashes, I look at S1 wrong and it crashes. I try to go back to the start page and it crashes.

Even Logic X in it's heyday wasn't as bad as this. This is ridiculous now.

The only thing I want from the next version of S1 is stability. F the features.
I'd suggest you switch from Mac to PC, because thus far for me anyway, Studio One 3.5.6 is rock solid... and more solid than it's ever been I think, I've probably said this recently in another thread... but hay... Studio One has tended to have more issue's on the Mac in any case...

It use to crash on the exit of the program ( not a big deal really anyway ) but not any more.
Old 26th April 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
I've been using it on a old 2008 Mac Pro with Yosemite. No issues, no crashing, but I'm not really pushing it. Still using PT for the bigger sessions.
If that's the only program crashing, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you have other stuff crashing or locking up, then I would check your ram.
L.
Old 26th April 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
JayFalcon's Avatar
Nothing but rock solid here.
If as you say you have reinstalled everything then this has by way of elimination got to be a hardware fault.Not gonna say I have never had a crash (I have been using since V1) but Studio one has been the most reliable out of all the Sequencers I have used , I'd even go further and say the reliability of S1 is one of its biggest strengths.
Old 26th April 2018
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Could be a faulty SSD, but personally, I've always stuck to using physical hard drives. They might be slower but they are likely more reliable for music production tasks.
Old 26th April 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I'm on Windows 10 and I get constant crashes ie freezes when I try and exit.
Started with the latest update, so not hardware related.

Happens about 9 times out of ten.
Old 26th April 2018
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Mike.r's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Could be a faulty SSD, but personally, I've always stuck to using physical hard drives. They might be slower but they are likely more reliable for music production tasks.
If any, they are less reliable due to being mechanical and having moving parts. Modern SSDs also don't really suffer from the myth that you can only write to them XXXX times before they break.
Old 26th April 2018
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.r View Post
If any, they are less reliable due to being mechanical and having moving parts. Modern SSDs also don't really suffer from the myth that you can only write to them XXXX times before they break.
Still running a primary 500 Gig Western Digital 7200 RPM hard drive, for almost 8 and a half years and is still going strong, but it is properly ventilated within a Coolermaster case.

In the case of SSD's, they are not immune to failure..

5 Warning Signs That Your SSD Is About to Break Down & Fail
Old 26th April 2018
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Still running a primary 500 Gig Western Digital 7200 RPM hard drive, for almost 8 and a half years and is still going strong, but it is properly ventilated within a Coolermaster case.

In the case of SSD's, they are not immune to failure..

5 Warning Signs That Your SSD Is About to Break Down & Fail
that article doesn't say anything from what I can see.
it says (other) components fail. which (other?) components.
and other than what ? mechanical hard drives must also have (other) components as well.
so that would just mean mechanicals are susceptible to these (other) things too
as well as the physical wearing of the mechanical materials. generally the bearings.

the thing is this.
when you claim 8 years, that 8 years is not an indication of another 8 years of still going strong-ness.
it's 8 years of your drive bearing wearing down.

bearings aren't like building muscles in a gym. bearings don't get stronger.
they get weaker and weaker the longer and longer they are used.
also, mechanicals are currently extremely slow in comparison.
it's unlikely that the OP's issues are drive related at all.
Old 26th April 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

My issues aren't drive related. All of my other applications are rock solid. Ableton, Logic, etc. On top of that this has been an issue with S1 since the 3.5.4+ Constant crashes, etc. The SSD is a Samsung 860 Pro and it works fine with everything else. Ram is good as well, I ran a full diagnostic on that as well and like I said I've had no issues with any other application. A lot of these crashes are known issues with the application that Persons refuses to fix and will close your thread down if you mention it on their forums.

It's extremely frustrating because the crash on close issue has been a thing since version 2 of Studio One and now it's pretty much unbearable. Presonus really needs to stabilize the application imo. I think version 3.5.3 was the most stable for me so I'll see if I can find the installer for that.

The reason I bought and started using S1 in the first place was because Logic had turned into a buggy crashy mess. Then Logic X came out and that was ten times worse. Now Logic X is rock solid and S1 is the one with all the issue.
Old 27th April 2018
  #11
js1
Lives for gear
 

Have you reported your crash issues to Presonus? My experience with them has been that they are responsive when you formally and respectfully report issues to them, which is different than my experience with other DAW companies.

I've been stable on both Mac and PC. Admittedly, I don't push the Mac nearly as hard, but I do use it a fair bit, and I've never had a crash. On PC, I have frequent crashes if I'm using the latest version of Melodyne Studio, but if I roll back one release, I'm stable. And as of yet, I haven't followed my own advice (i.e. I haven't reported the crash).

But, any report I have filed has been acknowledge and addressed.
Old 27th April 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

The most stable version I have used is 3.5 and I still crash upon close. I have just gotten used to saving often and using the autosave sessions if anything goes wrong. The plusses outweigh the minuses but I agree - the stability issue needs to be addressed for it to be truly PRO.

PS I am on Macbook 15 with TB maxed out. Everyone who says their system is stable should note their OS and specs.
Old 27th April 2018
  #13
Deleted User
Guest
Current High Sierra10.13.4, latest S1Pro 3.5.6, Steinberg MR816X current drivers, 2010 MacPro 14GB RAM, all HD's are WD Blacks 1 TB.

No crashing here
Old 27th April 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Have you tried doing the process of elimination with the plugins you've got installed? Some plugins just don't support Studio One and Studio One doesn't sandbox its VST/AU plugins or anything. So if a plugin crashes Studio One usually crashes. One example is the latest version of AIR's Structure 2- it behaves badly in most DAWs, but can crash Studio One entirely.
Old 28th April 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgray View Post
Have you tried doing the process of elimination with the plugins you've got installed? Some plugins just don't support Studio One and Studio One doesn't sandbox its VST/AU plugins or anything. So if a plugin crashes Studio One usually crashes. One example is the latest version of AIR's Structure 2- it behaves badly in most DAWs, but can crash Studio One entirely.

That's all well and good but I don't have the time to be trying to troubleshoot at the moment. Especially when the same plugins work in every other application/DAW I own.

Anyway. I downloaded and installed 3.5.3. Back to being rock solid again. I don't know what the hell Presonus has got going on but they really need to start QAing their software more robustly. Crashing at all imo is a problem regardless of config. Especially for something that is supposed to be reliable for pro recording sessions.

If I can't trust the software to what its supposed then I cannot use it. Thats the reason I had stopped using Logic so many years ago. I love S1 but not enough to put up with nonsense.
Old 28th April 2018
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Win10, Studio One itself always rock solid. The only time I had issues is when jBridge config got messed up (unrelated to S1) and it would hang any time I've opened any bridged plugin. Updating to latest jBridge instantly fixed that. So definitely check if some vst config didn't get messed up. Try loading it vanilla, no 3rd party stuff
Old 28th April 2018
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
That's all well and good but I don't have the time to be trying to troubleshoot at the moment. Especially when the same plugins work in every other application/DAW I own.

Anyway. I downloaded and installed 3.5.3. Back to being rock solid again. I don't know what the hell Presonus has got going on but they really need to start QAing their software more robustly. Crashing at all imo is a problem regardless of config. Especially for something that is supposed to be reliable for pro recording sessions.
Just trying to help in case you need to recover a session or something. In the Services tab of preferences you can also temporarily disable AU / VST support to open crashing projects.

I’m definitely with you on the time factor. It bugs me how DAW/plugin manufacturers tend to think our job descriptions should include troubleshooting their software.

And with the QA, I get a similar impression. I don’t know if they have some users testing prerelease versions or something like that but if they do I wonder if those people are testing it or using it very extensively. I’ve only been using S1 for two minor point releases but in each one new issues with old features popped up even though they solved other ones....

I love the workflow in S1 for writing and composition but there are certain types of sessions I just won’t use it for yet.
Old 30th April 2018
  #18
I've had the odd crash and hang on a W10 SSD laptop. It's annoying but not the norm.
Old 30th April 2018
  #19
Gear Head
 

Dude, it's not Presonus, it's your Mac "F U like seriously".
Old 30th April 2018
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Dude, it's not Presonus, it's your Mac "F U like seriously".
It is Presonus. Studio One has great features and ideas but it crashes all the time here as well. I'm sure 3rd party plugin compatibility is a part of it, but that's something that every DAW maker has to deal with.
Old 1st May 2018
  #21
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
as well as stating what computer specs OS version etc folks are using, it might be a good idea to add if it's the main Admin account or a standard / second user account which people are using. DAW applications & plugins and resources can get installed in different places if they are installed from a second user account. and then it's hard to predict where and which accounts folders exactly, the various components and resources might get installed into.

I think generally speaking, it's probably best to have everything working in the primary Admin account. because then it's easier to know where things will install into. and it's also more likely that things will work more reliably in that account. assuming they work reliably already that is. everything being installed in an Admin account makes the cross referencing of assumptions easier too.
the above is relating to MacOS.
Old 1st May 2018
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Total crash fest for me too... Doing basic stuff. I don't even have the energy to go into detail about because I'm so over it at this point... It's all fine and dandy for smaller projects, but once any sort of complexity is introduced it totally ****s the bed over here. It used to be pretty stable in version 2 for the most part.... but version 3 is nightmare in comparison. So yeah.. I agree 100% and I'm on Windows... Super stable system with no other crashes EVER in any other software or the OS for that matter.. Load up studio one and a complex track in the making and all of the sudden It's like I'm running an e-machines box.

I actually blame myself for drinkin' the kool-aid when version 2 was working pretty good for me. Those pesky version updates though... the ones with that one obscure feature you really want. But of course... new projects, new version... can't go back on those and I'm not recreating them from scratch...

Old 1st May 2018
  #23
Don't you guys get it? This is the usual, typical and totally normal business practice of champions. The closer you get to a major new version release, the more you take your foot off the gas, let your product fall apart and deteriorate.

Version 4 is coming...and it will promise thousands...millions of bug fixes. In version 4 the stability will be OFF THE CHARTS.

It'll make version 3 look BETA 1.0

Version 4..............GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!

Old 1st May 2018
  #24
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Yeah, Presonus is pretty shady these days and that's pretty much their business model. They do the same **** with their soundcards. Just stop supporting it like a red headed step child when the shiny new one is introduced. Lame business model. Every new update in S1 introduces the same amount of bugs they just fixed in the one you're installing, lol. I mean c'mon... Someone needs to pull their **** together over there.
Old 1st May 2018
  #25
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
That's all well and good but I don't have the time to be trying to troubleshoot at the moment. Especially when the same plugins work in every other application/DAW I own.

Anyway. I downloaded and installed 3.5.3. Back to being rock solid again. I don't know what the hell Presonus has got going on but they really need to start QAing their software more robustly. Crashing at all imo is a problem regardless of config. Especially for something that is supposed to be reliable for pro recording sessions.

If I can't trust the software to what its supposed then I cannot use it. Thats the reason I had stopped using Logic so many years ago. I love S1 but not enough to put up with nonsense.
Hi!!
So many possible culprits... I had problems and tracked it down to some AU plugins, disabling the use of AU completely (having a bunch..) and only using VST helped.
I remember I enabled AU again after an update, and it's working great on 2 different Macs.

Best,
Pelle
Old 1st May 2018
  #26
Studio One 4...Now with almost less fatal crashes than the BETA version of Windows Vista!

Coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-book your copy TODAY!

Old 1st May 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
I used it yesterday and no crashing or abnormal behavior in a 6 hour session. I remember when I first installed it I had some issues related to certain plug ins. I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but since it's been pretty much stable.
L.
Old 1st May 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I've pretty much narrowed my hangs at close down to my UAD-2 card.

UAD do not officially 'support' Studio One as a host application.

However, I introduced a lot of things at the same time, so there's a possibility it could still be the Melodyne 4 update.

The other additions to my system are all fully supported and integrated (Console 1 & Presonus Faderport), so if it was one of those, then I would be very surprised.
Old 1st May 2018
  #29
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I've pretty much narrowed my hangs at close down to my UAD-2 card.

UAD do not officially 'support' Studio One as a host application.

However, I introduced a lot of things at the same time, so there's a possibility it could still be the Melodyne 4 update.

The other additions to my system are all fully supported and integrated (Console 1 & Presonus Faderport), so if it was one of those, then I would be very surprised.
I dont think it is Melodyne, I have the current Melodyne Studio here as well without issues. I forgot to mention I do have AU plugins turned OFF in the prefs and ONLY use VST versions of anything here

More than likely it is UAD
Old 1st May 2018
  #30
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Here's my speccy summary just for reference to the thread and topic...

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K @ 3.40GHz 33 °C - Broadwell-E/EP 14nm Technology
RAM: 32.0GB Corsair LPX @ 1199MHz (14-16-16-31)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X99 (SOCKET 2011) 33 °C
Graphics: SyncMaster ([email protected]) SyncMaster ([email protected]) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA) 43 °C
Storage:
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 30 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS40 ATA Device
Audio: RME Fireface 800
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump