The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
F U Presonus like seriously... Audio Interfaces
Old 21st May 2018
  #91
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I usually try to keep my mouth shut on people's opinions, but there absolutely no basis to think current generation SSD's are not reliable enough for music production. In my corporate job role, I have a massive multi-geo continuous integration farm using nothing but SSD drives with a documented failure rate significantly lower than 10k 2.5" SAS magnetic drives. We had some issues with very early generation drives burning out, but nothing worth noting in the last 4-5 years.
This is GS... nobody’s got time for your actual experience or knowledge of the topic... we want all of our own weird beliefs bereft of any factual basis to be as loudly pronounced as those based in stupid facts or science
Old 21st May 2018
  #92
Gear Maniac
Complaining, Insulting studio one thread without crash report Reason user at its finest.
Old 21st May 2018
  #93
Here for the gear
 

Well, here's an update on my own situation and what I learned after switching to a new Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen. I had speculated that the freezes I'd experienced might be related to driver issues with my 1st Gen interface and hoped that the 2nd Gen's newer driver would solve it (and provide other benefits too).

Well, it didn't seem to fix anything, but that just meant I had to dive a little deeper and really figure out what was happening. I was getting huge DPC latency spikes - the usual culprits, i.e. NDIS.sys, etc. - and that appears to have been the culprit. I rolled back it's (NDIS) driver, based on some advice I found on some gaming site regarding my specific NIC card. So, low and behold, spikes are now gone and so is the freeze up in S1-3.

So, should I blame Presonus for it's lack of stability when my platform wasn't stable? Probably not.
Old 21st May 2018
  #94
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallworld View Post
Complaining, Insulting studio one thread without crash report Reason user at its finest.
If you have nothing to add, ignore the ****ing thread. And just an FYI I haven't actively used Reason since version 3 (2004?) and the only reason I even have it installed at all is too access projects from said version (currently on 9.5). Just in-case you want to be a further ass all my software is purchased and licensed.

If you want crash reports i can post them but since I know very few people know how to read them I didn't want to post pages full of crash reports.
Old 21st May 2018
  #95
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
I use UHE's Hive all the time in my music, it's absolutely fine in 3.5.6. Do yourself a favour and ditch the Mac you have build a cheaper PC that actually works well instead. You'll thank yourself for it.
Not going to happen. I also use Logic. My Audio interface is Thunderbolt (Clarett 8Pre) and I already have an X99 system overspecced for what I use it for (mostly games at this point. It was a vanity build) sporting a 5820k, 64GB RAM, M.2 960Pro, GTX 970 etc. However i'm not a fan of Windows 10 for making music and on top of that if you look at all the threads (including this one) you will see that just using Windows is no guarantee that you won't run into weird S1 behavior. If S1 were the only thing I used then sure why not.

I just started using my mac laptop instead for now. I will try a full reinstall of the OS this weekend. Maybe something went wrong there when I was first resetting everything up.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #96
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
I'm noticing that a lot of my issues and strange behavior starts with projects created in version 2 (and saved in version 3 later) that may have some active MIDI tracks with assignments to a controller that Studio One thinks doesn't exist. A lot of strange freezing out of nowhere when I open a session with this scenario, where I'll have to reboot the whole system cause everything is locked up. Once I set all the Instrument tracks to "None" from the previously saved/used MIDI controller and save, it somehow alleviates the freezing (if I can do it fast enough before it freezes), but some other random things occur beyond that, that I haven't nailed down yet. It's like a crazy game of whack-a-mole with S1.

The last thing I mixed on S1 was a short film and there's a good amount of complexity to it and it plays back fine. All 109 tracks and who knows how many plugins... a lot. But that was started in V3... I have a lot of Projects that started in 2 that I'm still working on and that seems to be where things go bad. Lots of ntdll.dll errors closing projects and freezing with no info in the crash log... No way to read the .DMP file without installing a bunch of developer tools to figure out what it's actually saying... So yeah, it makes it damn near impossible to pinpoint.

I can leave Ableton Live running for a week solid 24/7 while working on projects and opening and closing new ones... Big projects... same plugs I use in S1. Zero crashes... I could probably run Reaper for a month without crashing if I actually tested it... It's pretty frustrating when you don't have any other issues except this one program and you can't find any answers...
Old 22nd May 2018
  #97
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
If you have nothing to add, ignore the ****ing thread.
How should I Apoclypse? while watching the classic sales man move over Studio One dedicated support forum. What is the difference between my comment and your thread? again, you haven't opened up the thread to seek support. If it was, you would have provided the crash report. Mac is not like windows, it specifically tell you what the problem is. Thanks to the generated report. So, you could have communicated with Presonus support and send them your crash report. I'm not saying I read the report but if you are a solution seeker person you will do that. But the way I see it a classic Reason sales man move, the moment Presonus is about to announce version 4 or whatever big version they have, here you go the instability thread. Don't be offended if your intentions are not like that. Why would you since the intention is not to spoil the upcoming release. But, from my experience, they are the only users who open up such a thread to hide their extreme short coming over their own DAW. And I just responded by observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
If you want crash reports i can post them but since I know very few people know how to read them I didn't want to post pages full of crash reports.
Like I said, are you a solution seeker or a problem aggravator and talk about problem than a solution, if you were, you would have provided the problem indicator in your first post. Again, even if I don't read it, people who are capable of it would have pointed out what the problem is. From the way I see it there is no difference between you and me on this thread. In fact, you are not here for solution just to cry and complain about Studio One in general to paint a bad picture over the company. By any means if I offended you, I really apologise.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #98
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallworld View Post
How should I Apoclypse? while watching the classic sales man move over Studio One dedicated support forum. What is the difference between my comment and your thread? again, you haven't opened up the thread to seek support. If it was, you would have provided the crash report. Mac is not like windows, it specifically tell you what the problem is. Thanks to the generated report. So, you could have communicated with Presonus support and send them your crash report. I'm not saying I read the report but if you are a solution seeker person you will do that. But the way I see it a classic Reason sales man move, the moment Presonus is about to announce version 4 or whatever big version they have, here you go the instability thread. Don't be offended if your intentions are not like that. Why would you since the intention is not to spoil the upcoming release. But, from my experience, they are the only users who open up such a thread to hide their extreme short coming over their own DAW. And I just responded by observation.
Like I said, are you a solution seeker or a problem aggravator and talk about problem than a solution, if you were, you would have provided the problem indicator in your first post. Again, even if I don't read it, people who are capable of it would have pointed out what the problem is. From the way I see it there is no difference between you and me on this thread. In fact, you are not here for solution just to cry and complain about Studio One in general to paint a bad picture over the company. By any means if I offended you, I really apologise.

Well for one I didn't post the full crash report but I did post the main portion of it in this thread. So yeah I was seeking a solution and some people provided some great ideas of things to try which I did. Again had you read the thread you would have seen that.

I'e been a S1 user since version 2. If you look at my post history I've been very positive about the DAW and have recommended it to many. Regardless of the issues I've been having I just plunked down for S1 v4 because I have more money than sense sometimes and I want to see if the new version fixes the issues.

I have no agenda nor do I want to stop people from buying S1. They can do whatever they want but its been acknowledged not only here but in quite a few places if you just google these issues that S1 is pretty damn buggy and has only gotten worse since around 3.5.

The FU was because I had been dealing with the issue for days and the frustration got the better of me. Again had you gone through the whole thread you would have seen this.

So in conclusion you have no ****ing clue what you are talking about and you can keep the snark to yourself.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #99
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
I'm noticing that a lot of my issues and strange behavior starts with projects created in version 2 (and saved in version 3 later) that may have some active MIDI tracks with assignments to a controller that Studio One thinks doesn't exist. A lot of strange freezing out of nowhere when I open a session with this scenario, where I'll have to reboot the whole system cause everything is locked up. Once I set all the Instrument tracks to "None" from the previously saved/used MIDI controller and save, it somehow alleviates the freezing (if I can do it fast enough before it freezes), but some other random things occur beyond that, that I haven't nailed down yet. It's like a crazy game of whack-a-mole with S1.

The last thing I mixed on S1 was a short film and there's a good amount of complexity to it and it plays back fine. All 109 tracks and who knows how many plugins... a lot. But that was started in V3... I have a lot of Projects that started in 2 that I'm still working on and that seems to be where things go bad. Lots of ntdll.dll errors closing projects and freezing with no info in the crash log... No way to read the .DMP file without installing a bunch of developer tools to figure out what it's actually saying... So yeah, it makes it damn near impossible to pinpoint.

I can leave Ableton Live running for a week solid 24/7 while working on projects and opening and closing new ones... Big projects... same plugs I use in S1. Zero crashes... I could probably run Reaper for a month without crashing if I actually tested it... It's pretty frustrating when you don't have any other issues except this one program and you can't find any answers...
Hmm. I never thought of that. I do have a lot of project like that.

Yeah. I've found that S1 is a little more "dainty" as it were than Logic or Ableton.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #100
Lives for gear
 

So I launched S1 v4 and the crashing stopped for most projects but it seems like S1 won't load Maschine version 2 at all. Since I had suspected that was the cause of a lot of the crashes that probably explains a lot. So I guess I'll hit up NI to see what the hell is going on over there.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #101
Gear Head
 

3 weeks from "FU Presonus like seriously I hate you so much" to "Welp, bought the new Studio One version, seems pretty decent"

Not making fun, we've all been there.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #102
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoehler View Post
3 weeks from "FU Presonus like seriously I hate you so much" to "Welp, bought the new Studio One version, seems pretty decent"

Not making fun, we've all been there.
Yeah. Like I said I was extremely frustrated when I posted that.

That being said I jumped the gun bit. Issues are still there but that this point I don't know if its the machine or S1. S1 is the only app that is having issues. I've tried replacing the ram but at the same time the machine is about 5-6 years old and the MBP I use seems to be pretty solid though I haven't installed all of my NI plugins on that yet.

I'm still peeved at Presonus for putting out such buggy software but what can I say I'ma greaslut and I like buy software/gear for no reason sometimes. Lol.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #103
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Yeah. Like I said I was extremely frustrated when I posted that.

That being said I jumped the gun bit. Issues are still there but that this point I don't know if its the machine or S1. S1 is the only app that is having issues. I've tried replacing the ram but at the same time the machine is about 5-6 years old and the MBP I use seems to be pretty solid though I haven't installed all of my NI plugins on that yet.

I'm still peeved at Presonus for putting out such buggy software but what can I say I'ma greaslut and I like buy software/gear for no reason sometimes. Lol.
I hear you. I tend to be more "let's wait and see" with new versions, which is why I'm still on Studio One v2. My current audio-only MBP is in the 8 year old range though so I'm leery of trying to force it to handle the latest and greatest.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #104
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
So I launched S1 v4 and the crashing stopped for most projects but it seems like S1 won't load Maschine version 2 at all. Since I had suspected that was the cause of a lot of the crashes that probably explains a lot. So I guess I'll hit up NI to see what the hell is going on over there.
Are you trying the demo first or did you buy it?
Old 24th May 2018
  #105
Old 24th May 2018
  #106
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
lol....


That is the one of the worst things about Studio One by far.... It was the second worse when they claimed there was no plugin limit and there was actually a plugin limit. Now that they have somewhat sorted that out... It's back to the the first. This BS of loading everything on one core is pretty stupid in this day in age. I'm sure that will become some article in the future from them about how it's someone else's fault but they're working on it. And they want more money for the same software it was 2 days ago... Nothing has really changed at the core. Same ol ****, different flies.
Old 24th May 2018
  #107
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
That is the one of the worst things about Studio One by far.... It was the second worse when they claimed there was no plugin limit and there was actually a plugin limit. Now that they have somewhat sorted that out... It's back to the the first. This BS of loading everything on one core is pretty stupid in this day in age. I'm sure that will become some article in the future from them about how it's someone else's fault but they're working on it. And they want more money for the same software it was 2 days ago... Nothing has really changed at the core. Same ol ****, different flies.
I assume the engineering reason for this is delay compensation? CPU affinity used to be a real problem with Logic.
Old 24th May 2018
  #108
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I assume the engineering reason for this is delay compensation? CPU affinity used to be a real problem with Logic.
Still kind of is. Logic pegs one of my cores hard all the time while the rest are just sitting there with all this headroom. It works way better than it did back in the Logic 9 days tho.

I have less issues with that in S1 actually.
Old 24th May 2018
  #109
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I assume the engineering reason for this is delay compensation? CPU affinity used to be a real problem with Logic.
Apparently it has to do with the VST plugins coding. More specific, it doesn't have multi-core support so it does all its work on one core, the fastest core, so everything ends up on that one core if you're using a lot of plugs coded this way. Now whether that is true or not in this case, I do not know entirely... Because it seems Studio One will max out CPU pretty quickly just loading plugs on the master. You get 5 or 6 on there and it goes downhill pretty fast.

I know guys are running full maxxed out cores, because I've seen it before... Like here..

10% CPU usage 70% ASIO usage in cubase 5 windows 7 64bit

Also this post is interesting - 10% CPU usage 70% ASIO usage in cubase 5 windows 7 64bit
Old 27th May 2018
  #110
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
I'd suggest you switch from Mac to PC, because thus far for me anyway, Studio One 3.5.6 is rock solid... and more solid than it's ever been I think, I've probably said this recently in another thread... but hay... Studio One has tended to have more issue's on the Mac in any case...

It use to crash on the exit of the program ( not a big deal really anyway ) but not any more.
I have PC also and lm having no issues. Now l have v4 its like the best. I will never buy into Apple Mac.
Old 28th May 2018
  #111
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Still kind of is. Logic pegs one of my cores hard all the time while the rest are just sitting there with all this headroom. It works way better than it did back in the Logic 9 days tho.

I have less issues with that in S1 actually.
You made a thread saying F presonus then you went and bought version 4 without demoing it. Go figure.
Old 28th May 2018
  #112
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
You made a thread saying F presonus then you went and bought version 4 without demoing it. Go figure.
Nice contribution to the thread... What's your point, dude? Either you're just here to troll, or you're a dick... Probably both...

What are you actually trying to accomplish here because it doesn't look like anything but stirring up bull**** with people...
Old 29th May 2018
  #113
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Nice contribution to the thread... What's your point, dude? Either you're just here to troll, or you're a dick... Probably both...

What are you actually trying to accomplish here because it doesn't look like anything but stirring up bull**** with people...
Pointed out something significant in light of
This thread. Quite funny if you ask me.
Old 30th May 2018
  #114
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
You made a thread saying F presonus then you went and bought version 4 without demoing it. Go figure.
Aww **** it never mind.
Old 5th June 2018
  #115
Gear Maniac
 

all l can do is laugh
Old 13th June 2018
  #116
Late to the party, but nevertheless I would like to comment on a few things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I've got pretty much all the Black Viper fixes done.
I wonder where people get the idea that Black Viper tweaks are audio tweaks? The dude is not an audio guy. He is a gamer and an IT nerd. I have benched his tweaks against a clean fresh Windows 10 install (only power plan set to high performance). Zero difference. Nada. Just potential issues with certain audio software (error messages) when BV tweaks are used, as disabling a dozen services brings the risk that this service might be required.
Rather follow advice from Avid, Steinberg, Focusrite, NI etc., although some of their suggestions IMO are also counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I think I found the solution...in my case anyway...disconnect the internet.
You call that a solution? I call it a workaround. Your configuration doesn't behave well with NIC drivers it seems. Are you using a laptop with everything preinstalled when you bought it?
BTW: the screensshots with the CPU cores: you have at least 2 really heavy plugins on the master. That is where that loaded first core comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I'm kinda tired of this crap already. I close S1 and it crashes. I close a song and it crashes, I look at S1 wrong and it crashes. I try to go back to the start page and it crashes.
I am not on a Mac (obviously), but you may guess that Presonus wouldn't just release a version that crashes that easy without there being more to it. Could it be the new file system?
I use S1 since 2.0 now and only had crashes with certain plugins - tyically beta versions or ported 32 bit ones, and certain interface drivers. Nothing that most other DAWs handle much better. And I have them all here in the test studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Could be a faulty SSD, but personally, I've always stuck to using physical hard drives. They might be slower but they are likely more reliable for music production tasks.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.r View Post
Modern SSDs also don't really suffer from the myth that you can only write to them XXXX times before they break.
Yes they do. They just have more drive writes per day than they used to have. Even the heaviest enterprise SSDs will wear out at some point, but they rather shifted to the point that they will survive 5 generations of systems. I wouldn't want to use any of the current consumer SSDs for longer than 5 years as an OS or project drive if I use my system 10h/day. Rough figure of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Total crash fest for me too... but version 3 is nightmare in comparison. So yeah.. I agree 100% and I'm on Windows... Super stable system with no other crashes EVER in any other software or the OS for that matter.. Load up studio one and a complex track in the making and all of the sudden It's like I'm running an e-machines box.
Not to be confused with a XI-MACHINES box!
Pretty weird, I'm on 3.x since its release now, having tons of instruments and plugins (many of them beta), and I never get a crash while working with S1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
UAD do not officially 'support' Studio One as a host application.
I haven't tested that combo in a long time as I use a Ryzen system which is incompatible with the 2 Solo cards I have. But note that Universal Audio simply doesn't list any support for soft- or hardware they don't put any time in. That does not mean it doesn't work. It doesn't exclude that the combo works perfect either, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Because it seems Studio One will max out CPU pretty quickly just loading plugs on the master. You get 5 or 6 on there and it goes downhill pretty fast.
That is normal in every host. People tend to put many heavy algorithm plugins on the master, but these obviously all are calculated by a single core, typically the first one, which also typically handles the framework & mix engine of the software. It partly is up to Windows to handle this.
Now, S1 has had more issues with the first core than most other DAWs, but this improved a lot in 3.5 I think it was. Even my busiest sessions are fine with a 128 samples buffer in my interface, on a Ryzen which has relatively poor performance with smaller buffers. But I don't stack 6 plugins on the master, as I don't see the point in that anyway.
Old 13th June 2018
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Thank goodness you came along!
Now that you've told us all that we're making it up, we can forget about it all!

You donut.

You build and sell workstations, yet you don't seem to have grasped the basic fact that just because your config doesn't produce issues, doesn't mean that nobody else's will.

Let's quickly clear some things up - you're commenting on BV tweaks - nobody said they were audio tweaks, they're system tweaks.
I don't have an audio problem, I have an S1 stability problem.
You haven't used a UAD-2 setup in years - why on earth are you commenting on it?
You don't use a mac system - why on earth are you commenting on it?

Oh, so you don't mix into a processing chain on your aux master/master?
Wow, ok we should all stop doing that then, thanks for helping us see the error of our ways.

I'm not sure if this was an elaborate ploy to mention your own systems, but God I can imagine what your support is like:

"Oh you're having issues? My computer here is fine so you must be imagining it"

Old 13th June 2018
  #118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Thank goodness you came along!
Now that you've told us all that we're making it up, we can forget about it all!

You donut.

You build and sell workstations, yet you don't seem to have grasped the basic fact that just because your config doesn't produce issues, doesn't mean that nobody else's will.

Let's quickly clear some things up - you're commenting on BV tweaks - nobody said they were audio tweaks, they're system tweaks.
I don't have an audio problem, I have an S1 stability problem.
You haven't used a UAD-2 setup in years - why on earth are you commenting on it?
You don't use a mac system - why on earth are you commenting on it?

Oh, so you don't mix into a processing chain on your aux master/master?
Wow, ok we should all stop doing that then, thanks for helping us see the error of our ways.

I'm not sure if this was an elaborate ploy to mention your own systems, but God I can imagine what your support is like:

"Oh you're having issues? My computer here is fine so you must be imagining it"

Normally I would differentiate a bit on everything you wrote here, but it is such a tragic response I will refrain from it. Take it however you seem fit. I suggest you use the ignore list for me. I hope the others see this as personal feedback as an S1 user trying to shed some light on some points.
Old 13th June 2018
  #119
Lives for gear
Little known fact, there are global VST settings available from any plugin's GUI accessible in most DAWs I've used. In those global settings is the option to use multi-core support, and it's not a default option. Also there are many other options that can greatly speed up native performance and even audio quality, such as serial processing, which seems to somehow increase fidelity and rendering stability (in terms of dropouts) when using chained plugins. Go figure.
Old 14th June 2018
  #120
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Normally I would differentiate a bit on everything you wrote here, but it is such a tragic response I will refrain from it. Take it however you seem fit. I suggest you use the ignore list for me. I hope the others see this as personal feedback as an S1 user trying to shed some light on some points.
I don't put anybody on the ignore list. I have no desire to live in a bubble

If you could read your own posts objectively you'd see that the whole thing was just trying to negate every point that a number of different individuals had made.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have better things to do than to sit here inventing problems in order to write about them.

I'm not here to pick arguments either, but you're the second person to do this in the thread (question the validity of others' problems because you're not experiencing them).

It's not very productive!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump