The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
F U Presonus like seriously... Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd May 2018
I get CPU spikes. Studio One version 3.5.6.46910. W10 x64 Home. i7 6700HQ cpu @ 2.60GHz. 16gig ram. SSD.

I get spikes regardless of the insertion of plugins. An empty session spikes the CPU.

I'm using an RME Fireface UC.

My computer is setup for audio. All extraneous services and applications have been stopped. I do leave a wifi connection running with Windows Defender live in the background.

Restarting Studio One has tended to make the spiking go away...but I wouldn't put my life on that being the case 100% of the time.

I posted this on the Presonus Forum...apparently RME may be a bit circumspect in the Studio One environment. I dunno.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I get CPU spikes. Studio One version 3.5.6.46910. W10 x64 Home. i7 6700HQ cpu @ 2.60GHz. 16gig ram. SSD.

I posted this on the Presonus Forum...apparently RME may be a bit circumspect in the Studio One environment. I dunno.
I've suspected that whatever they're doing behind the scenes with this manufactured "low latency" thingy... may not play well with some? RME soundcards. No real data to back that up, just speculation based on things gone wrong in the past. So maybe you're on to something?

Most of it looks like what apoc has described... The software not being able to unload the memory/resources properly or something in that general department. My experience parallels his quite well and to be honest, I've had to hold myself back from posting this very same thread many times. So I totally understand his frustration and I'm compassionate towards that. Were all people here. There are other anomalies and downright broken stuff in S1. I'm no software engineer, and I'm sure most of us in this thread aren't either... Were musicians and audio engineers and creatives with ideas and jobs and projects in the works. We have our jobs, and the software guys have theirs... I don't understand why the software business thinks it doesn't have to follow the same rules as any other product out there. It's kinda ridiculous at this point.

Old 3rd May 2018
Yeah could be...but it's not my idea...I just heard it stated at the Presonus Forums that RME might be struggling in the Studio One environment...along with whatever other cards.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Do you use Reaktor 6 in Studio One by any chance, because that tends to crash upon exit for me.

I use Reaktor in Studio One, but it's not something I would sacrifice because there's crash upon exiting Studio One 3.5...

So there could be connection there.
I have Reaktor 6, but haven't used it in any projects.

One other weird bug. I opened a project that had Absynth 5 mono and Studio One and the track disappeared from the Song. Like I can see the track in the arrange view but no track at all in the Mix Console and nothing I do brings it back. The only real workaround is to load Absynth 5 Stereo and reload the patch. Weird stuff like that makes me want to tear my hair out because I would never have guessed why it was happening if I hadn't done a solid half hour of googling the issue. it shouldn't be happening at all imo.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Meh. Ok, where do I find the crash dump logs..

Can't find anything relevant/readable in App Data>Roaming>Presonus>Studio One 3
U haven't seen any generated by Studio One itself so I've been looking in the Console. You should see information about any application that has crashed recently. You can see what macOS thinks what happened. Once generated by Studio One itself would be nice tho. Is there a S1 debug mode?
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

So. Right off the bat in the crash logs See that Studio One is running out of memory or is having issues allocation memory correctly.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000013e763578
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

and since the thread that is crashing is the main program thread that indicates that there is an issue with S1 and the way it's allocating ram on my system for some reason.

It's not my memory since like I said I ran full diagnostics on the ram sticks. Reseated them, etc. And no other application on my system is exhibiting this behavior.

Is anyone else using S1 with High Sierra? This issue looks a lot like a bug that happened a long time ago when Mavericks first came out.

BTW. I tried without my Audio interface connected. No luck. S1 goes to the Start Page and the minute that I move the mouse crash.
Old 3rd May 2018
"Studio One is having issues allocating memory correctly"

...geez...that doesn't sound good at all does it?
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I don't have any NI stuff in any projects, I have the free Kontakt 5 player but don't use it.

I just found something weird.

Windows isn't registering the freeze crashes at all.

I have to shut S1 down with End Process in Task manager, but nothing ever appears in the logs in the Event Viewer, so wtf??
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
and since the thread that is crashing is the main program thread that indicates that there is an issue with S1 and the way it's allocating ram on my system for some reason.

It's not my memory since like I said I ran full diagnostics on the ram sticks. Reseated them, etc. And no other application on my system is exhibiting this behavior.

Is anyone else using S1 with High Sierra? This issue looks a lot like a bug that happened a long time ago when Mavericks first came out.

BTW. I tried without my Audio interface connected. No luck. S1 goes to the Start Page and the minute that I move the mouse crash.
1. Keep in mind you can run a RAM diagnostic and it shows fine but still have a bad chip

2. I think we can rule out your interface and its driver
3. Have you tried trashing the S1 prefs?

4. I would look up segmentation fault 11 in high sierra as well
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Nut

I use to use a 27" screen Mac for video production at work, they use to make good radiators, but generally I spent a lot of the time dealing with the spinning wheel of death whilst using Final Cut Pro 7.

It could be that your ram needs re-seated, particularly if it's been moved about. Heat is another thing...ram likes to be cool as with other parts of the computer circuitry.

Stick a fan behind it and see if that helps.
Old 3rd May 2018
I just added exceptions in Windows Security Centre, allowing anything Studio One through the whole AV/ firewall business and the spiking seems to have settled a bit. Early days...I'll monitor things for a bit

EDIT: That did nothing...it's not spiking now...it's VICIOUSLY STABBING

The CPU goes STAB........STAB........STAB.............STAB STAB............STAB

I think I'll call it Mr Stabby.

Is ProTools solid? I might have to start considering it.

Or how do I roll back Studio One? I never had these issues before 3.5. whatever it is.

DOUBLE EDIT: I just disconnected my DAW from the internet completely...and had a very nice run of it for 10 or so minutes with no s***** wikeys at all.

TRIPLE EDIT: 90 minutes heavy mixing session...no spikes...no STABS...no internet connection.

I think I found the solution...in my case anyway...disconnect the internet.

I think there's a much broader, more nourishing moral in that for all of us.

Last edited by hello people; 3rd May 2018 at 06:31 AM..
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Studio One is having issues allocating memory correctly"

...geez...that doesn't sound good at all does it?
No it doesn't. I'm going to by another set of RAM sticks to see what happens when I replace the ones in the system. It could be after 5 years of chugging along that they just gave up the ghost. Though again nothing else on my system seems to have the issue. S1 could be more particular about how it uses ram though. Who knows.
Old 10th May 2018
Here for the gear

I'm on an iMac and I've never had Studio One 3 crash on me. I'm using a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 as my interface.

I moved on from a PC and Cakewalk after 20+ years and I'll never go back since the iMac and Studio One 3 complement my workflow perfectly.

I should mention I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4.

DLG
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgebert View Post
I'm on an iMac and I've never had Studio One 3 crash on me. I'm using a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 as my interface.

I moved on from a PC and Cakewalk after 20+ years and I'll never go back since the iMac and Studio One 3 complement my workflow perfectly.

I should mention I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4.

DLG
Well you are one of the lucky ones. There are countless reports from users of S1 crashing when closing a Song or quitting eh application. Has been an issue for years.
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I got banned from there for saying what I just said here

It's run by fanbois like the_mixer, not Presonus, although that's no excuse really, because they must know what kind of reputation that forum has, and they allow it to continue.
It's that kind of attitude from Presonus that is the underlying problem.
Absolutely. Their forum is a total joke. You get banned for pointing out obvious problems.

I made a post on there once complaining about it's CPU handling compared to other DAW's and got banned. Pretty bizarre.

Anyway, i've been using it solidly for a few months and never had a crash but still experiencing very poor CPU efficiency compared to any other daw i use.
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnogs View Post
Absolutely. Their forum is a total joke. You get banned for pointing out obvious problems.

I made a post on there once complaining about it's CPU handling compared to other DAW's and got banned. Pretty bizarre.

Anyway, i've been using it solidly for a few months and never had a crash but still experiencing very poor CPU efficiency compared to any other daw i use.
Studio One 3.5 has pretty good CPU efficiency, you need to understand how it works most effectively though. I can produce 180 track projects on 10 year old hardware (I7 920), if that's what I'm trying to do in a song.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

2017 MBP SO3 with Orion Studio. Mixing a live album presently - rock solid.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Total crash fest for me too... Doing basic stuff. I don't even have the energy to go into detail about because I'm so over it at this point... It's all fine and dandy for smaller projects, but once any sort of complexity is introduced it totally ****s the bed over here. It used to be pretty stable in version 2 for the most part.... but version 3 is nightmare in comparison. So yeah.. I agree 100% and I'm on Windows... Super stable system with no other crashes EVER in any other software or the OS for that matter.. Load up studio one and a complex track in the making and all of the sudden It's like I'm running an e-machines box.

I actually blame myself for drinkin' the kool-aid when version 2 was working pretty good for me. Those pesky version updates though... the ones with that one obscure feature you really want. But of course... new projects, new version... can't go back on those and I'm not recreating them from scratch...

Win10 64 bit here... I’ve had this running on several win7, win8 and win10 systems and have never had the sort of problems some seem to with s1.

It certainly doesn’t crash any more or less than cool edit pro 96 or pt or Nuendo or Daw in my experience using computers to make music
Old 15th May 2018
I don't have so many crashes...once or twice in the last year...but my W10, SSD HD, 64bit, 16gig ram, i7 6700HQ @ 2.6Ghz CPU, Rme Fireface UC computer sucks at round trip latency. The figures are atrocious. I have to mix at 2096 and can only record as low as 1024.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never had anything get in the way of producing music in Studio One 2 or 3 that I couldn't workout and solve by myself as is evident from my other recent thread, which I can't really blame on Studio One in any case.

I've worked with 180 track projects with a crap ton of effects and instruments, and really it's been rock stable. If Presonus have introduced any critical issue's in updates, I've simply skipped that update and carried on producing for a few more weeks till they sort it, then update.

Avoid using ilok based plugin's with studio one, and properly check that the plugins you add actually work properly. If they don't and they are black listed, get rid of them...

Clean that ship... and the daw will run better and without major issues.
If Avoiding ilok plugins is what one has to do in a using a particular daw, it’s the daw that needs to be avoided.

I almost abandoned s1 when several ilok plugins stopped working due to an s1 update... it took them forever to fix that... but, presonus’ CS and theirnforuks were either useless (support), lied (“you’re the only one who has reportEd this issue and we can’t recreate it”), have inconceivable asnswers (“it’s not our fault... contact the plugin devs”) or were just outright hostile by shaming and banning users from the forums if they brought the issue up

That was a total mess and got me This close to buying a pt rig. Had the ilok deal impacted my core go-to plugins I would’ve
Old 15th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
One other weird bug. I opened a project that had Absynth 5 mono and Studio One and the track disappeared from the Song. Like I can see the track in the arrange view but no track at all in the Mix Console and nothing I do brings it back. The only real workaround is to load Absynth 5 Stereo and reload the patch. Weird stuff like that makes me want to tear my hair out because I would never have guessed why it was happening if I hadn't done a solid half hour of googling the issue. it shouldn't be happening at all imo.
I reported this to Native Instruments and Presonus recently. So far Native Instruments hasn’t responded and Presonus said that the S1 team has been aware of this for a while but don’t know if they’re planning to fix it.

Oh well, Absynth stereo works!
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Studio One 3.5 has pretty good CPU efficiency, you need to understand how it works most effectively though. I can produce 180 track projects on 10 year old hardware (I7 920), if that's what I'm trying to do in a song.
I'm not complaining about it too much, which is why i still use it. It's generally fine for my needs but that still doesn't change the fact it's CPU efficiency is way way behind a lot of other DAW's. Anybody will agree with that.

There's some plugins that barely make a dent in Reaper, Logic etc..but seem like a real hog in S1.

As i say, i can work effectively with it but many people also share the same thoughts about it. There has to be a reason why and they should be looking into it.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I get spikes regardless of the insertion of plugins. An empty session spikes the CPU.

I'm using an RME Fireface UC.

My computer is setup for audio. All extraneous services and applications have been stopped. I do leave a wifi connection running with Windows Defender live in the background.

Restarting Studio One has tended to make the spiking go away...but I wouldn't put my life on that being the case 100% of the time.

Rme hdsp pcie here with win10 64 bit..

I found a huge jump in performance by deactivating defender... I usually even remember to turn back on when I’m not using s1.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgray View Post
I reported this to Native Instruments and Presonus recently. So far Native Instruments hasn’t responded and Presonus said that the S1 team has been aware of this for a while but don’t know if they’re planning to fix it.

Oh well, Absynth stereo works!
Thanks. I saw some stuff about that on Google. Absynth Stereo does work but in my case when I try to remove the Mono plugin it crashes S1. So now I basically got a hanging Absynth process just chilling in my Console doing nothing.

Anywho after some testing I found the culprit to be NI VST plugins. Maschine crashes like clockwork when I have the VST version loaded in S1. If I use the AU version no issues. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it at least five times not dice.

I'm going to do some testing with some RAM I just bought to see what happens. If it still crashes then I have no clue as to what's going on as I would have tried everything I know at this point.
Old 16th May 2018
Here for the gear

I thought I had this problem licked, but it has flared up again with several abrupt freezes over the past couple of days. Usually, for me, it's just lost audio. The cursor continues to move but I can't hear anything or stop the session. I can save and close the file and sometimes that will fix everything for another 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I have to reboot everything.

Hard to pinpoint the problem, but the latest W10 update seems partly to fault. It created issues with my Gen1 Scarlett interface, which in turn, seems to have parallel issues in S1. I have a new Gen2 coming later this week so we'll see how that does.
Old 17th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Rme hdsp pcie here with win10 64 bit..

I found a huge jump in performance by deactivating defender... I usually even remember to turn back on when I’m not using s1.
If you're talking Windows Defender, yeah I'm with you. I'm in the habit of disconnecting the internet completely now when in S1, which I guess effectively puts a stop to Defender trying to be a wet blanket.

It might have been in another thread when I talked about the internet sucking Studio One's will to live...and yeah recently I've been very skeptical about not just the internet but specifically Defender.

Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

There is something seriously wrong with S1. Now HIVE seems to be acting weird.

I've replace the RAM on the machine but S1 is still having issues on my machine. I have no idea at this point what's going on and I'm done troubleshooting for now.

I really like S1 but this is just ridiculous at this point. Back to Logic I guess.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
There is something seriously wrong with S1. Now HIVE seems to be acting weird.

I've replace the RAM on the machine but S1 is still having issues on my machine. I have no idea at this point what's going on and I'm done troubleshooting for now.

I really like S1 but this is just ridiculous at this point. Back to Logic I guess.
I use UHE's Hive all the time in my music, it's absolutely fine in 3.5.6. Do yourself a favour and ditch the Mac you have build a cheaper PC that actually works well instead. You'll thank yourself for it.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Cubase and Logic are just as bad
Old 20th May 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Could be a faulty SSD, but personally, I've always stuck to using physical hard drives. They might be slower but they are likely more reliable for music production tasks.
I usually try to keep my mouth shut on people's opinions, but there absolutely no basis to think current generation SSD's are not reliable enough for music production. In my corporate job role, I have a massive multi-geo continuous integration farm using nothing but SSD drives with a documented failure rate significantly lower than 10k 2.5" SAS magnetic drives. We had some issues with very early generation drives burning out, but nothing worth noting in the last 4-5 years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search