The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
F U Presonus like seriously... Audio Interfaces
Old 1st May 2018
  #31
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I've recently completely re-vamped my Mac. I installed an SSD completely re-installed aveything from scratch and Presonus Studio One 3.5.6 is still a buggy mess. Like seriously Presonus how the hell do you expect people to use you software if it crashes every two minutes?

I'm kinda tired of this crap already. I close S1 and it crashes. I close a song and it crashes, I look at S1 wrong and it crashes. I try to go back to the start page and it crashes.

Even Logic X in it's heyday wasn't as bad as this. This is ridiculous now.

The only thing I want from the next version of S1 is stability. F the features.
The FU Presonus is not going to help you. If it's that bad, and you can't get any work done you need to find another DAW. i had the same attitude at the time I had Cubase 7 and at the time the issues with Live 8. I've had studio one crash before, at the same time I was proactive and reported the issue. Via the facebook group their QA specialist assisted me with my issue. Took three days to figure out the issue. If you want to know what bad is doing your work in DP 9 for windows.
Old 1st May 2018
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Here's my speccy summary just for reference to the thread and topic...

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K @ 3.40GHz 33 °C - Broadwell-E/EP 14nm Technology
RAM: 32.0GB Corsair LPX @ 1199MHz (14-16-16-31)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X99 (SOCKET 2011) 33 °C
Graphics: SyncMaster ([email protected]) SyncMaster ([email protected]) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA) 43 °C
Storage:
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 30 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS40 ATA Device
Audio: RME Fireface 800
Did you report your issues? Did you join the stuido one facebook so the presonus staff can help. Their QA guys helps a lot of people with issues with S1. Did you shoot a video and send presonus your issue?
Old 1st May 2018
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I'm on Windows 10 and I get constant crashes ie freezes when I try and exit.
Started with the latest update, so not hardware related.

Happens about 9 times out of ten.
How do you have your computer optimized for audio with Windows 10?
Old 1st May 2018
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

How do some of you expect to get help if you don't report the issue.
Old 1st May 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Hi!!
So many possible culprits... I had problems and tracked it down to some AU plugins, disabling the use of AU completely (having a bunch..) and only using VST helped.
I remember I enabled AU again after an update, and it's working great on 2 different Macs.

Best,
Pelle
Yep. The first thing I did. I usually disable those anyway. It's hard to pinpoint what's causing the issue and the error reports on crash aren't helpful at all.
Old 1st May 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
The FU Presonus is not going to help you. If it's that bad, and you can't get any work done you need to find another DAW. i had the same attitude at the time I had Cubase 7 and at the time the issues with Live 8. I've had studio one crash before, at the same time I was proactive and reported the issue. Via the facebook group their QA specialist assisted me with my issue. Took three days to figure out the issue. If you want to know what bad is doing your work in DP 9 for windows.
I deleted my Facebook account so no go there. And the FU was about me venting my frustration at how buggy the software has become since 2.x. What was once a rock solid piece of software is now as buggy as the software I ran away from in the first place, if not buggier.
Old 1st May 2018
  #37
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I deleted my Facebook account so no go there. And the FU was about me venting my frustration at how buggy the software has become since 2.x. What was once a rock solid piece of software is now as buggy as the software I ran away from in the first place, if not buggier.
I've never had anything get in the way of producing music in Studio One 2 or 3 that I couldn't workout and solve by myself as is evident from my other recent thread, which I can't really blame on Studio One in any case.

I've worked with 180 track projects with a crap ton of effects and instruments, and really it's been rock stable. If Presonus have introduced any critical issue's in updates, I've simply skipped that update and carried on producing for a few more weeks till they sort it, then update.

Avoid using ilok based plugin's with studio one, and properly check that the plugins you add actually work properly. If they don't and they are black listed, get rid of them...

Clean that ship... and the daw will run better and without major issues.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
How do you have your computer optimized for audio with Windows 10?
I've got pretty much all the Black Viper fixes done.
I have no issues at all other than this freeze at exit, everything else runs like a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
How do some of you expect to get help if you don't report the issue.
Honestly, I've reported issues to Presonus in the past, sent screenshots, videos etc, really in-depth.

"We don't have that unit so can't support it" is their standard reply.

UAD is not supported in Studio One, so it's a no-go.

There are various issues with S1 and UAD going back to v2, and nobody is getting answers.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Honestly, I've reported issues to Presonus in the past, sent screenshots, videos etc, really in-depth.

"We don't have that unit so can't support it" is their standard reply.
.
Sounds familiar! I tried to explain them that copy/paste of automation data on folder/aux tracks stopped working since 3.5.1 and got a similar reply.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #40
Gear Head
 

I bet it's some cracked plugins crashing his DAW. Studio One is rock solid now, I haven't had a single crash in over a year.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
I bet it's some cracked plugins crashing his DAW. Studio One is rock solid now, I haven't had a single crash in over a year.
You must have some great cracks!

Old 2nd May 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
I bet it's some cracked plugins crashing his DAW. Studio One is rock solid now, I haven't had a single crash in over a year.
I hope you are not talking about me. I haven't pirated software since I moved away from Windows in 2007 when I got my first MBP. I made a promise to myself that if I am serious about music I will always pay for my tools. ALWAYS.

I don't even pirate movies/games/tv shows. I always pay for what I want because I have the money to do so and I don't need to deprive anyone of their income.

So if this was directed at me, stop it with that ****. I have legitimate issues with a legitimate piece of software on legitimate (as in not hackintosh) hardware.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Anyway. I'm actually going to take the time to troubleshoot this weekend. I had no idea about iLok software of which I have a few here and there (mostly MPC and some of the AIR plugs that came with). It's still extremely annoying. It also doesn't really address the issue as S1 is not the only software I use. I have Ableton (paid for), Logic (paid for), Maschine (both versions and both paid for), The MPC software (paid for), along with all of NI's other stuff (all paid for), Reason (paid for). So removing plugins from the VST/components folder doesn't just affect S1.

It's all well and good to say "move to something else", but I have hundreds of songs I've made in S1 and I constantly jump between songs as I'm working. That's just how I work That's okay I have hundreds of songs I've made in Logic, and Ableton, and Maschine too. It's not as easy as "use something else". That's a lot of work, time and effort gone down the drain.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #44
Deleted User
Guest
Crash Log should tell you which thread crashed S1. Within that thread will be the culprit.

When you have time go to the VST plugins folder and drag them all to another folder making main folder empty. Start adding them back one at a time opening and closing S1 to find the bad guy. What interface are you using BTW?
Old 2nd May 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
I bet it's some cracked plugins crashing his DAW. Studio One is rock solid now, I haven't had a single crash in over a year.


Yep, every single user that experiences UAD crashes, it's because we geniuses have managed to crack UAD's platform. Jeez.

I don't have a single piece of cracked software on my system.

Maybe it's common in the circles you move in, but not mine.
We actually respect the work the developers do and hand over good, hard-earned money to buy it, which is why we get so frustrated when we realise we are just unpaid bug testers.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #46
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post


Yep, every single user that experiences UAD crashes, it's because we geniuses have managed to crack UAD's platform. Jeez.

I don't have a single piece of cracked software on my system.

Maybe it's common in the circles you move in, but not mine.
We actually respect the work the developers do and hand over good, hard-earned money to buy it, which is why we get so frustrated when we realise we are just unpaid bug testers.

By 'we' you mean who exactly? I bet there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people here who use pirated software. Don't worry about my circles and stop that stupid talk. I paid for every single program and plugin I use. And, from my experience, Studio One crashing is caused either by a plugin, iLok software or some other OS or hardware component. For audio use I wouldn't recommend Mac computers.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Well then I'm afraid your experience is limited.
Presonus test their software with fewer hardware devices than any other developer.
Just go check the listed supported DAWs for various items and you'll see that Studio One is conspicuously absent in more cases than any of the other big players.

UAD is one of the more high profile examples.
I had to splash out on a Console 1 (wasn't a sacrifice though, it's the bomb), because it's one of the very few hardware pieces not made by Presonus that offers tight integration that works.
I got an original Faderport for the same reason - 2nd hand, mind.
And dude, you brought up cracked software and started throwing accusations around, not us, ok, so calm, down.

We all love Studio One which is why we persevere, and yes, many crashes will be because of poorly configured systems, dodgy plug-ins etc, but many are simply down to the fact that Studio One has an extensive bug list that Presonus are not doing a good enough job of fixing during the free update cycles.

Are all the major issues and omissions going to be fixed before v4 comes out and we have to part with more money?
Would be nice right?
Let's see.
I'm happy to give them the opportunity.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #48
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
This is why I rarely get involved in these types of threads... It turns into a big drama fest with the usual responses... "works fine for me..... must be your ****" - It gets old... real old... real fast. Instead of actually having a discussion about it, it turns into claims of cracks and attacks on people and this and that... I mean holy ****... Some of these dudes are straight out of the presonus forums because this is the same vibe you get over there... ****ty energy. And that's ultimately why no ones willing to go post over there about anything anymore.

Old 2nd May 2018
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I got banned from there for saying what I just said here

It's run by fanbois like the_mixer, not Presonus, although that's no excuse really, because they must know what kind of reputation that forum has, and they allow it to continue.
It's that kind of attitude from Presonus that is the underlying problem.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #50
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I got banned from there for saying what I just said here

It's run by fanbois like the_mixer, not Presonus, although that's no excuse really, because they must know what kind of reputation that forum has, and they allow it to continue.
It's that kind of attitude from Presonus that is the underlying problem.
We all know what's really goin on and who's who on this thread! Your text on the screen carries your energy signature and a "vibe" to it... There's no hiding from that.

I will leave with this... I love Studio One. It is by far the most well thought out DAW with probably the best overall workflow, with the least amount of tweaking involved. It excels in many places others fall behind. It has major issues though and this is a fact. There are many show stopping bugs that I'm not even going to get into and I'm not going to be a free QA tester and report them. Pay someone to do it properly like a company should so I don't have to deal with that. I paid for the software to work as advertised, not to be a beta tester.

Stop the feature train and stabilize this piece of software, please... That's all anyone who's doing work wants to see.

Old 2nd May 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
If someone thinks UAD might be the culprit and if you haven't already done it...try reloading your uad software. I haven't had any issues with console 1 but the vsm-3 plug occasionally stalls Pro Tools when it's loading. If I reload the UAD stuff and do a re-start I'm good for awhile. But it is always that plug in that seems to stall PT. Also though it's a bit of a pain, if you have UAD plugs that you don't own, you can delete them or move them to another directory until you do and that will rule those out.
L.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
I love Studio One. It is by far the most well thought out DAW with probably the best overall workflow, with the least amount of tweaking involved. It excels in many places others fall behind. It has major issues though and this is a fact. There are many show stopping bugs that I'm not even going to get into and I'm not going to be a free QA tester and report them. Pay someone to do it properly like a company should so I don't have to deal with that. I paid for the software to work as advertised, not to be a beta tester.

Stop the feature train and stabilize this piece of software, please... That's all anyone who's doing work wants to see.

Hear hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
We all know what's really goin on and who's who on this thread! Your text on the screen carries your energy signature and a "vibe" to it... There's no hiding from that.
You're wiser than I am - I haven't got a clue who anyone is unless their 'Credits' link leads to an easily identifiable real name!

If it's juicy gossip then PM me
Old 2nd May 2018
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Crash Log should tell you which thread crashed S1. Within that thread will be the culprit.

When you have time go to the VST plugins folder and drag them all to another folder making main folder empty. Start adding them back one at a time opening and closing S1 to find the bad guy. What interface are you using BTW?

My audio interface is a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
By 'we' you mean who exactly? I bet there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people here who use pirated software. Don't worry about my circles and stop that stupid talk. I paid for every single program and plugin I use. And, from my experience, Studio One crashing is caused either by a plugin, iLok software or some other OS or hardware component. For audio use I wouldn't recommend Mac computers.

I'm just going to ignore you going forward since you seem to be a troll. Why say some dumb **** and then get mad when someone throws it back at you?

Anywho. Thanks to those who actually want to help despite my ornery thread title. I was looking through the crash logs yesterday to see what's in there. A lot to go through. So far no indication that a plugin is causing the issue. I only ever get the crashed when closing a Song to move on to another. Crashes like clock work. It's almost like S1 is having issues un-allocating resources, then crashes when it tries to do it.

It's hard to remember all the issues I've had with the application over the years. I've been a loyal customer since 2012 and have stuck around this long because I'm genuinely a fan of the software. if anyone looks through my thread history you will see that I've been an advocate for S1.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #55
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
My audio interface is a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre.
1. I mention the UAD thing since thats the only thing where we are differing with systems and the interface.

2. I dont have any crashes here with S1, Logic, nor Cubase BTW.

3. Try leaving the Clarett turned off and using the internal sound card and do the open and closing thing, that would rule out and driver issue with S1, yes I realize Logic and Ableton are OK there

4. Post up your crash thread

5. Im on HIGH Sierra here current version BUT, my 4 HD's are all WD spinning drives and are formatted with OS Extended Journaled, not the new format. Could have something to do with that as well, the new format and S1 that is

6. Crash on close is usually a plugin issue where it doesn't respond to the ok we are done here command

7. NO iLok here as well. Make sure that guy is current
Old 2nd May 2018
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
1. I mention the UAD thing since thats the only thing where we are differing with systems and the interface.

2. I dont have any crashes here with S1, Logic, nor Cubase BTW.

3. Try leaving the Clarett turned off and using the internal sound card and do the open and closing thing, that would rule out and driver issue with S1, yes I realize Logic and Ableton are OK there

4. Post up your crash thread

5. Im on HIGH Sierra here current version BUT, my 4 HD's are all WD spinning drives and are formatted with OS Extended Journaled, not the new format. Could have something to do with that as well, the new format and S1 that is

6. Crash on close is usually a plugin issue where it doesn't respond to the ok we are done here command

7. NO iLok here as well
Yep. I guess I never posted my specs.

I'm on a Late 2012 27" i7 iMac recently upgraded to an Samsung 860 Evo Pro (1TB) formatted to APFS, 32GB of RAM.

I did have Sierra before the upgrade so it could very well be a compatibility issue with High Sierra.

I will try the internal audio interface tonight when I get home to see wassup there.

As the #6 . I've tried with a brand new session just audio files no plugins loaded. Same thing, which is why I believe it's not a plugin issue but who knows.

I appreciate the tips on what to look for.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #57
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
1. I mention the UAD thing since thats the only thing where we are differing with systems and the interface.

2. I dont have any crashes here with S1, Logic, nor Cubase BTW.

3. Try leaving the Clarett turned off and using the internal sound card and do the open and closing thing, that would rule out and driver issue with S1, yes I realize Logic and Ableton are OK there

4. Post up your crash thread

5. Im on HIGH Sierra here current version BUT, my 4 HD's are all WD spinning drives and are formatted with OS Extended Journaled, not the new format. Could have something to do with that as well, the new format and S1 that is

6. Crash on close is usually a plugin issue where it doesn't respond to the ok we are done here command

7. NO iLok here as well
Yep. I guess I never posted my specs.

I'm on a Late 2012 27" i7 iMac recently upgraded to an Samsung 860 Evo Pro (1TB) formatted to APFS, 32GB of RAM.

I did have Sierra before the upgrade so it could very well be a compatibility issue with High Sierra.

I will try the internal audio interface tonight when I get home to see wassup there.

As the #6 . I've tried with a brand new session just audio files no plugins loaded. Same thing, which is why I believe it's not a plugin issue but who knows.

I appreciate the tips on what to look for.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Anywho. Thanks to those who actually want to help despite my ornery thread title. I was looking through the crash logs yesterday to see what's in there. A lot to go through. So far no indication that a plugin is causing the issue. I only ever get the crashed when closing a Song to move on to another. Crashes like clock work. It's almost like S1 is having issues un-allocating resources, then crashes when it tries to do it.
I haven't even checked my crash logs yet, so thanks for reminding me, kind of stupid I hadn't bothered to be honest.

Another strange thing happened to me with UAD, but only twice in the last couple of months - After a freeze at Quit, when I re-opened a project, I got an error message saying that no card could be found on the system.

Going into Device Manager (Windows 10 here, btw, I'll list my specs at the end) and disabling then re-enabling the card fixed it straight away, but it's weird.

Disabling the card in the past (deliberately) stopped the freezes at Quit, but I only tried that once, so I'm going to do that again and see if it's a repeatable occurrence.

I know I'm on a different platform to you guys but there is some hardware overlap.

Self-build Specs (has always been rock solid, and I mean rock solid, has never crashed, even with the overclock, but that's why I got the 2500K and didn't cheap out on RAM):

Windows 10 64 bit
i5 2500K Quad core @ 4GHz (LGA 1155)
ASRock P67 Extreme 4 rev B3
G.Skill Trident X F3 DDR3 2133 RAM (2x8GB kit)
2 x Sapphire Nitro R9 380X 4GB
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (projects)
Micron Real C400 128GB SSD (system)
2 x 512GB Seagate Pipeline SATA III
1 x 250GB Seagate SATA III
1 x 160GB " " "
1.5TB external SATA III (USB 3.0) for image backups
-------
Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen
Console 1 MkII
Uad-2 Duo PCIe x 1
Presonus Faderport (original)
Novation Launchkey 49 MkII

I have that many drives because I like to compartmentalise everything for faster backups (Stills/Video, Music/Games, Docs/Installers etc).
I've got a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 cooler and 6 system fans with a 6-channel fan controller to keep everything cool and quiet, and it's all powered by a Corsair CX750M modular power supply.
(Ok, I can feel I'm gushing over my computer but I took a lot of care to make sure that if anything went tits up, it wouldn't be the PC itself, and it's done an amazing job for being an 1155 machine).
Old 2nd May 2018
  #59
Gear Nut
 

Do you use Reaktor 6 in Studio One by any chance, because that tends to crash upon exit for me.

I use Reaktor in Studio One, but it's not something I would sacrifice because there's crash upon exiting Studio One 3.5...

So there could be connection there.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Meh. Ok, where do I find the crash dump logs..

Can't find anything relevant/readable in App Data>Roaming>Presonus>Studio One 3
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump