The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Regarding Studio One Projects
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Regarding Studio One Projects

Hey Guys,

Does anyone else notice that when you render a completed song into a Wav in the project window, the tracks sounds different?

As an example, I just finishes a Funk track and everything was mixed as I wanted. I then rendered the track to a project and hear that certain busses are too loud and there is too much bass or low mid. I find that I have to keep going back to the original song to make changes and form a new project.

I am not adding any plugins to the project at this point.
Old 21st November 2017
Deleted User
Turn dithering OFF in S1 preferences/options. that way it stays at full resolution. Let the Project page do the dithering
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply but what is the default dithering options and how did it affect the Project page sound?
Old 9th August 2019
Not sure if related and I realize this is old thread, but I have been trying to compile an album with Project page and have noticed that when ever I do "update master file" via the Project page, the automation is not rendered. When I update the master file from Song page, it renders fine. This has been really making me scratch my head as to why tracks sound different in Project page, but I think I've narrowed it to this strange behavior with automation.

I've no idea why there is difference to how it interprets automation as in both cases the song is opened and rendered.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Are you actually saving the song before trying it via the project page?
This won't affect the render on the song page (as it just renders the song in whatever current state it's in and updates based on that, saved or unsaved), but if you update master file from the project page, it will use the most recently saved version.
So if you tweak automation in Song, then flip straight to project and update, you'll still be getting the old version, ie nothing is happening.
You should be able to tell because S1 will tell you the file name of new saves it sees as needing updating on the project page.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict

This is correct. There is a little difference in sound (i don't know why) with Offline Export rendering. If you want exactly the same sound as you hear in your project use Realtime Export.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Are you actually saving the song before trying it via the project page?
This won't affect the render on the song page (as it just renders the song in whatever current state it's in and updates based on that, saved or unsaved), but if you update master file from the project page, it will use the most recently saved version.
So if you tweak automation in Song, then flip straight to project and update, you'll still be getting the old version, ie nothing is happening.
You should be able to tell because S1 will tell you the file name of new saves it sees as needing updating on the project page.
Was this a reply to me?

I have all my album songs (song files, not wav) added to project and when ever I make a change to a song or even just save it, the project window tells me that the master file needs to be updated (understandably). I'm sure it looks at the song file and master file dates to see whether song is more recent than master. I don't save with a new name at this point anymore.

With a few tunes so far it does not render automation _at all_ when I do the update master file via project window, it renders the song as if there was no automation, but if I manually open the song file and update it works.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

That's interesting.
Either a bug or expected (but irritating for you) behaviour.

Either way, solution is simple.
When you change/edit automation, you're in the song page anyway, so just hit update master files while you're there.
Doesn't take any more time than switching to project and making the command there, right?
I'm not defending the implementation here btw, but because you have to be on the song page to change automation (or anything else song related) anyway, there's no extra time or hassle involved updating from the song page.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search