The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CTC 1 Console Shaper?
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Addict

CTC 1 Console Shaper?

Has anyone gotten this? I am thinking about getting this, and rolling in with this.
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

I have but dont use it.
All emulations in CTC-1 have unnatural high frequency roll off,decrease in 96kHz sample rate projects.
At 44 kHz almost flat.
Maybe CTC-1 uses impulses with bad sample rate conversion
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Head

Hi!
IMHO it's great. I like the Presonus Console best, nice on drums :-)
Also the Tape from Softube is fantastic.

Best,
Pelle
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
I have but dont use it.
All emulations in CTC-1 have unnatural high frequency roll off,decrease in 96kHz sample rate projects.
At 44 kHz almost flat.
So you're saying you don't like it?
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Hi!
IMHO it's great. I like the Presonus Console best, nice on drums :-)
Also the Tape from Softube is fantastic.

Best,
Pelle
From what l heard it sound nice on drums. I like the fact that it takes out noise floor.

That tape from Softube is winning a lot of people over. I would love to heear a shoot out between two songs mixed , one with it and one without it.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

CTC-1 sounds like night and day at 96 and 44.1 kHz.
I think its bug need to be fixed and I dont like buggy soft.
I have many other console emulations like Slate,Sonimus and built-in Presonus Console Shaper.
And they all sound the same at 96 and 44.1.
BTW I like built-in Console Shaper and Softube Tape so much.
For example built-in Console Shaper opens mix,better separates instruments at 96 kHz
CTC-1 especially Custom mode sounds dull and mashy at 96 kHz

Last edited by goshalev; 22nd October 2017 at 10:49 AM..
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Addict
I like CTC-1 a lot, but I don't mix at 96k. I also use and like Softube Tape.

Each of the CTC consoles and Tape machines imparts a different sound. It's fun to mix and match among different groups of tracks, although that can be a big time sink. Usually I just try each console / tape setting on the master bus and choose which one sounds best.

The only drawback is the CPU hit, which is strangely inconsistent on my system. But the sound quality is well worth it, IMHO.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 23rd October 2017
js1
Lives for gear

I like it as well. It's an easy path to a reasonable sounding mix.

Doesn't always work, but when it does, it works well. Likewise, I'm at 44.1 or 48K.
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
CTC-1 sounds like night and day at 96 and 44.1 kHz.
I think its bug need to be fixed and I dont like buggy soft.
I have many other console emulations like Slate,Sonimus and built-in Presonus Console Shaper.
And they all sound the same at 96 and 44.1.
BTW I like built-in Console Shaper and Softube Tape so much.
For example built-in Console Shaper opens mix,better separates instruments at 96 kHz
CTC-1 especially Custom mode sounds dull and mashy at 96 kHz
Let me pick your brain: -)
Are you using a Mac or PC?
Are you saying no need to get the CTC 1 just use the Console shaper?
My main goal is to get it for taking out noise floor.

Wow this has turned into a Softube Tape thread haaaa. Its all good. I would like to get that also. What settings do you go for when using the Softube Tape?
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
I like CTC-1 a lot, but I don't mix at 96k. I also use and like Softube Tape.

Each of the CTC consoles and Tape machines imparts a different sound. It's fun to mix and match among different groups of tracks, although that can be a big time sink. Usually I just try each console / tape setting on the master bus and choose which one sounds best.

The only drawback is the CPU hit, which is strangely inconsistent on my system. But the sound quality is well worth it, IMHO.

Cheers,
Eddie
What do you mix at, 44.1/24bit?
You put the CTC 1 or the Softube on the master buss at the end of the chain?
My CPU source has improved since the last upated version. I'm on a PC and l did a test with over 25 plugs and it didn't even touch half way. Before if l opened 4 plugs the meter was darn near half way. That was insanity.
I would like to use the Tape in the mastering section of Studio One.
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
What do you mix at, 44.1/24bit?
You put the CTC 1 or the Softube on the master buss at the end of the chain?
I've been mixing at 44.1 and 48 lately. Can't comment on the sound at 96.

To clarify how I use both Tape and CTC-1 at the same time, I'll put Tape on the Master, and separate CTC-1 instances on major group buses (drums, vocals, bass, gtrs/keys).

Before starting the main mixing process, I'll choose which Tape model sounds best on the rough mix. Then I'll try different CTC-1 consoles on the buses. Usually I use the same model across all the buses, but sometimes using different ones sounds cool. :-)

Once I've chosen what console and tape emulation I want, I'll leave them on for the duration, mixing through them. Slapping on a CTC console at the end of mixing generally doesn't work very well, as the effect is very noticeable, not nearly as subtle as the standard Console Shaper -- I rarely turn up CTC-1's Drive control, but a little Crosstalk is usually good.

I find the combination of CTC-1 and Tape works better than the console/tape sims I used to use. Much easier with S1's MixFX setup, too. Big thanks to Presonus for this feature.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
I've been mixing at 44.1 and 48 lately. Can't comment on the sound at 96.

To clarify how I use both Tape and CTC-1 at the same time, I'll put Tape on the Master, and separate CTC-1 instances on major group buses (drums, vocals, bass, gtrs/keys).

Before starting the main mixing process, I'll choose which Tape model sounds best on the rough mix. Then I'll try different CTC-1 consoles on the buses. Usually I use the same model across all the buses, but sometimes using different ones sounds cool. :-)

Once I've chosen what console and tape emulation I want, I'll leave them on for the duration, mixing through them. Slapping on a CTC console at the end of mixing generally doesn't work very well, as the effect is very noticeable, not nearly as subtle as the standard Console Shaper -- I rarely turn up CTC-1's Drive control, but a little Crosstalk is usually good.

I find the combination of CTC-1 and Tape works better than the console/tape sims I used to use. Much easier with S1's MixFX setup, too. Big thanks to Presonus for this feature.

Cheers,
Eddie
Thanks for that l like your chain. I have Tape and slap it on after l mix. But lm going to try it your way to see if l like it. Presonus is killing the game. They now put Arranger in the free demo versions and that Arranger track thing is really kool. I just seen a live scream on it, the guy was saying Tape has an edge on Slate and l say on Waves too. That scratch pad is like the best. Pure genius! The things l am doing in Studio One 3 l couldn't fo in Protools.

Thanks for that chain you shared on the mix
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Maniac

IMO it's just a gimmick.

There are many other ways to get subtle mix changes by inserting Some Multi-band, FET glue compression or a multitude of 500 series console effects on your master bus.
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear
I always use the built in console shaper (SSL) and I'm more than happy with it, to say the least. It makes a massive difference vs pre-console shaper days (or mere console emu plugs which don't do the same thing at all). That said I'm sticking with the built in one which would probably be my choice anyway even if they were all free, I don't think it's something we should over-think. As the stock one works so well and really enhances a mix and the mixing process it would be silly of me to go changing again, especially when I hear of bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
IMO it's just a gimmick.

There are many other ways to get subtle mix changes by inserting Some Multi-band, FET glue compression or a multitude of 500 series console effects on your master bus.

well, you're wrong! It's not a gimmick at all and you sound like you don't know what you are talking about. I use much of what you say on my master bus IN ADDITION to console shaper, totally different things my friend. There is simply NO way to 'emulate' what console shaper (mix FX) does with normal plug-ins that can only act on audio either BEFORE a bus or AFTER a bus (not in between at the summing stage). Its crucial to console shaper to be able to get the bi-directional audio right in the heart of the summing engine and imbue its console emulation there, to give the most realistic and 'fun to work with' feel. Analog feel!

Sticking console emus on channels and busses doesn't do the same at all, I no longer use any console emus. Don't need them, and Console Shaper works best and sounds best.

As for master bus, sure I can and will use a lot of whatever I need there to make things even better inc the stunning softube drawmer multiband comp (full comp not the nerfed thing) in mid side mode to enhance a 3D feel and wrap around (this plug really helps make it sound "like a record" along with my usual bus comps, mix eq and saturation, VTM tape etc).

Even with all those in place, turn off console shaper when you've mixed with it on and witness your mix flatten out and become far less vibey and more 'digital'.

Of course, luckily for you, you are free to not use it and go on believing you are correct in your opinion while your mixes miss out. Free world.
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I always use the built in console shaper (SSL) and I'm more than happy with it, to say the least. It makes a massive difference vs pre-console shaper days (or mere console emu plugs which don't do the same thing at all). That said I'm sticking with the built in one which would probably be my choice anyway even if they were all free, I don't think it's something we should over-think. As the stock one works so well and really enhances a mix and the mixing process it would be silly of me to go changing again, especially when I hear of bugs.

well, you're wrong! It's not a gimmick at all and you sound like you don't know what you are talking about. I use much of what you say on my master bus IN ADDITION to console shaper, totally different things my friend. There is simply NO way to 'emulate' what console shaper (mix FX) does with normal plug-ins that can only act on audio either BEFORE a bus or AFTER a bus (not in between at the summing stage). Its crucial to console shaper to be able to get the bi-directional audio right in the heart of the summing engine and imbue its console emulation there, to give the most realistic and 'fun to work with' feel. Analog feel!

Sticking console emus on channels and busses doesn't do the same at all, I no longer use any console emus. Don't need them, and Console Shaper works best and sounds best.

As for master bus, sure I can and will use a lot of whatever I need there to make things even better inc the stunning softube drawmer multiband comp (full comp not the nerfed thing) in mid side mode to enhance a 3D feel and wrap around (this plug really helps make it sound "like a record" along with my usual bus comps, mix eq and saturation, VTM tape etc).

Even with all those in place, turn off console shaper when you've mixed with it on and witness your mix flatten out and become far less vibey and more 'digital'.

Of course, luckily for you, you are free to not use it and go on believing you are correct in your opinion while your mixes miss out. Free world.
OK, So you are very stern about me being wrong I guess. Each to his own.

Did you ever compare the plugin with your mix on a real Neve or SSL console and A/B the mixes? Please get back to us with the results.

I never said the Console Shaper didn't change any sound or dynamics. i just doubted it is replicated a certain console. THAT being the gimmick.

BTW, I am a Slate junkie and have all of his plugins and do use the Console Shaper because I like it's SOUND. I don't claim it emulates any console because I can't prove it.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have but dont use it.
At 44 kHz almost flat.
Totally not my experience...

That being said, I've been using softube tape since it was released because it takes advantage of the mixfx in studio one
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have but dont use it.
At 44 kHz almost flat.
Totally not my experience...

That being said, I've been using softube tape since it was released because it takes advantage of the mixfx in studio one
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Nut

Well, I'm fairly new to be posting on this forum, and I hold a monogamousness sort of status around here..and there's some of you I recognise on this forum...I'll possibly reveal my origins at some point in the future...but any ways...I've been using Studio One 3 / 3.5 on a daily basis since it's release.

My view of the CTC 1 Console Shaper, is that it's a product designed to fulfil a purpose because the ability exists within Studio One's mix engine, rather than one that in any real practical sense adds anything of meaningful value that can't be achieved by other means with conventional methods. Typically, you want to remove noise from your music, not add to it, nor colour it.

I don't even use the default Console Shaper, it's something that I don't want or need in my productions. It was also never something that was ever requested by the community or even top voted for in even having.

But anyway, that's my honest opinion :-).
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Another thing I mess around with is putting whatever console I'm trying to mimic... Say a neve...put whatever never channel or amp section that works well with the material on every individual channel... Put ctc on the busses ( dialing in the minimum character, x talk or vibe).... Put softube tape on 2 buss

Basically using the ctc mix fx architecture but relying on other devs for mojo...

It sounds great... Truth be told, sounds fine without all of that stuff too!
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottym View Post
Well, I'm fairly new to be posting on this forum, and I hold a monogamousness sort of status around here..and there's some of you I recognise on this forum...I'll possibly reveal my origins at some point in the future...but any ways...I've been using Studio One 3 / 3.5 on a daily basis since it's release.

My view of the CTC 1 Console Shaper, is that it's a product designed to fulfil a purpose because the ability exists within Studio One's mix engine, rather than one that in any real practical sense adds anything of meaningful value that can't be achieved by other means with conventional methods. Typically, you want to remove noise from your music, not add to it, nor colour it.

I don't even use the default Console Shaper, it's something that I don't want or need in my productions. It was also never something that was ever requested by the community or even top voted for in even having.

But anyway, that's my honest opinion :-).
+1

I dislike that they put development time into these gimmicks as opposed to making Studio One more optimized and just making it better and better. But I suppose they can't a quick buck that way. It'd be interesting to see how many professional S1 users even touch the mix FX feature. Like you said, nobody even requested for it really but I guess it's cool to have things other DAWs dont I guess :P

The rate Presonus seems to be pumping out new products just in the last 2-3 years is a bit scary when all I care about from them is their DAW. I just pray they eventually put more focus into it since its such a big part (if not the biggest) of their customer base now.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapollo View Post
+1

I dislike that they put development time into these gimmicks as opposed to making Studio One more optimized and just making it better and better. But I suppose they can't a quick buck that way. It'd be interesting to see how many professional S1 users even touch the mix FX feature. Like you said, nobody even requested for it really but I guess it's cool to have things other DAWs dont I guess :P

The rate Presonus seems to be pumping out new products just in the last 2-3 years is a bit scary when all I care about from them is their DAW. I just pray they eventually put more focus into it since its such a big part (if not the biggest) of their customer base now.
Presonus are a hardware company. Before studio one they always came out with a lot of products. As far the mix fx, nobody did ask for that but nobody asked for the scratch pad or arranger track. A lot of people from what I've seen use the mix fx. Studio One home studio users (pro's) who do this for a living have some use for it. They are very active and know about how much popular their DAW is. Their VP is on the facebook group, presonus software general manager, and a presonus software developer. They have been doing a decent job of listening compared to avid or motu (trying using DP on windows). With what your saying it sounds like your not happy with their stuff or unsure of whether you want to use it or not. In the case I would try other products (just in case you feel your going to stop using it).
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatizright View Post
Presonus are a hardware company. Before studio one they always came out with a lot of products. As far the mix fx, nobody did ask for that but nobody asked for the scratch pad or arranger track. A lot of people from what I've seen use the mix fx. Studio One home studio users (pro's) who do this for a living have some use for it. They are very active and know about how much popular their DAW is. Their VP is on the facebook group, presonus software general manager, and a presonus software developer. They have been doing a decent job of listening compared to avid or motu (trying using DP on windows). With what your saying it sounds like your not happy with their stuff or unsure of whether you want to use it or not. In the case I would try other products (just in case you feel your going to stop using it).
Oh I adore Studio One and I would love to see it continue to thrive! I understand they are a hardware company and have used some of their interfaces before. I'd just like to see them focus on more professional tools and improving things like MIDI, bugs and stability putting it ahead of Cubase and Logic. I don't use those DAW's anymore because I prefer S1's workflow and speed massively. I just personally feel things like the mix FX are gimmicky - the scratch pads and arranger actually affect workflow however, the arranger especially.

If anything its cool, but okay they've done that - lets just not churn out lots of add on plugins for it that you need to purchase. Other companies do plugins better :P

I'm not saying they don't listen, they clearly have - and thankfully addressed a lot of the issues so far which again, is a reason I still use S1. I'd just like to see them continue this trend as opposed to the addon/plugin front. I DREAM of Studio One 4/+ capable of everything Logic and Cubase in the professional world!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1

I generally agree 100%

But they have been much more responsive with hot fixes and updates in general I think
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh I adore Studio One and I would love to see it continue to thrive! I understand they are a hardware company and have used some of their interfaces before. I'd just like to see them focus on more professional tools and improving things like MIDI, bugs and stability putting it ahead of Cubase and Logic. I don't use those DAW's anymore because I prefer S1's workflow and speed massively. I just personally feel things like the mix FX are gimmicky - the scratch pads and arranger actually affect workflow however, the arranger especially.

If anything its cool, but okay they've done that - lets just not churn out lots of add on plugins for it that you need to purchase. Other companies do plugins better :P

I'm not saying they don't listen, they clearly have - and thankfully addressed a lot of the issues so far which again, is a reason I still use S1. I'd just like to see them continue this trend as opposed to the addon/plugin front. I DREAM of Studio One 4/+ capable of everything Logic and Cubase in the professional world!
Just stop using the stock plugins. I like them, but I use the Slate Plugins more. Studio One is professional. An engineer/producer won a grammy mixing/recording and mastering in studio one a couple years ago. At the end of the day its on the user.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1

I'm not even seeing the correlation here. Not only did Presonus give us Console Shaper, they also gave us the hybrid engine among a whole bunch of other features. It may be a gimmick to you but it completely changed how I mix. I don't know about you but I want Presonus to be forward thinking, that means experimenting with features like Console Shaper, Scratch Pad etc.

Presonus is more willing than most DAW makers to try things. Would I like more focus on basics? Sure. But I can't fault them for trying something different. If the feature were completely useless that would be one thing, but Console Shaper works as advertised and is damn good. No other DAW except maybe Harrison Mix Bus has something like that built in. Presonus probably anticipated more third party support, unfortunately that hasn't happened yet except for Tape.
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I'm not even seeing the correlation here. Not only did Presonus give us Console Shaper, they also gave us the hybrid engine among a whole bunch of other features. It may be a gimmick to you but it completely changed how I mix. I don't know about you but I want Presonus to be forward thinking, that means experimenting with features like Console Shaper, Scratch Pad etc.

Presonus is more willing than most DAW makers to try things. Would I like more focus on basics? Sure. But I can't fault them for trying something different. If the feature were completely useless that would be one thing, but Console Shaper works as advertised and is damn good. No other DAW except maybe Harrison Mix Bus has something like that built in. Presonus probably anticipated more third party support, unfortunately that hasn't happened yet except for Tape.
I myself like the sound of the Console Shaper and use it. I called it a "Gimmick" on another post and seemed to anger some people.

The truth is it sounds good. Now, for the people who claim it actually EMULATES a console, please A/B you mix through your MB and a real SSL console then get back to us with the results.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Which emulation is the SSL console using CTC-1

Also, is it possible to use Softube's multitape and CTC-1 at the same time as a Mix Engine Effect?

Thanks
Old 28th March 2018
js1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
Which emulation is the SSL console using CTC-1

Also, is it possible to use Softube's multitape and CTC-1 at the same time as a Mix Engine Effect?
Don't think there's an SSL. The Brit one is Neve. The other ones are Tube (of undetermined origin) and Custom, which they state isn't based on any one console.

The original Console Shaper may be SSL inspired, but again, they don't say.

You can't use more than one Mix FX at a time, so Multitape at the same time as CTC-1 is out.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Don't think there's an SSL. The Brit one is Neve. The other ones are Tube (of undetermined origin) and Custom, which they state isn't based on any one console.

The original Console Shaper may be SSL inspired, but again, they don't say.

You can't use more than one Mix FX at a time, so Multitape at the same time as CTC-1 is out.
Thank you js1. I do like the sound of Brit.
I will then proceed to use CTC-1 as a mix effect and Softube Tape on a mixbuss. Also, thanks to Pro5 for his suggestions on the CTC-1.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1

All these gimmicks need maintenance. Mix engine FX alter the sound but I doubt it make any meaningful difference. Did Presonus really think they were going to sell thousands of mix engine fx plugin licenses?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search