The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sends = No panning
Old 23rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Sends = No panning

Hi

I have a guitar track panned to the right.

When I apply a send, the effect is centered. Indeed, the panning information is not sent to the bus. However I want the guitar+effects stay to the right.

I know there is a panning slider below the send volume slider for that, but I don't want to move 2 different sliders.

Is there a setting to follow the same panning to the sends as the track ?
(I think Protools is able to do that)

Fred
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Panning a send is just one little bar below the send deal...
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Nut
You're looking for a Follow Main Pan equivalent from Pro Tools. There isnt one (afaik) in S1. I agree its quite annoying, matching pan settings is tedious.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Panning a send is just one little bar below the send deal...
"I know there is a panning slider below the send volume slider for that, but I don't want to move 2 different sliders."
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW89 View Post
"I know there is a panning slider below the send volume slider for that, but I don't want to move 2 different sliders."
Two sliders?

R u talking about volume and pan sliders in the send?
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Two sliders?

R u talking about volume and pan sliders in the send?
That was a quote from OP, and yeah hes talking about the vol and pan sliders on a Send function. He/she (as am I) are looking for a Follow Main Pan function (a la PT), to avoid manually setting Send Pans to the same pan setting as the Bus.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

I don't get it how people don't find this super annoying... It's so important... hoping they will implement it someday, and then i'll make the switch to their DAW!
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Moving a slider is what's stopping you?

Damn, and I thought I was unmotivated

I did look for a solution for you though.

Unless/until they implement the mode that pt has, you'll need to assign a hardware control to both values simultaneously.
You can't do this via control link, there it's only one param per control.

You can however do this (wait...) using the channel macro editor, which allows you to map as many parameters as you want from as many different plugs as you want to a single virtual macro knob which in turn is mapped to a hw knob.
You can then save this as an fx chain which you could load onto every channel at the start of your mix.

Now one hw knob controls both pan and send pan at the same time for the selected channel. Great!

Except you can't, because the channel editor only allows you to map parameters this way for inserts.
That is kind of annoying in general and seems like an oversight more than anything else because that is one easy feature implementation, and if they want to lure more pt guys away, they'll need to add the useful little things like that.

While on the subject of fx chains, there is one thing that really annoys me, and that is that you can't add an fx chain to existing inserts, the only option is for it to replace completely everything that was there.
This seems like a major oversight as well, often I want to add a chain to an existing chain, but I can't, which is silly.

This is especially annoying when you use Console 1, because adding an fx chain overwrites/deletes the console 1 instance (and everything else that was there before, including channel editor macro controls and any splitter config you have set up), and there's literally no way to stop it happening.
Does my head in.

In your example it means that even if there was the option to link pan and send pan to one control at the same time, you could only apply that to all channels at once at the very start of the project, you couldn't go into old ones and mass-add it.
You could always include that linked pan config in every other fx chain you create, which means overwriting wouldn't be a problem from that point, but this feature doesn't exist yet, so I should apologise for wasting your time really haha!!!

Ask for it, I'll upvote it.

(I won't, I'm banned, but I'll be there in spirit!)
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear
Sends have returns. Returns have panning. Are you using a stereo send with pan, or Mono send with no panning return?
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah but what if you have 3 sources sending to one verb and you want them panned L, C, R in that verb?

Then linking the return to the source won't work.

As a workaround you could always have one verb exclusively for each and every source, but then in that example you'd need 3 verbs loaded instead of one, and you'd have to make a group (control group, not bus/aux) for each pair of source/verb.
So yes it can be done with your logic, but that's a pretty intensive workaround rather than just having a switch globally/per channel, and doesn't save time, just adds it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search