The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 3.2: Console Shaper Overview!!!
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Studio One 3.2: Console Shaper Overview!!!

Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

I'll post this again here so users don't have to search the main 3.2 thread to find the presets in Console Shaper.

If any of you guys are missing the presets in the Console Shaper... you need to run the Re-index Presets on the browser home page.

Re-index Presets....

Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

So... what do you guys think about the Console Shaper?
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Nothing special, much like clocks made everything better, then analogue summing made everything better, for some people this will make everything better, reality is it is just another way to get you to buy stuff, worst part of the entire update for me personally.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Wasn't this free?

You do NOT have to buy 3rd party Mix-FX'es..................... Still many moons away.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Ha, this was an amazing and FREE update. And most peopleS posts read overly entitled. Also it seems most people aren't catching on to how the consel shaper differs from VCC , Satson etc but are quick to criticize it. I can't believe how many features were added, the value of these features, given to us for FREE and then.... Meh, poo poo Presonus.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

This whole new special way of saying 'You are not allowed an opinion' ...'Entitled'
How very very silly, one feature is blown out of proportion by Presonus hype, and if you think it is a dead end protocol and point it out, you are such a bad bad person, all entitled and whatever other particular current buzzphrase you fancy.
The whole way they portrayed this as impossible before and then when confronted with facts could no longer back that nonsense up, well that says it all really, the rest of the update is good, oh wow it is FREE, yes FREE, do you want to type it a few more times, it was FREE, but wait because it was FREE, you are not allowed to have an opinion about how a company you have invested time and money in, are spending their limited resources on product you own and use and indeed pay for.

What utter utter nonsense, deifying developers has gotten so silly now, they are not your friend, they could not care if you walk fall or get hit by a car, as long as your wallet is open, and why should they care about anything else ? they are a business a company, and if i invest in a companies products, I have the right to have an opinion on them, and that is not entitled, it is simple fact.
Now go enjoy your console plugin and stop acting butt hurt because other people have opinions.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

While the Console Shaper itself may not be revelutionary (in the function of a console channel), the way that the Mix-FX is implemented within a DAW certainly is.
It is the FIRST time this type of implementation is done = revelutionary (small or big, it's up to you to decide)).

It IS a great addition for an alternative workflow, no matter how proprietary the "protocol" is.
It also doesn't matter if this is a closed protocol or not, it IS a tool within PreSonus. Which make Studio One more feature rich and versatile...... And you DON'T have to use it (your choice).

@ Bungle - please stop the "not your friends" BS, and bla bla bla. Before you make a fool of yourself.
If you do not think this is any good (or whatever), just say so.............. and move on (not the first forum you have been trolling. KVR comes to mind).

Please do NOT underestimate other users, and take a look at your own wording. No one else is as one track minded as you, and You are clearly in the minority here. Sorry to say, but THAT is a fact...

PS. Dead protocol, maybe. But NOT to PreSonus, Slate, Softube ++
I am sure if a plugin vendor ask to make a console channel plugin for the Mix-FX system/implementation, they get the "protocol" they need

Free, yes. You were the one bringing in an argument of "only to bring in more money" and "only your wallet is open" etc...
NO ONE have spent a single dollar on the Mix-FX (and the Console Shaper) so far. And will never have to if they don't want to.

I guess you have your preffered DAW and/or plugins of choice, which you didn't get for free (uhu, your wallet, uhu )............... I guess
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

I think Console Shaper sounds incredible.

I own VCC, which I also like.

I instantly liked Console Shaper better though. I can take it further while still sounding good and natural if that makes sense.

I've learned to be careful with crosstalk. Get up too high and you are feeding every track through every other tracks plugins. Can get ugly, or totally awesome. This might be fun to automate for specific parts of a song.

Another thing I noticed is that as the drive knob is turned up it washes out distorted guitars. This is with no crosstalk at all. Not sure what that's about. As long as you keep the drive knob below 9 oclock it's fine, but go any higher and listen to your guitars fade way into the background.
Old 29th February 2016
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I think Console Shaper sounds incredible.

I own VCC, which I also like.

I instantly liked Console Shaper better though. I can take it further while still sounding good and natural if that makes sense.

I've learned to be careful with crosstalk. Get up too high and you are feeding every track through every other tracks plugins. Can get ugly, or totally awesome. This might be fun to automate for specific parts of a song.

Another thing I noticed is that as the drive knob is turned up it washes out distorted guitars. This is with no crosstalk at all. Not sure what that's about. As long as you keep the drive knob below 9 oclock it's fine, but go any higher and listen to your guitars fade way into the background.
The problem with the drive knob--at least as reported on the other threads, and casually observed by myself--is that it turns up all channel faders pre-insert. This can clip and overload other plug-ins, and other-wise throw gain-staging to the wind. It's a cool plug in, and idea, but this lessens the usefulness of the drive knob substantially.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
It is the FIRST time this type of implementation is done = revelutionary (small or big, it's up to you to decide)).
Mixbus was the first to do that and it does it really well.
I like Mixbus.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
The problem with the drive knob--at least as reported on the other threads, and casually observed by myself--is that it turns up all channel faders pre-insert. This can clip and overload other plug-ins, and other-wise throw gain-staging to the wind. It's a cool plug in, and idea, but this lessens the usefulness of the drive knob substantially.
I just leave the drive at 0 to 1 and if I want to drive the busses more just turn up the faders. Use it like its an analog console. I also set my levels for -20db=0Vu. The drive knob only seems useful if planning on doing your processing post console shaper.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ben View Post
Mixbus was the first to do that and it does it really well.
I like Mixbus.
I have Mixbus... I like it, but for quick mixing only

Are you sure that is implemented the same way? Or do they have the "analog" channel integrated at track/bus level, and not in the "core" of the audio engine?
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Sound-wise, I really liked Console Shaper. It just sounds great and the technology itself has a lot of potential. I really can't wait for third-party developers like Slate, Softube and Acoustica Audio to start releasing their stuff.

However, I didn't really like the way Presonus has implemented it; Specifically, I've actually hated the fact that when you increase your Console Shaper's drive, it increases the actual levels of each individual track under its influence, which totally screws your gain-staging...

If you're in the middle of a big mix and decide to back away the drive in Console Shaper, you'll have to re-check the gain-staging of all your individual tracks afterwards, specially those with level sensitive plugins like compressors and analogue emulations.

Presonus should've at least given the option to apply Console Shaper's drive pre or post-fader, in my opinion.

Anyway, regarding Mixbus, I think its developers are in real trouble now. Once developers like Slate and Softube start releasing their Console Shaper stuff, Studio One will be able to do everything that Mixbus does, and much more, since Studio One is light-years ahead in terms of features.

The only real advantage that Mixbus used to have over other DAWs was its deep, mix engine level analogue emulation thing. Now, as far as I understand, Studio One is able to do a very similar thing, in a much more versatile and promising manner.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMorgan View Post
Presonus should've at least given the option to apply Console Shaper's drive pre or post-fader, in my opinion.
Good point. Hopefully they'll add this and it would be backward compatible to mixes created using the current version. It's hard to believe that nobody who was testing it raised the gain staging issue. Even the guys in the tutorial videos don't seem particularly aware of this issue.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Even the guys in the tutorial videos don't seem particularly aware of this issue.
You're right. I've watched/read many reviews about it and none of them mentioned the gain-staging issue so far.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMorgan View Post
You're right. I've watched/read many reviews about it and none of them mentioned the gain-staging issue so far.
Because their mindset is to start with the Console Shaper turned on prior to mixing, at mix start.
It is not supposed to turn this on and off during the process (That only messes with your brain/ears ).

But I agree, something they should look into.
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Because their mindset is to start with the Console Shaper turned on prior to mixing, at mix start.
Sure, I agree. It's supposed to be used from the start.

But, how about if, in the middle of a big mix, you decide that there's too much drive?

Then you're forced to review all you gain-staging if you decide to turn it down a bit...And if you've got a lot of compressors, side-chains and analogue emulations, which are very level dependent, you're going to spend a considerable time setting things up all over again.

This is very wrong, in my opinion...No plugin should force you to do something like that. It's a serious usability issue.
Old 3rd March 2016
I think it sounds great.
But my CPU use jumped from 55 to 80 % ouch.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
I think it sounds great.
But my CPU use jumped from 55 to 80 % ouch.
Yes. It takes some resources. But so far it's been worth it for me because it each track requires fewer individual plug-ins to make it sound good. So there is a trade-off.
Old 8th March 2016
To be fair I put several instances on all my busses, I've played more with it and at the moment I'm inclined to say a little goes a long way, I keep the crosstalk at 3% maximum, but the funny thing is I bounced a mix with and without the console shaper and preferred it without the plugin
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
To be fair I put several instances on all my busses, I've played more with it and at the moment I'm inclined to say a little goes a long way, I keep the crosstalk at 3% maximum, but the funny thing is I bounced a mix with and without the console shaper and preferred it without the plugin
There you got YOUR answer
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Well I like it. Gives it a bit of 3-D realism on the master. Guessing the CPU thing can't be helped.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Fantastic DAW, btw. Only been using it a few days and I already can do as much as the others. Takes a giant pooh on the head of the older, established ones, IMO.
Old 7th August 2017
Here for the gear

Its always important to note if you are using the console shaper on a bus or on the master, to use it first before you insert a bunch of plugins across all of the channels. As state in the video, the console shaper is made to get right into the audio engine of Studio one, therefore actually changing how the recorded tracks sound, and from that specific sound, you use your plugins.
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
Fantastic DAW, btw. Only been using it a few days and I already can do as much as the others. Takes a giant pooh on the head of the older, established ones, IMO.
Try to draw a zoom rectangle
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Try to draw a zoom rectangle

What's wrong with drawing a zoom rectangle? I never bothered with that anyway that's what the W and E keys are for and if you are on a Mac other than Logic S1 has the best trackpad implementation of any DAW, so pinch to zoom etc works fine. Can you elaborate on the zoom rectangle thing?
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
What's wrong with drawing a zoom rectangle? I never bothered with that anyway that's what the W and E keys are for and if you are on a Mac other than Logic S1 has the best trackpad implementation of any DAW, so pinch to zoom etc works fine. Can you elaborate on the zoom rectangle thing?
It's simply the best way to define an area to work with. I don't think Studio One can do that.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

It does. It goes more to show that not everyone talking about these products even uses them.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
It does. It goes more to show that not everyone talking about these products even uses them.
Oh really? You couldn't before. Sorry if it's been corrected.
📝 Reply