The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 3.2: Console Shaper Overview!!!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, it was there before the 3.5 update. Shift+Alt is a magnifying glass that allows drawing to zoom.

P.S. I didn't intend the previous comment as snark. That's just how the net goes for all daws, on every update of every daw, some talking about their old gripes without even checking to see they're still there or not. Apologies if you took my observation that way.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear
Studio One rocks
Console Shaper rocks

Pro Tools and Harrison Mix Bus have been completely outclassed by the son they never knew they had. And in Pro Tools case it wasn't without many years of warning (and arrogant AVoID ANTICS)

< that blue guy there is studio one. Yellow guy is slo tools. Yellow cos on death bed but putting on brave smiley face.
Old 13th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hello guys, there is something that I can't explain... When I put some crosstalk on my mixbuss, I hear a delay on my kick... Like if my plug in chain on my drum buss was not compensation delay...
Any idea?
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

Is this automaticity applied to sessions or do you have to go in a apply it to each buss and master?

I don’t like how it sounds personally. I want to be sure it’s off.

Also, how do you even use it? Is it needed on every track or just the master? It sounds terrible so I assume you need to mix into it?
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Is this automaticity applied to sessions or do you have to go in a apply it to each buss and master?

I don’t like how it sounds personally. I want to be sure it’s off.

Also, how do you even use it? Is it needed on every track or just the master? It sounds terrible so I assume you need to mix into it?
You have to enable it on a bus under "Mix FX". All channels routed to that bus are then processed individually at the source.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
You have to enable it on a bus under "Mix FX". All channels routed to that bus are then processed individually at the source.
But what if its on the main out? Does that override everything as a global activate?

And you have to mix into this sound right? I dont see how I can mix then activate shaper and just pick whatever I think sounds good. Im saying that too because it literally sounds terrible when I activate it anywhere. So I might be doing something wrong.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

I use Console 1 so never bothered with the console shaper, but the MixFX feature is very cool, it's just a shame that no devs are doing anything with it.

The only plug I have that can be loaded as a MixFX is Softube's Tape, and it's a really cool feature.
If there are more plugs that can be integrated like this then I'd like to know about it.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
But what if its on the main out? Does that override everything as a global activate?

And you have to mix into this sound right? I dont see how I can mix then activate shaper and just pick whatever I think sounds good. Im saying that too because it literally sounds terrible when I activate it anywhere. So I might be doing something wrong.
If it's on the mix bus then I believe it will be activated for every track that is routed to the mix bus, even if they go through other buses to get there.

The drive seems to be at the start of the individual channels themselves (before inserts) which is definitely interesting but can cause gain-staging chaos for some workflows. For example, let's say you added Console Shaper to an otherwise "perfect" mix.. because the CS drive is before any channel inserts it can completely alter your gain-staging and thus subsequent processing. Carefully dialled-in compressor settings may have to be revisited and so on..

For this reason I would say yes, you should always mix into CS if you plan to use it.. this is important for CS more so than any other console emulation plug-in just by virtue of how it works differently from your standard plug-in.

I would also humbly recommend using low drive settings with CS and not using the noise or cross-talk features at all (unless you are specifically going for a broken console sound)!
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaal Records View Post
Hello guys, there is something that I can't explain... When I put some crosstalk on my mixbuss, I hear a delay on my kick... Like if my plug in chain on my drum buss was not compensation delay...
Any idea?
The cross-talk feature will introduce cross-talk at the track level. That cross-talk will come from all other tracks in the session, even if those tracks are muted in the mix. Because of this **** can get really weird, really fast.

Personally I often have reference or previous mixes in my sessions.. just sitting there muted in case I want to reference them. If I turn on cross-talk in CS those reference mixes will start to bleed into my actual mix!!

Just as a second example: using amplifier simulators in a mix. If I have a guitar DI that's going through an amp simulator plug-in in real-time and I use the cross-talk feature in CS I will start to hear the actual guitar DI sound bleed into the mix. I will also start to get drums, for example, in my guitar DI before the actual amplifier simulator... as I said, **** starts to get weird!

This is where I start to ask "do I actually want to emulate an analogue console in a DAW when I use a DAW so differently to how I use an analogue console?"..
📝 Reply