The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problems with mastering
Old 18th November 2019
Here for the gear

Problems with mastering

Hi all,

I have received several masters for this song (from reputable places). I have tried to do one myself "CORRECT MASTER" using chain below using ozone 9 vintage automatic master. I bounced the song and subsequently did several changes. In the morning i have listened to bounced master and it sounded better than all the other masters I have received (analog feeling suits this song). However, after changes I did after the bounce I am not able to find what I did.

I believe this is the chain I have used - first two modules with very little tweaks

EQ - VINTAGE EQ - DYNAMIC EQ - IMAGER - VINTAGE LIMITER - MAXIMIZER

Can someone please have a listen to the both versions and tell me what could be difference? This is driving me nuts and I wasted hours and hours trying to find the setting I have used.

This one is the original that I like - "CORRECT MASTER" (16bit)

This one is the current one I need to amend: "NEW MASTER" (24bit) I will bounce this one later on today in 16bit as well.

Thank you guys!
Old 18th November 2019
Quote:
I believe this is the chain I have used - first two modules with very little tweaks

EQ - VINTAGE EQ - DYNAMIC EQ - IMAGER - VINTAGE LIMITER - MAXIMIZER
Cant listen, but,
3 EQ's in a row? Sound like you need to go back to the mix and fix what ever deficiencies you have.

Also, if you have to use an Imager in the mastering stage, it can screw with the low end out. So if you have any stereo image problem, you need to fix that in the mixing stage as well.

A mastering chain should be simple, like an EQ, comp and limiter
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Cant listen, but,
3 EQ's in a row? Sound like you need to go back to the mix and fix what ever deficiencies you have.

Also, if you have to use an Imager in the mastering stage, it can screw with the low end out. So if you have any stereo image problem, you need to fix that in the mixing stage as well.

A mastering chain should be simple, like an EQ, comp and limiter
HI there,

first EQ - low end shelf 0,4 db, high cut 0.3 db
VINTAGE EQ - low end boost 0.5 db low cut 0.3db

both very minor, if I remember correctly first EQ might be even less.

In regards to IMAGER - thats very subtle as well and only on highs and upper mids.

Once you get a chance to listen please let me know what is the difference between too.

Thank you mate.
Old 22nd November 2019
Lives for gear

What about "modern" EQ for a little low/mid boost too? Stereo imaging on the highs and upper mids only is pretty essential in itself as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search