The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kicks sitting to forward in the mix
Old 1st October 2019
Here for the gear

Kicks sitting to forward in the mix

For some reason in all my mixes, the kick sits way too forward in the mix. I notice it especially in car sound systems, my kick is way up front and not hitting the subs so everything is in your face.zIts like my mixes are missing an entire demension in the sound field. I got a tip from soundwave the producer not to long ago to user rvox to compress kicks and 808s, but I’m wondering if that’s what the problem may be. Any tips? Sorry for the cheap mp3 but it’s all I had on my phone at the moment. It still displays the issue pretty well though. The vocals are through a guitar amp, so the vocal sound is intentional, please don’t drop comments not pertaining to the thread unless it can help the mix. Thanks!
Attached Files

conundrum_3.mp3 (9.45 MB, 199 views)

Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

First thing I'd try is to reduce the transient. Either with a different attack time on your compressor or on the sample or envelope itself. It just sounds like the 'knock' at the front of the kick is what's put on display here.
Old 1st October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
First thing I'd try is to reduce the transient. Either with a different attack time on your compressor or on the sample or envelope itself. It just sounds like the 'knock' at the front of the kick is what's put on display here.
Does the mix sound off to you?
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Honestly, it doesn't bother me but since you pointed it out I know what you mean. I think if you take a bit of the attack off it will gel a bit better.
Old 11th November 2019
Gear Head

I think the whole drum section sounds too dry. I think boosting higher frequencies in the kick and putting a little high pass filter on it will make it sound better... that combined with raising the level of that bass synth sound... whatever that low end instrument is that carries out the feel and melody. I think hearing more of that sound will help smooth out the kick and they will play better together. That doesn't necessarily mean to boost low end in that bass sound, but at least the volume and likely some of the high frequencies in that bass sound... doing so will pull more grit out to the front, which will in return make the kick not stand by itself as well as sound good. The snare is too low and not enough space in it, a little reverb... How it is now, is pulling my attention way too much to that dry ass snare.... It needs some air and movement to its feel.... maybe a tad bit of sample delay.
Old 11th November 2019
Gear Head

Also, I think the track sounds very creative... would love to hear an updated version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks man, just getting back to this! I really like your feedback. I have a ep I’m working on that I think you’d dig if you liked that track! Let’s connect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search