The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can you tell me if i suck?
Old 24th September 2019
Here for the gear

Can you tell me if i suck?

I am very confused at the moment, I have produced for artists like 50 cent, Copywrite, DephyChyld but since joining online leasing website such as BeatStars and TrakTrain I am struggling to get plays and followers despite constant promotion and making all beats free.

Would any of you be so kind to check my profile and peep the 9 beats I uploaded and tell me if they suck? Maybe I need to change my production style.

In 3 months I gained 2 followers and only got 2 more today totalling 4 and until yesterday I was 91 plays, today has reached almost 200 but no leases or messages.

https://www.beatstars.com/nokturnl/feed

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear

No, you don’t. Maybe repetitive sounding, though. Good mixes, crisp and clear. Dated a bit, but you definitely don’t suck. The drake one tho, that one was a mess to me. Do you promote your page or just upload beats and expect people to find them?
Old 24th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
No, you don’t. Maybe repetitive sounding, though. Good mixes, crisp and clear. Dated a bit, but you definitely don’t suck. The drake one tho, that one was a mess to me. Do you promote your page or just upload beats and expect people to find them?
I promote using BeatStars available Promo section, I use Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, I regularly interact with artists on FB groups with members from 24k to 56k

I use forums, regularly respond to artists posts or tweets, started a YT channel and paid for Online advertising and after doing all that for 2 months, I got 91 plays and 2 followers and 0 downloads or leases.
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokturnlProd View Post
I promote using BeatStars available Promo section, I use Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, I regularly interact with artists on FB groups with members from 24k to 56k

I use forums, regularly respond to artists posts or tweets, started a YT channel and paid for Online advertising and after doing all that for 2 months, I got 91 plays and 2 followers and 0 downloads or leases.
Huh, don’t know what to tell you. Wish I could help. It’s obviously not because you suck, though, you don’t. Even if you did, who would know at 91 plays? Do you have management? Other artists you work with you can send stuff to, etc? That’s generally how I’ve worked rather than use a site like beatstars.
Old 24th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Huh, don’t know what to tell you. Wish I could help. It’s obviously not because you suck, though, you don’t. Even if you did, who would know at 91 plays? Do you have management? Other artists you work with you can send stuff to, etc? That’s generally how I’ve worked rather than use a site like beatstars.
I have a 80% success rate messaging artists directly for beat sales but ideally I would like to lease beats while I sleep LOL the 50 cent track used to keep me going financially but its dead now, need something more regular and long term, I was hoping leasing was the answer.

EDIT : No management
Old 26th September 2019
Here for the gear

Which 50 track did you produce?

Also right off the bat I can see your not catering to a specific crowd which is important. You have Drake type beats, West Coast and Dilla, Gucci etc. To lease beats you need to go after a specific lane. Say someone looking for Drake beats comes to your page - your only gonna have 1 beat that they may like. Same for West Coast fans or Dilla fans. You need to go after a specific crowd that way when you get someone whose looking for that kind of production, you have 20 beats they can choose from instead of just 1. You might think youre gonna benefit from having 50 different styles but it hurts you in the end trust me.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear
That was good. But you need a vocalist to take it to the top.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

I liked track 2 every little bit.

I kinda agree with poster #6 about targetting one genre or artist.

However what would I know.

I got a great track out on Spotify and I do absolutely nothing to promote it.

Marvin Nelson

I want u 4 my girl

Cheers
Old 9th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokturnlProd View Post
I am very confused at the moment, I have produced for artists like 50 cent, Copywrite, DephyChyld but since joining online leasing website such as BeatStars and TrakTrain I am struggling to get plays and followers despite constant promotion and making all beats free.

Would any of you be so kind to check my profile and peep the 9 beats I uploaded and tell me if they suck? Maybe I need to change my production style.

In 3 months I gained 2 followers and only got 2 more today totalling 4 and until yesterday I was 91 plays, today has reached almost 200 but no leases or messages.

https://www.beatstars.com/nokturnl/feed

Thanks in advance.
Not a beatmaker, just an engineer, so I won't comment on the musical ideas.
So, reverbs are too long or too loud, you can easily discenr the reverb from the track, you should mostly use them as a way to put things back or forward and create space, not as an effect.

Sounds are too dark and percussive instruments not punchy enough.

Learn to remove low mid muddiness created by conflicting tracks.
You may need to use EQs for that, or maybe change the length of the notes played by some instruments, also use automation for bringing things up and down in different moments.

You need to master those beats to higher average level, as they are too quiet now and people that don't know much about the technical aspect of making music will just think it's weak.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search