The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Healthy levels.. here's my process, am I doing it wrong?
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Healthy levels.. here's my process, am I doing it wrong?

First real mix I've attempted in a long time..I've always neglected setting proper levels (crazy right?) and just throw stuff on the master to try to glue stuff together..trying to break out of that habit from the ground up. I've researched this for a while and here's the process I came up with.. I could be totally lost and making bad choices which is where this amazing forum comes in. I'd greatly appreciate anyone checking out this mix and giving me feedback on the gain staging and overall level of the mix. **track isn't fully mixed, just leveled and EQ on what needs it.**

This is currently my process -
- I make sure nothing is peaking above -12db before it goes to the mixer. At that point, before I start adjusting levels of all the elements in the track, I turn the master fader all the way up so I end up adjusting things on the quieter side rather than louder.

- With the master fader all the way up, I'm usually peaking around -3db. When I put the master back to default, I'm around -9db.

At final export, usually with Ozone on the master, I peak at about -6db. This is the master I'd upload for artists to preview tracks and what an artist would record on if they're 2 tracking.

Greatly appreciate anyone who takes time to offer insight/feedback.
Attached Files

mix1.mp3 (4.23 MB, 112 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search