The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL Six Mix...
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Head

SSL Six Mix...

Summed this mix through the Six tonight. The G buss compressor is slammed and my ears are fried lol. How would any of y’all use the g buss? I started just with a little, then ended up slamming it. Idk, I’ll try again tomorrow.
Attached Files

Magnum SSL 5.m4a (3.28 MB, 977 views)

Old 21st April 2019
Deleted ae681af
No offense but it sounds like your ears were fried. How loud are you monitoring?
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ae681af View Post
No offense but it sounds like your ears were fried. How loud are you monitoring?
Haha none taken. They were for sure. I was monitoring, going back and forth between medium and low volumes since it was so late. I definitely need better treatment in my room. I think my ears get fatigued and I start over compressing lol. Also just need a lot more practice at mixing.
Old 22nd April 2019
Deleted ae681af
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengee21 View Post
Haha none taken. They were for sure. I was monitoring, going back and forth between medium and low volumes since it was so late. I definitely need better treatment in my room. I think my ears get fatigued and I start over compressing lol. Also just need a lot more practice at mixing.
Have you looked into Sonarworks for your room/headphones? Changed the game for me and many others for sure..
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

It sounds great I dig the vibe.

Quote:
Summed this mix through the Six tonight. The G buss compressor is slammed and my ears are fried lol. How would any of y’all use the g buss? I started just with a little, then ended up slamming it. Idk, I’ll try again tomorrow.
Your track reminds me of a very well missed time in the New York 1990's underground hip hop era. Keep up the music freedom and expression in the arts. Cheers!
PS I'm loving that big drum SSL sound you got going on your kicks.

Last edited by Atak; 23rd April 2019 at 06:08 PM..
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ae681af View Post
Have you looked into Sonarworks for your room/headphones? Changed the game for me and many others for sure..
No I haven’t but I will now! Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
Your track reminds me of a very well missed time in the New York 1990's underground hip hop era. Keep up the music freedom and expression in the arts. Cheers!
PS I'm loving that big drum SSL sound you got going on your kicks.
Thanks! Means a lot! 90s east coast flavor is my biggest influence. Preciate it big time.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Ah, a fellow East Coast boom-bapper, how refreshing!

I have the SiX now and prior to that, I was using the G Compressor on a 4000 console for a couple of years.

The settings on the SiX's G Comp are fixed at 4:1, 30ms attack, 100ms release. With these settings, I won't often use more than 2-4 db of gain reduction. It's really up to you though. There are no rules.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm purchasing mine tomorrow! For the people in here that have a Six, How do you like it and how much has your sound been enhanced?
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikstrange View Post
I'm purchasing mine tomorrow! For the people in here that have a Six, How do you like it and how much has your sound been enhanced?
I love it. I just love having my sounds hit circuitry. I feel more depth and punch definitely. And the two channel strips/pres are lovely. SSL knocked it out
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I agree

Quote:
I love it. I just love having my sounds hit circuitry. I feel more depth and punch definitely. And the two channel strips/pres are lovely. SSL knocked it out
Same here it gives a bigger sound undoubtedly.
It seems to make the sound more solid and more rounded when using the summing feature.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I just sold my Lynx Hilo. While patiently waiting for my Aurora (n) 8 to arrive, I'm using a simple Y-cable from my MacBook into stereo channel 3/4 on the SiX.

Even with the bus compressor bypassed, the SiX gives my 2-track a "bigger" sound. I'm not sure what's going on inside this box but I like it!

Once I get my Aurora (n) and some Mogami cables, I'll post some comparisons!
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
I just sold my Lynx Hilo. While patiently waiting for my Aurora (n) 8 to arrive, I'm using a simple Y-cable from my MacBook into stereo channel 3/4 on the SiX.

Even with the bus compressor bypassed, the SiX gives my 2-track a "bigger" sound. I'm not sure what's going on inside this box but I like it!

Yaaaasssss
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Your almost home

Quote:

It will be quite nice once you use the summing. Keep in mind you only get six inputs through the back of the SSL magomi port. With my apogee Rosetta 800 I get 1-6 I loose 7 and 8. So to recover I use My apogee rosetta 200 2XLR outs and go into the SSL Six input channels 1&2 to recover channels 7 and 8. With this the headroom is much nicer and you can hear a little more separation of the vocals and instruments.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
It will be quite nice once you use the summing. Keep in mind you only get six inputs through the back of the SSL magomi port. With my apogee Rosetta 800 I get 1-6 I loose 7 and 8. So to recover I use My apogee rosetta 200 2XLR outs and go into the SSL Six input channels 1&2 to recover channels 7 and 8. With this the headroom is much nicer and you can hear a little more separation of the vocals and instruments.
Hang on, Mogami is just the name of the brand of cabling I'm using (Mogami Gold). You're probably referring to the DB25 cables and the SSL DB25 port. I'm not actually using straight DB25 cables, I'm using DB25 to TRS, giving me eight 1/4" jacks from the Aurora to go into 8 inputs of the SSL.

So you're saying that a DB25 to DB25 cable will give you 6 inputs if connected straight to the SSL SiX?
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ah, a fellow East Coast boom-bapper, how refreshing!

I have the SiX now and prior to that, I was using the G Compressor on a 4000 console for a couple of years.

The settings on the SiX's G Comp are fixed at 4:1, 30ms attack, 100ms release. With these settings, I won't often use more than 2-4 db of gain reduction. It's really up to you though. There are no rules.
Is not 300ms release time?
Old 24th April 2019
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes Db25 cables

Quote:
Hang on, Mogami is just the name of the brand of cabling I'm using (Mogami Gold). You're probably referring to the DB25 cables and the SSL DB25 port. I'm not actually using straight DB25 cables, I'm using DB25 to TRS, giving me eight 1/4" jacks from the Aurora to go into 8 inputs of the SSL.

So you're saying that a DB25 to DB25 cable will give you 6 inputs if connected straight to the SSL SiX?
Sorry I stand corrected. The SIX only give you 6 inputs through the DB25 cable connector input.
Cheers!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search