The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brauner Phantom Anniversary Edition
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Brauner Phantom Anniversary Edition

I wanted to post this track recorded with the Brauner Phantom Anniversary Edition for reference.

The Brauner Phantom was plugged directly into the Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5017 into the Audient ID22 (bypassing the preamps on the audient).
The Portico 5017 added a richness and the RN sound by my ears.The silk switch on and compressor engaged 2:1 -20. I thought it did a good job at compression. The microphone I found quite sibilant and maybe not good for rap vocals. Though it did cut through the mix by my ears.

I have sold the Brauner to try something different. Something warmer and less sibilant. And narrowed it down to V13 or Aria tube microphone. But am stuck between the two. As both sound good. But I read Aria to be sibilant?

I sold all my gear last year needed a break and refreshment. Im thinking I buy V13 or Aria and keep it simple with Steinberg UR RT2. Or get either of those microphones and go RND 5015 into ID22.

I did a number of recordings last year with the Brauner Phantom into Portico 5017 into ID22. And only just getting around to mixing them now. And after being without the audio for so long and mixing with fresh ears. I thought the Brauner Phantom was actually not bad. But maybe had something to do with going into RND 5017 and silk switch? Or both quality pieces of audio gear?

So this thread is merely to present the recording quality in a spoken word/ rap setting of the above mentioned equipment and microphone.

Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

I will add a soundcoud link to the tracks as I mix them (for reference of the Brauner Phantom).
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear
The mic sounds alright to me. What I’m hearing is a boxyness from poor acoustics. And mixing could be improved.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The mic sounds alright to me. What I’m hearing is a boxyness from poor acoustics. And mixing could be improved.
thank you for the feedback.
I realised I was placing the mic to close to the acoustic panelled walls. so in my new setup I will have the mic more central to the room not in the corner.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search