Why are my mixes/masters coming out so dry
Old 2nd March 2019
Here for the gear

I don't understand why please someone help

Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

could it be that your room has not much/sufficient damping or that you're mixing on headphones?
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear

My room is has foam pannels and accoustic treatment pannels as well but maybe I might need more. Also I mix in both headphones and krk monitors (they are known to be bass heavy.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

i suggest you start asking questions over at the studio building/acoustic forum: a bad mix of material can lead to mixing in an acoustic environment which does not translate well...
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

what exactly do you mean by dry?

for one thing, that track is basically just a simple 4 bar loop that repeats for a couple of minutes, with some chopped up auto-tune vocals at the beginning... i wouldn't really consider it a "song"—i'd go back to some music theory/composition/arrangement basics before even worrying about mastering.
Old 4th March 2019
But this is what the kids love

Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

I agree I'm just practicing to get a great mix and master. Don't mean to make you mad or upset, I'm trying my best to learn off YouTube and spending nights trying to get better. It's hard to get better when you ask a 100 engineers in your area for help but nobody responds in months . Sorry for the sob story just want to put it all in context.
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

Awesome I'll take a look at it rn
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelegacy View Post
Because you aren’t doing anything to make them wet. Are you?
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

Maybe I'm not I put a bunch of reverb on the vocal with delay. I cut the high frequencies so it doesn't cut to harshly in the mix. The actual instrumental loop is leveled except for the bass for effect. But it feels like the voice is getting swallowed even though I did a low pass filter on the 808 I'll try it again maybe
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Ive been going to an old school mixing mate for many years and although he is my friend I wont go again for anything but tracking.

He doesnt add the ear candy. He doesnt use any reverb on tracks and only adds the gloss with the Lexicon 480 xl over the bussing or master.

He doesnt use parallel compression.

These are the elements he should be using.

His music is country and rock whereas mine is pop, hip hop, R&B and soul/ funk.

I saw a video the other day about adding the gloss to invdidual tracks to give it that shine.

This may make more sense.

YouTube

Its all about creative control.

Hence why I wont be going back for a mixdown again.

Cheers
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

I'll take a look into it man
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
He doesnt use any reverb on tracks and only adds the gloss with the Lexicon 480 xl over the bussing or master
I am reluctant to criticize an audio practice without hearing the result, but delay or reverb over the whole track is, at least in my experience, a very unusual practice.
Maybe it’s the “secret sauce” for some engineers and producers, or something accepted in specific genres. My one similar experience was with an executive producer who insisted on adding reverb during mastering to some Canadian LPs when the artists and original producers were not present (or in the country). After helping him screw up two albums (something I regret to this day), I refused to work with him, and the label fired him soon after.
So I would do as you are doing and go elsewhere.
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you. It did seem strange to me to apply reverb on a master bus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search