The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sad Lil Skies Type Beat
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear

Sad Lil Skies Type Beat

Sorry to bother you this my first post, I wanted to know what I can do to spread out the sounds on my beat more, it sounds too "boxed" compared to other beats Im hearing from other people. This is the beat : https://youtu.be/eITQKhfBCEw

What do you guys think ?

I got the kick, bass and other lows as mono, left some of the drums as is (did not touch the stereo/mono knob), melodies about 25-50% stereo, low melodies panned about 25% to the left and high melodies to the right (25-50%), hi-hats are panned 15-20% to the left (I think they sound ok, it's the melodies that bother me).

Both melodies and drums are side chained to the bass (threshold about 20%, ratio 4 to 1)

Bass is EQ at -10DB on the sub frequency band to give more space to the kick
Melodies are EQ to the middle, I got rid of all the sub and only left a little bass, also EQ out the highs (got rid of most of the treble), and at around 1000hz I went -10 DB to create space for an artist's voice

I use Fl studio 20, any suggestions for making the melodies more spread out across the mix ?

Last edited by yousssofly; 23rd May 2020 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: more details
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

I sometimes feel that way too. I had a listen on my ATH-M50 headphones. Would be better if I listened on monitors but don't have them right now. I thought it sounded OK, didn't sound to narrow to me. I could hear a good stereo field. I thought the melodies cut through well but the drums were a bit flat and too quiet. There's no dynamics with them.
But what I sometimes do is use mid - side EQing when I want to enhance the stereo activity. Could try that.
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Valid View Post
I sometimes feel that way too. I had a listen on my ATH-M50 headphones. Would be better if I listened on monitors but don't have them right now. I thought it sounded OK, didn't sound to narrow to me. I could hear a good stereo field. I thought the melodies cut through well but the drums were a bit flat and too quiet. There's no dynamics with them.
But what I sometimes do is use mid - side EQing when I want to enhance the stereo activity. Could try that.
Thank you bro I appreciate your feedback, I will look into mid side EQing like you said, what would you do different with the drums ?
Old 31st May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I have a few ideas but bear in mind some of it might just be my personal taste as I'm not familiar with this type of music!
I think the clap is too quiet and lacks any transients. I'd think about using a different sample. Turn the kick up a little bit.
Could put reverb on the finger snaps and push them to the back of the soundstage.
Also parallel compression, it adds in more life to claps and hats, I love it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear