The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
We Could by Immalaise
Old 21st September 2019
Here for the gear

We Could by Immalaise

Free download
Artist page: https://soundcloud.com/immalaise

Made a song trying to make the lead vocal melody at the beginning sound similar to a guitar melody with the bends and some of the notes. I wanted the chorus to sound powerful with just synth stabs and limited drums. Synths are Serum, Ableton's Operator, Arturia V. The sub in the beginning is made from Ableton's operator with a kick transient and the drums / perc are modified from other various samples.

I didn't know what to do for the cover art so I just wrote the song title on my arm in sharpie like I'm in middle school and then took a picture so the text would pop somewhat.

Any feedback is welcome... the mix is somewhat compressed/ rough around the edges but I had a really fun time making this track and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
If you don't like it or just thought it was eh, or meh I don't mind hearing why either :p
Attached Thumbnails
We Could by Immalaise-img_20190918_031220.jpg  

Last edited by Immalaise; 21st September 2019 at 05:22 PM..
Old 22nd September 2019
Hi,the song is very original,maybe a mix between tropical house & reggaeton,trap,,dont know really.The mix is overcompresed,the highs are hyped,and the reverb is mudding the mix,maybe too much.The song is cool but the mix sounds harsh to my ears.
Old 22nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you for the feedback

Do you have any tips you'd want to share to achieve a cleaner/warmer mix?

I made a duplicate of the song so I can do a few things:

mute the master buss chain, lower compression ratios, dim the highs, shorten the reverb tails/eq reverb.

Is there a mixing/mastering engineer you would recommend?

Also thanks again, really appreciate your feedback and constructive comments, exactly what I want to hear.
Old 22nd September 2019
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immalaise View Post
Thank you for the feedback

Do you have any tips you'd want to share to achieve a cleaner/warmer mix?

I made a duplicate of the song so I can do a few things:

mute the master buss chain, lower compression ratios, dim the highs, shorten the reverb tails/eq reverb.

Is there a mixing/mastering engineer you would recommend?

Also thanks again, really appreciate your feedback and constructive comments, exactly what I want to hear.
Well:
I think it is important that you decide which elements of the song should be in the foreground and which in the background.
As a producer mixing & mastering engineer with more than 20 years of experience, I think it is the most important thing to start.Remember that effects such as panorama, reverberation and delay help us to position each of the sounds in a 3d environment (as if it were a painting). I suggest you start using reverb and delay in this way rather than a so creative way.I would also recommend that you perform the mix at a moderate sound level, and that you promptly increase the volume to make checks, but only in a timely manner.Finally try to take breaks during the mixing, at least 15 minutes every 45 of work.It is not the first time that acoustic fatigue makes a mix sound good while working and the next morning, with fresh ears, the mix seems and sound like a trash.
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the wisdom, I'll think about using reverb/delay with more spacial awareness the next time I mix down the track
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Hi,Immalaise

Your track is so impressive.
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Jpro600k,

Thank you so much
Old 4 weeks ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search