The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Made my first hardware based song
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Addict

Made my first hardware based song

Hi

Used all hardware synths for the first time since I've been dabbling in music. I have hardware but only ever noodled with them due to room limitations. After moving to a new place, I set some of synths up and got serious.

Granted this song only uses the 3 Boutique Synths but I figured I have to start somewhere right?

Just wanted to share this as no one in my real life cares or acknowledges it. Oh well.

Old 30th March 2017
Gear Head

I dig it.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol Mad View Post
I dig it.
Thanks for listening!

Got a ways to go in harnessing my craft but if all else fails, I'll still have my noodles.

Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Dom,

It's not really my genre but it sounds well produced - what synths were you using?

I know what you mean about no-one actually noticing your stuff - I think we live in far too much of a visual world these days. If it doesn't have a flashy YouTube video friends hardly bother.

You could post an undiscovered Beatles song and I suspect the results would be the same. :/
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Hi Dom,

It's not really my genre but it sounds well produced - what synths were you using?

I know what you mean about no-one actually noticing your stuff - I think we live in far too much of a visual world these days. If it doesn't have a flashy YouTube video friends hardly bother.

You could post an undiscovered Beatles song and I suspect the results would be the same. :/
Hi James, thanks for the comment!

For this song, I just stuck with the 3 Roland Boutique Synths

JU-06 - Arpeggiated voices and bells
JX-03 - Bass, Rhythm & Leads
JP-08 - FX

Workflow was intentionally crude. Just recorded straight into Audacity and used some quality free plugins to clean up the sound.

Agree with your comment regarding being noticed. I guess with cheaper and easier to access gear, the Internet has become saturated with music. I'm always on the hunt for good music regardless of whether I know the artist or not. I stay far far away from the pop charts especially what's considered EDM and Trance nowadays.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Made another song (I might as well keep posting my stuff in this thread).

This is primarily software. The only hardware was the Vocoder off my Microkorg XL+

I can't sing worth crap but I wrote some lyrics I wanted to accompany the music so...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 15th May 2017
Gear Addict

Might as well keep adding my stuff to this thread.

For this track, I played around with Heavyocity's Damage. It's a very addicting VST

Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

Been studying more tips on mixing but still lack a good room. Ah well...
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

Good choice of sounds - if as you say your workflow was crude then you picked the right sounds to go together with the minimal of processing. Everything sounds clear and balanced and there's lots of nice warmth in the mix. Very nice vibe too. Vibe wise (even if not musically) it reminds me of some of Ceephax Acid Twin's more ambient stuff, like Cro Magnox.
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
Good choice of sounds - if as you say your workflow was crude then you picked the right sounds to go together with the minimal of processing. Everything sounds clear and balanced and there's lots of nice warmth in the mix. Very nice vibe too. Vibe wise (even if not musically) it reminds me of some of Ceephax Acid Twin's more ambient stuff, like Cro Magnox.
Thank you so much for the comment. I really appreciate the feedback. Glad I'm improving as I continue writing.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

dude these are all well made and sounds all good to me, I think youre making it look easy?!
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenD202 View Post
dude these are all well made and sounds all good to me, I think youre making it look easy?!
Haha, thanks. These have been laborious but I've been learning a lot as I work on them while perusing tutorials to see if I'm doing things right. Trying to cross the threshold and toying with the idea of actually selling my music to earn passive income.

---

I wish I could edit the thread title. I'll be moving soon (again) so most of my hardware is boxed up. Been writing through software the last little while.

Here's my latest. It's a cover / remix.

Old 19th July 2017
Gear Addict

Finished another remix. This time from an old video game called Final Fantasy VI (or III depending on where you live).

Soundcloud is dying but I uploaded it there anyway.

I'm in the process of uploading my music to youtubere. I've been 're-mastering' my old tracks as I've learned many new mixing tips and methods. Also searching for good digital distributors.
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Addict

Back to hardware I go!

Jupiter 80
JP8000
JD990

Inspired by Blade Runner, I made this a month ago. More of an exercise in music writing and not so much mixing lol

PS: If anyone subs to me on my YT channel (either of my channels), I'll sub you right back
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Addict

I wish I could change the thread title...

Anyway

Inspired by the music of Black Mirror. I don't watch a lot of TV but I freaking love that show.
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Addict

I got my first sub on my youtube channel! I don't know who it is. I thought youtube tells you but I guess not. Anyway, here's another song I made a while back but freshened it up with new mixing techniques.
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Addict

An older song I just freshened up. I was too lazy to fix some things but I kept it as is for the most part also to remind myself what to avoid in future productions.
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Addict

Sometimes I remix / cover / re-arrange video game music
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

Utilized Peter Finch as Howard Beale's electrifying speech in the film 'Network' (1976) for this song

Maschine: Drums, Perc, Hits
Jupiter 80: Everything else
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Addict

Sometimes I take old poems I wrote throughout my life and convert them to song structure. The result is this ^

I can't sing at all so I used the vocoder off my Microkorg XL+

Hope you enjoy
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

I really like this, nice spacey galactic vibes
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopanic View Post
I really like this, nice spacey galactic vibes
Thanks for the comment. Sorry about my hilariously delayed response.

---

Been super busy with work so haven't been music making much. I've gone back to older tracks I made and cleaned them up a little bit after learning more about mixing. Still learning as I go.

I've been pulling tracks I want to compile into an album for release.

This is one of them.

Old 21st May 2018
Gear Addict

Used to the play this game a lot as kid when it was new. Decided to write a remix for THE most memorable track of the game.

Chill laid back vibe.
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Addict

A live performance of a song I enjoyed listening to.

I used it to showoff the Reverb & Delay pedals I picked up recently. They are fantastic by the way!
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Addict

Uggh, been super busy in real life so most of my original music is still on the shelf as most of them are still incomplete.

So to keep myself 'in the music world', I just continue to cover / arrange existing music. It's still fun and keeps me sane.

This song is from a lesser known anime called 'Kaiba'. I'm a very casual anime watcher and only gravitate towards the ones with dark storylines and powerful soundtracks. Mostly the latter because powerful soundtracks give me inspiration to cover them and (eventually) continue with my original music.
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Addict

Well I decided to upload an original song I wrote for once. This will be on my album which is currently in vapourware status.

I figured this would be a good Track 01 type song. I know nothing of mastering so I thought I'd wing it.

Hope you like!
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Addict

Loved this song when it plays through the game as well as on its own. Decided to play it and added my own touches. Hope I pleased Clint Mansell & Sam Hulick.

Too bad Mass Effect went in a weird direction with Andromeda but oh well.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Addict

Wrote this song about 4 years ago. Thought it was terrible. Randomly remembered it last week and thought I'd clean it up and upload it.

It wasn't doing anything useful buried in My Documents folder anyway
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Addict

A re-arrange / special remix I did a while back. Lived in my documents folder for a couple of years. Figured why not upload.
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Addict

The sun and clouds were sparring while I was recording this a couple of shots look out of place. Ehh, such is nature.

Not my song. I just wrote in a couple of piano parts and the entire string / pad sections and then played it out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search