The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Redux: Assault on Precinct 13 Main Theme (Carpenter)
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

Redux: Assault on Precinct 13 Main Theme (Carpenter)

Completely rebuilt from scratch as an educational exercise. Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Updated with new bass and mastering:
Old 18th September 2014
Gear Maniac

This was cool! In the beginning, I felt like the bass was a bit off time. It seemed to be consistently late by a little bit. After the strings came in, I didn't notice it. Also I feel like the decay/release time on the bass is a bit short.

What synths did you use?
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

The bass was intentionally unpolished as it suited the character of the original, I tried it more quantized and it felt hmm, dry. Ah you confirmed my hunch about the decay time! Haha thanks for the listen and the feedback. I may redo the bass now...
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

As for synths, everything except the percussion was done on the radikal accelerator. Percussion was done using enveloped white noise in drumsynth live (an fl studio plugin). A lot of the character comes from antress' modern vaccuumer, the ferric tds tape saturator VST and I used the tc 5000 wood room/hall impulses in fl studio's convolver reverb. Also huge shout out to the TDR feedback compressor ii - loooove it.
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

i like the natural "played" feel of the bass - i just think the synth patch could use a few adjustments. its got a strange hollowness to the saturation or distortion that when exposed at the beginning sounds a little "cheap" so to speak, it doesnt have the harmonic density of the original i guess is the best way to describe what im tryin to say.
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingrobot View Post
i like the natural "played" feel of the bass - i just think the synth patch could use a few adjustments. its got a strange hollowness to the saturation or distortion that when exposed at the beginning sounds a little "cheap" so to speak, it doesnt have the harmonic density of the original i guess is the best way to describe what im tryin to say.
That's great feedback, I'm going to play with the patch tonight, thanks!
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

I have an updated version up:
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

yeah! i think that patch is way closer - but most importantly it feels heavier & more dense, which i think is a bit more pleasing as a sound. thumbs up emoticon
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Yep it had mostly to do with the decay times on the envelopes, thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search