The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First officially "mastered" track
Old 18th October 2013
First officially "mastered" track

Hey all.

This is the first track I've had [officially] mastered [by someone else].

I think it's sounding alright, but let me know what you think.

Peace!
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

At what levels are you mixing this in your speakers? Also, might be clipping somewhere, it's kinda loud.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

i feel like you might have gotten ripped off if you payed for this. sounds like the dude just over compressed and squashed your track with a limiter. Also seems to be lacking some punch. I would ask the guy to do another take on the master if i were you
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Is this the entire song?
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brento View Post
Is this the entire song?
No, it's a preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgstevens View Post
i feel like you might have gotten ripped off if you payed for this. sounds like the dude just over compressed and squashed your track with a limiter. Also seems to be lacking some punch. I would ask the guy to do another take on the master if i were you
It's the "free mastering preview" they sent me. Maybe that explains the loss in quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
At what levels are you mixing this in your speakers? Also, might be clipping somewhere, it's kinda loud.
I normally try to mix at around 80 dB
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

To be honest, I don't think you want to master this song. Although I cannot judge the entire track, I don't think it really has much going for it from what I have heard. It sounds like a sketch... like you are learning music production, want to get tracks out there, but you may not be ready.

I think it would be better for you to spend your time & money on learning more about music production. Join Groove3.com or get some new plug ins. Learn a synth inside and out. More importantly, learn about song structure...

Once you have created a track that sounds amazing unmastered, just think how great it will be when it gets mastered.

Sorry to comment on the actual song itself, but I'm just trying to save you a few bucks that you may regret having spent later... Also, I don't know your productions or track itself well at all... just from what I heard, is where my comment is coming from!
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think you want to master this song. Although I cannot judge the entire track, I don't think it really has much going for it from what I have heard. It sounds like a sketch... like you are learning music production, want to get tracks out there, but you may not be ready.

I think it would be better for you to spend your time & money on learning more about music production. Join Groove3.com or get some new plug ins. Learn a synth inside and out. More importantly, learn about song structure...

Once you have created a track that sounds amazing unmastered, just think how great it will be when it gets mastered.

Sorry to comment on the actual song itself, but I'm just trying to save you a few bucks that you may regret having spent later... Also, I don't know your productions or track itself well at all... just from what I heard, is where my comment is coming from!
Thanks for commenting. I will try to glean something from that.

I'm 17 years old, I'm trying my best to make the best sounding music that I know how.

Can I do anything else?

How does one simply "make music better" if not by experience?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this the entire song?
It's not a song....it has no singing.
It's just a "track" of music. For something to be a "song" it requires vocal.
As far as the "mastering" there's not a whole lot going on there to master.
I didn't think it was too loud or heard any clipping at least not in the portion I heard.
The mixing even for two instruments is a bit off. Drums were a little light weight and subdued and the bass synth part is pretty dominant. I detect a bit of off-timing between the two parts but that might have been your intention..
Just as a heads up and to reiterate what Brento mentioned....
Spending money to "master" (and I'm using this term very lightly) on a music track is really a waste of your money.
Mastering is the process of taking multiple songs or music compositions being put together as a whole (album, EP etc.) and assembled as an entire product and body of work for sale. It's the process of tweaking and leveling each song or music piece evenly to one another and adjusting the overall content sound and feel of the entire thing. Things like timing between tracks and making an album flow from track to track. That's mastering. Maing something louder can be done in any mix.
This nonsense belief that a lot of people seem to have or think (I founf this from mostly young people) is that "mastering" is some sort of deal you do to finish a beat or droning music rhythm part and all you do is use some compressor or a limiter and brighten up the high end, make it louder or something like that is so absolutely ridiculous.
That's not what true mastering and it's process is all about at all. And maybe your not being told the truth on this and just getting hyped into spending money on it...again ridiculous nonsense.
So please keep that in mind when you're thinking of plunking down your dough. You already have enough money grubbers ou there trying to hype you and take your money....so stop.
Mix, mix, mix....blend, form a sound, put some vocals in it and make it a song not just a droning dirge with a "drop" in the middle. Anybody can do that and it's not a song...it's like taking paint and throwing it a canvas and calling it a painting....well yeah technically speaking, but not really...
Make 12 amazing songs that have some feeling and emotion in them....then put them all together as an album/EP with a theme. Then take it to mastering engineer who will do the "mastering" with suggestions for you on how to refined tonal tweaks and balance and laying out each song in a coherent sequence that creates a musical piece of enjoyment for other humans to listen to and get into...save your money!
Old 23rd October 2013
Wow. Just wow.

So far, I've got:
1. My track isn't even entitled to be called a "song"
2. It's too ****ty to master anyway
3. I'm an idiot relating to production (something I'm going to school for)

Anything else?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Hard day eh!!!

Don't get too run down, first up, the "song" thing, It's not really a song, i'd agree with them on that. It could be a song. At the minute it's more like a backing track. A track waiting for someone to add vocals. You could leave it as an instrumental but then you wouldn't really term it as a "song".

I can hear this as an alternative pop style track with the right vocal.

The song structure, I like. The right vocal would work over the structure you have laid down.

I wouldn't bother paying mastering yet, they just want your money. Now if you were only paying them tiny fees and they were giving you good feedback to help you improve your mix, if they were interested in seeing, helping you grow as a producer, keeping them involved might be a good thing. The more people involved in any of your projects the better. It equals more exposure for yourself in the future as others are exposing themselves.

The lil build up and what follows is quite interesting. Again the right vocal would make this work. I can imagine the song being quite quirky if used by the right band or front man.

The kick does lack punch, the sounds are quite low fi, the snare especially cheap but that can all be part of the formula to go with said band or front man. We're talking like La Roux, Example, someone a lil bit weird not your generic norm. I can't really think of the artist/singer/bands right now.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdshaffer95 View Post
Wow. Just wow.

So far, I've got:

Anything else?
You need a thick skin, if you want to post music for the public to hear. Even if someone like Aphex Twin was posting here there still would be people telling him his music is no good, as tastes can differ quite a bit.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
You need a thick skin, if you want to post music for the public to hear. Even if someone like Aphex Twin was posting here there still would be people telling him his music is no good, as tastes can differ quite a bit.
Noted.

However, I asked for opinions on the track...not advice on how to spend my money...and if it qualified as a "song" or not...and how mastering isn't "making it loud" (something I never said it was), but it's "sequencing of an album".....

You guys are going all ADHD

All the more reason not to post here I guess?
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Noted.

However, I asked for opinions on the track...not advice on how to spend my money...and if it qualified as a "song" or not...and how mastering isn't "making it loud" (something I never said it was), but it's "sequencing of an album".....

You guys are going all ADHD

All the more reason not to post here I guess?
Man this is what is bound to happen if you post anything online. You have to be able to take the criticism no matter how great or small.

I'm guessing you want to be a popular producer, right? You're gonna need to be able to take the crap people dish out. Because in all honesty if you plan to make a living off of this you need to be able to DELIVER. You can't go sending tracks out that aren't up to at a bare minimum, a standard level of excellence. You need to strive to be the best you can.

That being said, some comments you need to take a grain of salt.

However, you did ask for opinions on your track and people gave them. My advice would be to seriously work on your song structure and sound creation. Within the first few seconds of listening to a track, you need to be able to capture the listener. And honestly you didn't capture me.

Don't take this the wrong way man. I was in the same place as you just a few years ago. I'm only 19 now. I'm still learning everyday. It has been a long road for me and I'm sure it is going to get even longer. Just keep absorbing info and applying it to your production. Do this, and you'll be in a good spot buddy.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

You're lucky you got comments. I, when in my early eager to be noticed days, used to post tracks which mainly got ignored, completely ignored!
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgstevens View Post
Within the first few seconds of listening to a track, you need to be able to capture the listener. And honestly you didn't capture me.
That would make nearly every house, dance, track an instant flop. Although your point is right but not always the case, depends on genre.
Old 24th October 2013
I won't "capture" everyone's attention, if it's just not their cup of tea.
And I'm OK with that.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
That would make nearly every house, dance, track an instant flop. Although your point is right but not always the case, depends on genre.
True. But still every genre has a certain group of listeners who like that specific type of music. Just depends on who you're trying to target. If that was the case people like Calvin Harris, Hardwell, and Deadmau5 wouldn't be making millions.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I won't "capture" everyone's attention, if it's just not their cup of tea.
And I'm OK with that.
I understand this. However there should be some level of catchiness or a hook that should be present in a song.

That being said, I hope you don't take my advice as me trying to bring you down. I'm just trying to help you out.
If you don't want to accept my advice then turn a deaf ear.

But remember this, there a thousand other kids in the same situation as you. What will YOU do to stand our from the crowd?

Cheers
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

So far, I've got:

Anything else?
Sorry Jd, I just thought I'd point out some things out here in the real world that seemed to me to perhaps be an education to you. After all your 17. I'm not.
If it came across as condescending well sometimes that's how one takes it, whether it's real criticism or not. The very nature of a public internet forum like this one is not an in-person conversation and many times tends to come across that way. It's all random and public anyway...it's all nonsense!

Things just don't always translate that well with text. There's no emotional cues for you to work with. You just read comments with no personal reference, and you end up adding in your own emotions and feelings to it...happens all the time. So seriously take anything with a grain of salt.
It's your deal and if it makes you happy and it's not illegal...do what you do!

If you actually knew me and we had a talk about this on a personal level you would have probably taken my comments differently.
After all I have nothing to gain in lying to you or giving you bad advice about your music. I'm just relaying you my thoughts.
I listened to your track all the way through and those were the opinions I had about it....good or bad or indifferent...
Everything I said was either to clarify some misinformation I had read from other posters or trying to help you.
Just to be clear:
The "song" comment was actually to Brento just as a clarification with maybe a bit of sarcasm, but I agreed with pretty much everything he/she said.
The comment I made about the sound levels or "to loud" were directed more at Godspeed and Bgstevens and really somewhat in defense of your track which just for the record was fine except for what I had mentioned about the mix. I sort of agree with Godspeed that you may have gotten ripped off if you had spent any money on this "mastering".
But hey good luck with your music and be careful with these "mastering" people out there....spend your money on yourself rather than being snookered into promises of magic beans...!

Listen to my music and rip it apart if you like!....there not "mastered"
https://soundcloud.com/doonaloon

Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

sounds cool what loop pack(s) did you use
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Sorry Jd, I just thought I'd point out some things out here in the real world that seemed to me to perhaps be an education to you. After all your 17. I'm not.
If it came across as condescending well sometimes that's how one takes it, whether it's real criticism or not. The very nature of a public internet forum like this one is not an in-person conversation and many times tends to come across that way. It's all random and public anyway...it's all nonsense!

Things just don't always translate that well with text. There's no emotional cues for you to work with. You just read comments with no personal reference, and you end up adding in your own emotions and feelings to it...happens all the time. So seriously take anything with a grain of salt.
It's your deal and if it makes you happy and it's not illegal...do what you do!

If you actually knew me and we had a talk about this on a personal level you would have probably taken my comments differently.
After all I have nothing to gain in lying to you or giving you bad advice about your music. I'm just relaying you my thoughts.
I listened to your track all the way through and those were the opinions I had about it....good or bad or indifferent...
Everything I said was either to clarify some misinformation I had read from other posters or trying to help you.
Just to be clear:
The "song" comment was actually to Brento just as a clarification with maybe a bit of sarcasm, but I agreed with pretty much everything he/she said.
The comment I made about the sound levels or "to loud" were directed more at Godspeed and Bgstevens and really somewhat in defense of your track which just for the record was fine except for what I had mentioned about the mix. I sort of agree with Godspeed that you may have gotten ripped off if you had spent any money on this "mastering".
But hey good luck with your music and be careful with these "mastering" people out there....spend your money on yourself rather than being snookered into promises of magic beans...!

Listen to my music and rip it apart if you like!....there not "mastered"
https://soundcloud.com/doonaloon

Thanks man. I always try to be open minded, so I'll definitely spend some time thinking about all the advice you all have given me.

I realize the Internet doesn't transmit the non-verbal stuff and I apologize about reading into all of your comments too much. It's not worth getting stressed about criticism, just because it sounds condescending. As you said, you didn't mean it that way.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post what you think.

I'm sorry for exploding a little, I was feeling a little overwhelmed.

But sincerely thank you all for posting. I'll take all of this advice into consideration down the road in my production.

J
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
sounds cool what loop pack(s) did you use
Iseewhatyoudidthere.

I actually didn't use any "loop" packs. Sylenth1 was for the main synth, drum samples from Ableton. Compressed the kick quite a bit to get it to that "deadmau5" level...but that did contribute to it's loss of punch

On a side note, I've noticed that the lead synths I create in Sylenth tend to be a little thin-sounding...I'll have to remember to layer subs and other basses under it.
Old 25th October 2013
Just to clarify, I spent all of $34 dollars getting this track mastered from an online vendor, sageaudio.com

Maybe anyone has dealt with them before?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

Hey, how about you stem the track, rap it up in a zip and let others have a play with it. I'd be interested in having a play if I get some time in next week. Include the midi file, any synth patches you used (i use sylenth too) and the FX samples etc separate from the stems.

To be honest i actually like the track and would love to hear it in full.

I've got some amazing sylenth patches I could send your way, if your interested.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for commenting. I will try to glean something from that.

I'm 17 years old, I'm trying my best to make the best sounding music that I know how.

Can I do anything else?

How does one simply "make music better" if not by experience?
At age 17 you are doing great. If I sent you tracks I made at age 19 they would pale in comparison. Back then I'd be emotional whenever someone criticized my work. But the best thing that I had were some very good, but very honest, mentors. Over time my sounds became better, tracks improved, etc. I was about to spend some money on mastering as you were going to, but I decided to wait. Glad I did, as I learned a lot about mixing and mastering... and wow... does learning how to mix a track ever help... And mastering just adds that polish.

I get that you are "trying to make the best music" you can. That's awesome. Just keep doing it. You're totally on the right path and I didn't mean to derail your efforts or make you feel bad. You'll gain a lot of great experience. Don't expect lightning fast results and be patient with yourself. Expect to get frustrated... Music production is not easy. A lot goes into it.

Anyways if you just keep applying yourself you'll do really well. I seriously wish I started music production at age 17 with all the awesome tools available now. You'd laugh in pity if you saw what I once used... impulse tracker on a dos computer. Ahhh, but the memories were great.

Now I promise I don't work for them, but Groove3.com is pretty sweet. It teaches you a whole lot... Music theory, compression, mixing EDM, mastering with T-racks (applicable to other software)... tons more... In the long run it would be good for you, I think. And if groove3 isn't your thing there's a few other great online tutorial sites. Even Youtube. But really, just keep doing what you're doing. Watch tutorials, learn, get your hands dirty, produce your own tracks, get feedback, feel ****ty, feel better when making improvements, back to the tutorials, listen critically to your fave EDM artist, try to emulate that... Etc.

And finally... Never pay to have a track mastered unless you, yourself, would buy that track with your hard earned cash if some random person you didn't k ow created it. Remove any bias, and think to yourself... "Would I buy that track?" If not, try again! Eventually you'll get there. At age 17 you have a long, long, looooong time to get there!
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
Hey, how about you stem the track, rap it up in a zip and let others have a play with it. I'd be interested in having a play if I get some time in next week. Include the midi file, any synth patches you used (i use sylenth too) and the FX samples etc separate from the stems.

To be honest i actually like the track and would love to hear it in full.

I've got some amazing sylenth patches I could send your way, if your interested.
That sounds to complicated for me

I'll let you know when the full track is up on SC (and you'll know because you're following me)

You can totally remix it or whatever if you want if you like it that much. Just link to me in the description
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Some good advice for you.

If it sounds too complicated, i suggest you learn it, Lol!

Even if just simple stemming. At some point if you want success you will be doing it or have someone doing it for you.

Nearly every song you hear has the stems played with by other engineers.

I wouldn't be able to remix the track just off the master, I simply don't have the skill, lol!
Old 28th October 2013
I know how to, more like I'm too lazy to right now.

Plus I don't feel like giving away presets, and I've never had good success with sending stems via email. :
Old 28th October 2013
(Full track is up now by the way)
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Sharing you're presets, lol! Shame because these presets i have for sylenth are the best available. Would of been a good trade for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search