The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dream pop / Synth pop
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dream pop / Synth pop

I'm surely one of the few people here who don't use their synthesizers for EDM.

My style can be described as dream pop / synth pop / alternative pop, gets often associated with the 80s.

Here I try to sing in falsetto in the chorus, I am not a great singer, but I also decided not to care anymore. That's why I also avoid autotune, Melodyne or so. I declared my vocals - the way they are - as part of my art.

Feedback on the mixing very welcome, I might rerecord this song eventually.

Prominent instruments in this are Mono Lancet, NI The Giant, Reaktor (Monark, Eminent V310 String Ensemble, ZS 2000). Drum sounds by Arturia SparkLE.

Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Nice song. I like the vocal rhythm/melody hooks in the chorus but the music is not supporting them enough IMO. Maybe try a few bright twinkling notes to give the chorus a brighter sound and fuller/more energetic/chorus feel?

Your vocals delivery kind of reminds me of Dinosaur Jr. Maybe there's something to be learned by listening to the mixing on his stuff? Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been (Full Album) 1993 - YouTube
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Cool track, I like this a lot. Really nice melodies and production.
I also think that the chorus could be built up a bit for more impact. It's a great hook/melody there that should really stand out. The falsetto works well but I would also add a vocal an octave down to fill it out a bit (with effects)
Anyway, just an idea.
Great work.
I agree it's good to hear something a bit different here, a good pop song with vocals.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you! :-)

I agree, I often find myself having mixed the vocals too loud and losing a lot of the initial instruments sound. Hope my new monitors (will be my next purchase) will also help me doing better mixes
Will keep your suggestions in mind for the case I do a re-recording or mixing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search