The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kimbra Warrior Remix
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Nut

Kimbra Warrior Remix

Hey guys, this is my attempt to remix Warrior by Mark Foster, A-Trak and Kimbra. It was supposed to be submitted for the Indaba music competition but it was US only so I decided to slow down the production. I've been tweaking the drums recently, still doesn't feel right and is definitely not finished, hence the ending but I feel it's in need of a crazy drop.

Let me know what you think. I would love comments about the mixing, levelling etc as I'm still an amateur.

Thanks,

Omzz
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I like it. Nice sparse sound. I wonder what synth & piano you are using on this. Levels sound about right to me, synth is fighting the vocal just a little in some spots. Kick could use compression IMO.
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastArray View Post
I like it. Nice sparse sound. I wonder what synth & piano you are using on this. Levels sound about right to me, synth is fighting the vocal just a little in some spots. Kick could use compression IMO.
Thanks. A both the piano and main synth were sampled from the original song. Main synth was chopped up and then I arranged it accordingly. The synths at the end were a mixture of Sylenth1 and Malstrom in Reason. I've altered the drums a little with more distortion and compression. It's been replaced over the old Soundcloud link. Let me know what you think with the new mix
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Kick sounds better, maybe shorten it a bit. Hats sound too dry/present.

I'd cut the synth when the vocal comes back after the bridge, then drop bass as she says "Head" and exchange the sidechained synth for some simple dense power chords EQ'd under the vocal, bring back the glitchy synth blips to augment it between vocal phrases, then cut the music before the last "trust your head".
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastArray View Post
Kick sounds better, maybe shorten it a bit. Hats sound too dry/present.

I'd cut the synth when the vocal comes back after the bridge, then drop bass as she says "Head" and exchange the sidechained synth for some simple dense power chords EQ'd under the vocal, bring back the glitchy synth blips to augment it between vocal phrases, then cut the music before the last "trust your head".
Hey man, thanks for your reply. I've been really busy with school work so haven't done much to it. I've tweaked the kick and snare a little more, added and taken away a few things here and there. Ultimately, I'm going to add a bassline, probably a sub bass with a little synth bass ontop of it just to bring it out and replace the sidechain synth but that's for another day.

I hate using Soundcloud because it really downgrades the quality. But here is the edited version.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search