The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ANOTHER TRIBUTE TO 80S POP!!! came out well!!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

ANOTHER TRIBUTE TO 80S POP!!! came out well!!!

here is another tribute i made to 1980s synth pop. bass is dx7, pads lead and brass are prophet 5. drums are linndrum of course. percussion effects are prophet 5. listen for the 80s solo at the end!
Attached Files

1983.mp3 (3.23 MB, 313 views)

Old 18th September 2011
m.o
Lives for gear

Sweet, sounds just right to me!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

VERY 80's!! This reminds me of something that would play at a key point in an 80's flick. MONTAGE!! Love the drums. Toms in particular, and the chack chack!

nicely done sir!

frank
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks!!!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

The chack chack is a secret, I've been searching forever for that elusive sound you hear in so many 80s songs. Now I've got it. Hint it's not the linndrum.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great job! This sort of thing is my bag, baybee heh

What do you guys mean by "chack chack"? Do you mean the percussive "clap clap" percussion effects that come in every now and then? In which case, did you say you used the Prophet for that?

If not, spill the beans!!

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes it sounds like a clap but it is really white noise modified to sound like a synare 3. example Bette Davis eyes and little red corvette. It is the prophet 5 !

Btw what's your favorite synth of all time? And how could you not own a prophet 5 mr synthmania?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Yes it sounds like a clap but it is really white noise modified to sound like a synare 3. example Bette Davis eyes and little red corvette. It is the prophet 5 !

Btw what's your favorite synth of all time? And how could you not own a prophet 5 mr synthmania?
Nice one... I'd love to get a Synare ... but I just won a Simmons SDSV and should receive it soon..., so I finally have my holy grail as far as analog percussion is concerned...

My favorite synth of all time is the Roland D-50, for sentimental reasons.. (it was the first "pro" synth I bought back in the late '80s) - I did have a Prophet-5, but sold it to invest in something else ... however I'm in the process of getting another one for my secret sample collection project heh But, I'm looking for a Ver.2... I had a 3.2 which I should not have sold ... as it sounded great and I had even installed MIDI on it
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool track. All it needs is vocals by Irene Cara and it's complete.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

you got a really great sound out of that dx!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Wow that sounds great!! I like the lead which kicks in at 0:15 very much. How do you make that? I hear it in so many 80's songs but I can't remake it.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Brass lead is prophet 5 synth brass layered two octaves apart I used midi so the timing is perfect. My p5 has factory midi. Then put a delay on it. Popular technique from the 80s. Listen to my lead at the end it's even better!
Old 19th September 2011
all it needs are some vocals and this is golden

loved the solo at the end!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

love this! It was worth every pennie you spent on these magical boxes..
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Man did you nail that one... great tune by the way.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks guys glad to hear the feedback! mixing and processing those drums was a PITA! shame this syle of music is dead and this will no nowhere.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I still buy this sort of thing! Plenty of bands have retro feels in pop and try to get these sounds. Getting the right act could make it... There is a fantastic Norwegian pop group called Nixon (iTunes) with album called uberpop. Love it

Tell us more about mixing the drums
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your answer, I already made many similar patches, but what was missing was the chorus effect. I added a lot of chorus and some Pingpong delay and voilà, here it was.

Again thanks for uploading you're song, I like listening to that piece again and again, it is that 80's retro feeling which I love and would like to achieve in my songs. Pity that this genre died...

Here my fake version of your lead sound, i would like to here your'e opinion if I came close to that 80's touch in your lead:
Attached Files

80's Brass Lead.mp3 (317.5 KB, 113 views)

Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thats the sound! make sure u sing the pong pong delay with midi clock. I didn't use chorus I equed and blended the two tracks but your sound is dead on what synth did you use? Btw on the drum mixing I made sure to use individual outs on the linn. Hihats on left shaker on right, toms panned left to right. Then eq , reverb and compress.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

I used my Andy . I used the Andromeda-chorus on maximum so it did that squelchy thing and didn't EQ a lot (I only boosted the Highs a bit). The pingpong-delay comes from the mixer. That's why I couldn't record it trough my soundcard (because of cables issue etc) and it sounds a bit harsh. Direct out of the Andromeda it sounds more organic, but the nice feeling of the sound you can hear also out of the recording.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search