The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
one of my first originals - slow house/boogie track Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

one of my first originals - slow house/boogie track

I'm typically much more of a re-edit kinda guy but have in the last few months started trying to produce originals. So far, this is the first track that I'd consider somewhat complete so there's probably quite a bit to rip into :P Would love to get any input on any part of this production (arrangement, composition, mix, whatever) from ya guys! Was done entirely in Live with software synths - Tyrell N6, Operator and Synth1.

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
so there's probably quite a bit to rip into :P

... Personally, I feel the music is too safe, develops too slowly, and has an insufficient amount of fils/respite.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
... Personally, I feel the music is too safe, develops too slowly, and has an insufficient amount of fils/respite.
Appreciate the input Simonator! Quick question -- when you say insufficient amount of fils/respite are ya suggesting adding more interesting fills and noticeable respite before phrase changes (for example)? Do ya have any other suggestions as to what would make the track keep your attention a bit better given the arrangement? Maybe an additional layer of evolving sounds or is it mostly a motif thing?

Thanks again!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate the input Simonator! Quick question -- when you say insufficient amount of fils/respite are ya suggesting adding more interesting fills and noticeable respite before phrase changes (for example)? Do ya have any other suggestions as to what would make the track keep your attention a bit better given the arrangement? Maybe an additional layer of evolving sounds or is it mostly a motif thing?

Thanks again!
I just found it a bit incessant... being pounded over & over by that same (extremely consonant) hook. It was like being tied to a chair whilst a Jehovah's witness told me over & over about much they love god.

Personally, I think you should trim 4 minutes off the length; make what you have develop MUCH faster, and add in a few drop outs where you take the hook away for a bar or two.

You've got some nice elements in there; pad is cool. It's all way too drawn out at the moment though.
Old 15th September 2011
I agree with Simonator. The track is nice, very lovely. But not "hurting". It doesn't have to be something aggressiv.

Some ideas:
You might take different instruments for the different melodies.

Small changes and varations to break up softly the monotony. Could be done thru sound/filter changes.

Turn down the filter eg on the bass, keep it low and the same and play with all the other and new elements. I think this way you can give the track a driving basis. But maybe that's just me, because I don't like electronic basses soloing very much

The percussion sounded like a demo. You may try to work on the percussions, so they sound new fresh different. Throw in some special samples.

Also some effect sounds, winds, wooshes, etc. could spice the track up.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Appreciate the thorough feedback deft, also very helpful! Hopefully a few subtle changes (fills, slight pattern variations at phrase changes) can go a decent way here to making the track come alive a little bit more. Also seems advisable to revisit the length, maybe cut down on the intro a bit and introduce elements faster.

I can appreciate what you're saying about the percussion, it is hand-programmed but will definitely take note that it came off as otherwise. Do you think it's more a matter of sound selection there or do you think the groove itself is a bit too stale? I tried spicing things up a little bit with the finger snaps and occasional wood blocks but that might not have been enough.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
I can appreciate what you're saying about the percussion, it is hand-programmed but will definitely take note that it came off as otherwise. Do you think it's more a matter of sound selection there or do you think the groove itself is a bit too stale? I tried spicing things up a little bit with the finger snaps and occasional wood blocks but that might not have been enough.

Thanks again for your input!
You're welcome.

It's not the groove, it's the sound. They sound just nice and polite to me. Maybe swap the sounds or work with EQ, compression and/or effects.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search