The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my first track! thoughts appreciated. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th September 2011

my first track! thoughts appreciated.

this is the start of my first track I'm finishing off. i have no idea on mixing. thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Files

my first track.mp3 (1.53 MB, 245 views)

Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

I wouldn't finish it.

It lacks structure; it doesn't have a direction. It does not progress or evolve.

It lacks a feeling of space - every sound is completely dry.

Furthermore, it makes a good case for why music theory is important.

The drums sound a bit plasticky, but that's fixable. The melody isn't - while what happens at 1:10 has potential in a sense - as in, solve a lot of the other issues with the track and replace various sounds - the rest doesn't. It ends awfully abruptly at 1:20 - if you post unfinished work, add fades and cut out the build-up/breakdowns, if it's finished, it's awfully short.

Sorry to dash your firstborn against the rocks.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I wouldn't finish it.

It lacks structure; it doesn't have a direction. It does not progress or evolve.

It lacks a feeling of space - every sound is completely dry.

Furthermore, it makes a good case for why music theory is important.

The drums sound a bit plasticky, but that's fixable. The melody isn't - while what happens at 1:10 has potential in a sense - as in, solve a lot of the other issues with the track and replace various sounds - the rest doesn't. It ends awfully abruptly at 1:20 - if you post unfinished work, add fades and cut out the build-up/breakdowns, if it's finished, it's awfully short.

Sorry to dash your firstborn against the rocks.
no its a 3 minute track but thats the basis of it, the verse melody and then the chorus melody starting at around 50 seconds.

never heard of drums sounding plastic before.

there are only drums and bass for the first 50 seconds so not sure what you mean by it lacking space, or the sounds being dry.

yes i have no knowledge of music theory. going to get piano lessons. its mor about learning what sounds together e.g. harmony melody than actually learning how to play a piano.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
no its a 3 minute track but thats the basis of it, the verse melody and then the chorus melody starting at around 50 seconds.

there are only drums and bass for the first 50 seconds so not sure what you mean by it lacking space, or the sounds being dry.

yes i have no knowledge of music theory. going to get piano lessons. its mor about learning what sounds together e.g. harmony melody than actually learning how to play a piano.
This really isn't the appropriate time to argue with someone who has a thousand times the experience you do that offers you constructive, non-mean and most of all TRUE advice.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
This really isn't the appropriate time to argue with someone who has a thousand times the experience you do that offers you constructive, non-mean and most of all TRUE advice.

im not arguing with him. you might want to read again what i wrote, i didn't understand what he meant.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
im not arguing with him. you might want to read again what i wrote, i didn't understand what he meant.
You're right, I did take what you said somewhat wrong, I apologize for that.

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

If you post a demo it's best to just post it in its entirety - that way you get some good feedback about structure, too.

Quote:
Where did you get the kick? For the part that has potential (after lots of reconstruction) you need more of a "splat" drum than a "pock" drum. The "splat" drum is more like acoustic and electronic mixed with compression; the "pock" drum is more likely to be synthesized.

Quote:
so not sure what you mean by it lacking space, or the sounds being dry.
Throw reverb on something that is neither bassline nor percussion.
Pan something that is neither bassline nor the percussion.

Compare:

http://theheartcore.com/music/armin_...ation_dull.mp3
http://theheartcore.com/music/armin_...tion_shiny.mp3

Both of these come from (the free) Synth1; the second's got some effects and automation thrown over it. Yet, ask anyone which of the two is from the non-freeware plugin and they'll point at nr. 2.

All sounds do not have effects applied to them. It's not a requirement - it can work if they blend properly together; but even a simple acoustic guitar has the reverb of the room it's being played in. Synths and plugins can generate sounds like they're played in an anechoic room - no reflections, no phase shifts - but that's not how humans generally hear things. A little dash of effects can work miracles because it provides your ears with a virtual room.

Quote:
Great! Here, try this: chord house ::: piano room: chords and scales

Pick any root note you like, and choose Pentatonic Minor in the list of scales (at the right of the screen). Constrain yourself to only using those notes. While there are tools (Live has one built in) to restrict the range of notes artificially, don't use them; they won't teach you how to play.

Look at these notes like they're stairs. Sure, you can walk upstairs with regular steps, not skipping any, but there's no fun in that. Try little mathematical tricks - like two steps forward, one step back, or three steps forward, two steps back, one step forward, three steps forward again.

The beauty is that you can do this just by clicking in the notes and dragging the end of each note to change the length (but just keep them all the same length at the start just for starters).

Take it easy, start with easy patterns, and stick just with that root note. After programming something you like, try to play it by hand; slowly but accurately at first, and then faster still until you've memorized it and your fingers know which keys to hit.

I guarantee it that you can spend an entire night with just that and a simple sound with some reverb and delay and get dozens of ideas.

It gets better when you realize that this is only one single root note and a comparatively simple scale.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

i quite like it sorry
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Where did you get the kick? For the part that has potential (after lots of reconstruction) you need more of a "splat" drum than a "pock" drum. The "splat" drum is more like acoustic and electronic mixed with compression; the "pock" drum is more likely to be synthesized.
wave alchemy demo samples, using them till i can afford to purchase actual sample packs from them. i have layered and equalised kicks till they sound good.

Quote:
Throw reverb on something that is neither bassline nor percussion.
Pan something that is neither bassline nor the percussion.
the lead synth doesnt sound dry imo but, its very lively.therefore there is nothing else to add reverb too.

Quote:
Compare:

http://theheartcore.com/music/armin_...ation_dull.mp3
http://theheartcore.com/music/armin_...tion_shiny.mp3

Both of these come from (the free) Synth1; the second's got some effects and automation thrown over it. Yet, ask anyone which of the two is from the non-freeware plugin and they'll point at nr. 2.

All sounds do not have effects applied to them. It's not a requirement - it can work if they blend properly together; but even a simple acoustic guitar has the reverb of the room it's being played in. Synths and plugins can generate sounds like they're played in an anechoic room - no reflections, no phase shifts - but that's not how humans generally hear things. A little dash of effects can work miracles because it provides your ears with a virtual room.
i can understand this. effects can make sounds very lively and sound good. i have been told when programming a synth that the patch must sound good without effects, then you can add effects to make it even better.

Quote:
Great! Here, try this: chord house ::: piano room: chords and scales

Pick any root note you like, and choose Pentatonic Minor in the list of scales (at the right of the screen). Constrain yourself to only using those notes. While there are tools (Live has one built in) to restrict the range of notes artificially, don't use them; they won't teach you how to play.

Look at these notes like they're stairs. Sure, you can walk upstairs with regular steps, not skipping any, but there's no fun in that. Try little mathematical tricks - like two steps forward, one step back, or three steps forward, two steps back, one step forward, three steps forward again.

The beauty is that you can do this just by clicking in the notes and dragging the end of each note to change the length (but just keep them all the same length at the start just for starters).

Take it easy, start with easy patterns, and stick just with that root note. After programming something you like, try to play it by hand; slowly but accurately at first, and then faster still until you've memorized it and your fingers know which keys to hit.

I guarantee it that you can spend an entire night with just that and a simple sound with some reverb and delay and get dozens of ideas.

It gets better when you realize that this is only one single root note and a comparatively simple scale.
cheers i seen your signature with the chord links before. and i have been learning different chords.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

needs more cowbell
Old 15th September 2011
funny track... it's so kitschy that it could be already good.

it sounds cheesy, very plastic, unstructured. but even that can be a style.

still it needs some reverb (a very short one, so it still sounds dry). a nice kitschy funky arrangement. and i'd put in some grungy angry punk vocals to spice it up.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search