The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
downbeat jazzy electronica Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
downbeat jazzy electronica

New track I'm working on for a side project of mine. This is still in demo phase, arrangement still being worked on, etc. No autotune btw.

I want to add some live flute, a few motifs here and there, but other than that not sure. Its meant to be laidback kinda meandering feel. Gear wise its all itb, Logic and Sylenth. Vocals recorded with a se2200a into duet.

What do you guys think, let rip.

Old 10th September 2011
Very cool, digging the vibe. I kept waiting for a funky upright bass groove to come in along with some bright rides, but that's more a matter of my opinion than criticism heh.

By the way do I detect a portuguese accent on the singer? I think it added nicely to the feel of the song.
Old 11th September 2011
AvS
Lives for gear
Very nice! I really enjoyed that.
Old 11th September 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys. Interesting idea, I might look into the upright bass, have a mate who's a great upright bass player. Want to have some organic live elements since everything else is electronic and played by me.

Yes the singer is Brazilian, we are doing some tracks in english and some in Portuguese. She's an amazing singer, I'm very happy to be working with her.

A lot of the vibe for this is inspired by Chic Corea's "Return to Forever" which is one of my favourite records ever, and thats with a Brazilian singer too.

Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dope as usual. Singer was a perfect choice for the song IMO.

Mix is great even for rough.

I'm not sure on the upright bass thing, I like a little mechanical contrast but that's just personal taste

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 12th September 2011
Well I'm going to try the acoustic bass, talked with a friend who will give it a go. So we'll see how it fits, it would be a simple bass line, nothing to busy, few notes here and there just to help the groove along.

I'll have an update in a few weeks.

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Singer was a perfect choice for the song IMO.
Completely agree. Her voice goes perfectly with the vibe of the song. I like what you have so far.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Very nice. Digging the laid back groove you have going on. Keep it up!
Old 15th September 2011
absolutely great track. lost myself in waves of feelings listening to this song heh
Old 16th September 2011
wow thanks a lot deft heh thats what I'm aiming for, cheers for that!

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the atmosphere and singing. Nice.

I can understand it works somehow in souch a static way it is done, as if the time had stopped. But it could be much better if it evolved. Now there is many possibilities. More uptempo upright bass with funky drums (some intricate airy jazzier breaks preferably) would work. But so would more ambient approach with new mellow motives - mellow analog leads (with filter way down), real strings or even some guitar in echo.... or... you name it.
The beginning before the singer starts to sing could use some of these motives, or you could go more abstract with some interesting noise fading in gently so it isn't so plain.
In the middle of the song - in the breakdown - you should introduce something. Something that will continue the story, but takes your head a bit elswhere so that when you get back in the 2nd half, it will be great to be back in the same mood again. I'd introduce some new percussive element (shaker, another drumloop?), subtle. And then you need smething that will gradualy intensify the atmosphere and brings something special emotionally to the song. Some uplifting strings or echoing guitar/rhodes as I wrote above would do, maybe some double bass (improvizing)...

I don't like the way it is mixed. Some things stick out. Some things are burried... sense of space and atmosphere could be enhanced, characters too. It doesn't give you clue if it is ambient or more beat oriented mix. For ambient mix it doesn't exploit space as it could and for beat oriented mix, drums are undermixed.

Don't take my words as criticism, take what you think would help you and leave the rest.

good luck
Old 16th September 2011
Its all good man, I'm up for any and all suggestions!

I will be adding some upright bass in the next week or two, I want the real thing so waiting for a mate to come by and lay down some. Also considering a bit of flute. Not sure about strings though, generally want to keep it stripped back, its too easy to just load on more and more instrumentation you know.

What is it about the mix your not liking (this is just a first rough mix btw) the drums being too low?

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I understand the need to keep it as simple as possible. I've only suggested one element. If it is the flute you'd like to use, that's it. But try to save it for the 2nd half.

There is one thing in particular, on percussion (this sub/kik with shake like top) that sticks out. I'd make it less loud combined with some low shelf, taking out some bass. Then it needs to get into the same space as the rest, it feels too dry. Of course I understand its role, but I'd like to hear it more as the part of the rest and less as a dry sample in the face.

Try some delay on the vocal (not really obvious one), it could get more relaxed that way.

just thinking out loud
Old 16th September 2011
Yeah the bass will come in after the break with the drums as they come back in, second half only.

Yes I know what sound you mean it is too loud at the moment

Old 22nd September 2011
restpause
The intro was way too long for me, but after I skipped into the middle it seemed pretty cool. I like the mix but it will be nicer with a bass. The vocalist seemed to have too much reverb on at first, but then it cleared up which was a relief. She sings pretty well.
Old 22nd September 2011
Really nice, very dreamy stuff, love the synths! It definitely needs a Bass and the Kick stands out quite a bit because the (snare-like) top is in Stereo. It's too big of a contrast to the other stuff, but i think with the bass it will gel better. Also could use some kind of change in instrumentation towards the end, otherwise it's too plain. Singer is nice!
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

Awesome track.. Gives off feelings of serenity and relaxation. I like the drone like arp synth thing in the background.. it goes a long way!

I also agree with a lot of other posts that a double bass would be a perfect addition and I'm glad that you're going to be involving that! Look forward to the finished product!

Great voice too! :D
Old 30th September 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Should be recording the bass this week, if all goes to plan will have an update by the weekend.
Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search