The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New music to review (will return the favor) as of August 26th!
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Addict

New music to review (will return the favor) as of August 26th!

I put a new song in my music website called "Strange Without You". Please tell me how you like the song and how it can be improved, and I can return the favor if you wish (leave me a link). The song is at the top of this link:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...?bandID=224436
Old 1st September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark View Post
I put a new song in my music website called "Strange Without You". Please tell me how you like the song and how it can be improved, and I can return the favor if you wish (leave me a link). The song is at the top of this link:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...?bandID=224436
Hey there Mr Aardvark. I like your tune. It's fine the way it is, but here's a few things I heard and they are just opinion of course. Before I start, I really catch an EBM (Front 242, Nitzer Ebb) vibe with a little bit of punk and early cure actually. The cure was actually alot punkier in the beginning. Check out "The Forest" from the "mixed up" album

1: You use the the same chord progression almost entirely through the song. Usually if I'm going to have just one progression I like to tease with just pieces of it, or groove in the root chord of the progression and go to the full thing in the choruses. for instance I - VII in the verse or just stay on the I. Then in the chorus give the whole thing I - VII - IV - V. By not giving the whole chord progression the entire time it gives the song a tension with somewhere to go. A good example in your own song is at 2:05 you establish a groove all on the I chord but then go back to the chord progression very soon at 2:13. You can make a whole verse/intro out of that groove at 2:05. It's not about what the sounds are btw just the semblance of chord progression that gets created.

2: Vocals are a little buried. I'm listening on good headphones and its still difficult to understand somewhat. Vocals are an instrument and to me it's about the sound more than intelligibility of course. A little compression maybe, or if you are trying to keep it a little raw just raise them some. I'm in a phase of not even barely mixing or mastering my own songs myself but vocals are the one thing where sound is important.

I'm not saying my stuff is better than yours but you did ask for a review. If you'd like to hear some of mine you can click here to go to my "post your" page on GS. I just put up a new one called "Influx" you might like.

House Band: The Xenos

or search "House Band: The Xenos" on Youtube to hear more songs than what are up on Gearslutz.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

StarfishMusic,
Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it! I confess a similarity to "A Forest" by The Cure (one of my favorite groups), though not all of the synth notes are the same. I kind of like "Headhunter" by Front 242. I've heard of Nitzer Ebb, but not very familiar with their music. I confess to turning down my vocals on the weaker portions; I didn't want my vocals terribly audible on the shakier parts. I'm now listening to your music and will post on your link.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Who's Tryin' To Save Me
Peak position 3

Comfortable guitar sound!
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Addict

Jpro600k,
Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it! You must be a fan of the Prophet 600. I played one once in the 80's. I will now seek out your music...........I reviewed one of your songs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search