The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DEAD OR ALIVE-YOU SPIN ME ROUND **Linn 9000
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

DEAD OR ALIVE-YOU SPIN ME ROUND **Linn 9000

Hey guy!!! Some of you guys may know me on here. I produce 80s music. After speaking to Bruce Forat for 6 years, he finally convinced me to purchase a Linn 9000. It took a week to get the hang of it. Once I felt comfortable on it, I decided to make a cover of one of my favorite produced songs. This particular song used the 9000 for drums and sequencing. The song is YOU SPIN ME ROUND by DEAD OR ALIVE. I tried to be as faithful as possible , using the same synths. I couldn't get everything perfect. But I think its pretty close. Bruce Forat was a huge help, in coaching me to use the 9000 and learn the functions. Ive included a photograph of the equipment used. I cannot get it to upload in the right orientation. Sorry! Anyway, here it is guys! Please let me know what some of you think!!!

Here is a video of myself making the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gye5...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
DEAD OR ALIVE-YOU SPIN ME ROUND **Linn 9000-img_5630.jpg  
Attached Files

You Spin Me Round.m4a (4.93 MB, 3352 views)

Last edited by javd007; 8th September 2015 at 03:30 AM..
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Great job! I also have the same equipment and was planning to make the same cover, you beat me to the punch
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Are you synth mania? If so I love your channel !!! In fact , before I bought the 9000 I watched it on your channel ! I have much of your gear , with the exception of the fx .
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Guru

Great job with the audio, terrible one with the photography...
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Are you synth mania? If so I love your channel !!! In fact , before I bought the 9000 I watched it on your channel ! I have much of your gear , with the exception of the fx .
I am Like you, I'm a fan of that period and researched it a lot... if you haven't read "PWL: from the Factory Floor" yet, I'll suggest to pick up a copy, it has a lot of good technical info on the gear used - i.e. the Linn 9000 was only used for its sequencer, but the internal drum sounds were not - the drum sounds were sampled in the AMS DMX 15-80s (tone "LOCs" once the sample was "locked" in memory)
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

I did read it ! It seems that is true and they also triggered from a publison infernal machine for all of their songs with the exception of "you spin me round " apparently they used someone else's 9000. They didn't get their own until 1986. You can tell it's the factory sounds on that track !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I am Like you, I'm a fan of that period and researched it a lot... if you haven't read "PWL: from the Factory Floor" yet, I'll suggest to pick up a copy, it has a lot of good technical info on the gear used - i.e. the Linn 9000 was only used for its sequencer, but the internal drum sounds were not - the drum sounds were sampled in the AMS DMX 15-80s (tone "LOCs" once the sample was "locked" in memory)
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Very good! The sound that is the most "off" to me is the organ during the verse...I think it's 16ths in the original and a quieter, thinner, more phasey sound. Sounds very thick in yours. Otherwise fantastic! Really nicely done.
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Very good! The sound that is the most "off" to me is the organ during the verse...I think it's 16ths in the original and a quieter, thinner, more phasey sound. Sounds very thick in yours. Otherwise fantastic! Really nicely done.
Thanks midi questions!!

I think I know the sound you're referring too. What the heck is that synth? I think it is some sort of Arpeggiated pattern. There is a delay on that track. I couldn't put an effect on the juno because it is part of a sum of 8 synths plugged into my MV802 mixer. If I added the delay, it would affect all of the synths : ( There are some other differences too like the arpeggiated part in the original, which is totally missing on mine. My juno 60 is at Forat getting Minerva Midi-fied., and I didn't want to fire up the polysix so that sequence is missing completely. Also on the original the drums are effected separately, I use a UAD Apollo 8, so I don't have 8 inputs just for drums. So there is reverb on the kick drum, hats, snare etc.. where it should only be on the hats and snare. Again some small differences. But I don't have a 48 track Interface. : (

Last edited by javd007; 7th September 2015 at 03:41 AM..
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Just found this online

"The hidden force driving the record’s mania is that hyperfast sequenced keyboard run
On “The Reunion” on Sunday, Pete Waterman revealed that this was a mistake – they stayed up all night mixing the thing, and only at 10 o’clock the next morning did they realise that they’d left the arpeggiator running on track 32 (or whatever). Presumably it would have taken a lot of work to take that track out (perhaps they’d mixed it down onto one track with some other stuff) so they left it in and hoped nobody would notice. Pete B however did notice, and loved it (and rightly so) – so they never told him it was a happy accident. All of which might help explain why they never hit that peak again."
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Niceeee. Bassline also sounds like Stacey Q's "two of hearts".
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did read it ! It seems that is true and they also triggered from a publison infernal machine for all of their songs with the exception of "you spin me round " apparently they used someone else's 9000. They didn't get their own until 1986. You can tell it's the factory sounds on that track !
Why aren't you singing??? Come on . Joking But great work. I love anything 80's
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds great.
Is that lately bass?
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Nope , It is a DX7 Mk 1 preset 15. E. bass 1.
Old 7th September 2015
This sounds great! Very nice work
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear
You nailed the drums - nice work. The fast chords are pretty convincing as well - which synth did those? A bit off topic, but noticed you don't have any mono synths in your setup - no interest in popular 80s monos like the Pro-One, SH-101 or Minimoog?
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Are you on Twitter? I bet Mike Stock would like to hear this. https://twitter.com/mikestockmusic.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

this song right?

not to be a downer or anything but i don't think it sounds close at all for using the same exact equipment...

good cover but not a replication...sorry

EDIT: ALSO what a weird music video they didn't spin nearly enough

Last edited by Stevism; 8th September 2015 at 01:15 AM..
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Helluvan effort. Came really close on a lot of aspects.

One of my favorite tunes back in the day...until I saw the video.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
this song right?

not to be a downer or anything but i don't think it sounds close at all for using the same exact equipment...

good cover but not a replication...sorry

EDIT: ALSO what a weird music video they didn't spin nearly enough
That is the song! However the music video version is different than the version I based my cover off of. The music video version is quite different, it has more arpeggios and different and shortened sequences, also the version you posted is so youtube compressed, that its hard to even hear the instruments. My version is based off the 12' vinyl release.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNDA3SmGFq0

Last edited by javd007; 8th September 2015 at 02:57 AM..
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
You nailed the drums - nice work. The fast chords are pretty convincing as well - which synth did those? A bit off topic, but noticed you don't have any mono synths in your setup - no interest in popular 80s monos like the Pro-One, SH-101 or Minimoog?
I was interested in an SH101 , In fact I was going to purchase one, but instead bought the 9000 with that money. I don't own any monos but, I have quite a few polys. I haven't seen the need for a mono synth. In fact i use the DX7 for almost every bass line.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is the song! However the music video version is different than the version I based my cover off of. The music video version is quite different, it has more arpeggios and different and shortened sequences, also the version you posted is so youtube compressed, that its hard to even hear the instruments. My version is based off the 12' vinyl release.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNDA3SmGFq0
ha well that makes sense! makes a lot more sense now ....great work!
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

SAW did this one first - same drums and bass - the first time I heard it I thought it was Bobby O quoting DOA (which he did with other artists) but this wasn't even a Bobby O production and SAW was in fact recycling themselves for "You Spin Me".

If you watch the SAW documentary, DOA's record label initially said "You Spin Me Round" sounded too "queer".
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Head

saw them live a while back and the mirror ball fell onto the head of the lead singer who then dropped the mic... the song still played with lyrics... so just sung over a backing track.. then sledged the ****ty venue for a good 5 minutes. Up there as one of the worst acts I have ever seen live in electronica.. sorry for being a bit off topic. I have Linn ROMs in my SCI Drumtraks, but I doubt they are exactly the same, but I wonder and have to compare em one day. Not that I can just get a Linn drum but some maybe raw samples to see how close the SCI ROMS are to the Linn
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliprock View Post
saw them live a while back and the mirror ball fell onto the head of the lead singer who then dropped the mic... the song still played with lyrics... so just sung over a backing track.. then sledged the ****ty venue for a good 5 minutes. Up there as one of the worst acts I have ever seen live in electronica.. sorry for being a bit off topic. I have Linn ROMs in my SCI Drumtraks, but I doubt they are exactly the same, but I wonder and have to compare em one day. Not that I can just get a Linn drum but some maybe raw samples to see how close the SCI ROMS are to the Linn
Yeah, there are a ton of videos of them in the last 5-10 years miming to various housey versions of this tune on UK TV shows. Pretty sure he is lip-syncing even back in the old 80s live concert vids too.
Old 8th September 2015
Wow what a great job!
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
ha well that makes sense! makes a lot more sense now ....great work!
Fab picture with the purple robe on the Youthquake cover...gotta love Pete Burns. Wish he had reigned in the plastic surgery before the accident happened, but still love him anyway. When I hit a wall with current music becoming boring to me in the late 90s, this was definitely one of the tracks that pulled me back into 80s synthpop. I adore those Tarzan vocals...

"I want your loooOoOoOOOOVE..."
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Anyway, here it is guys! Please let me know what some of you think!!!
Wow that takes me back! Good job - I enjoyed listening to it. The Linn 9000 is a great machine, but I did find that the stock sounds needed a lot of treatment to get them to sound as beefy as their predecessors. Not easy to find one in good condition these days either.

Your take reminded me of a ditty that I did a couple of years ago (for my own enjoyment) after reading Phil Harding’s book "PWL from the Factory Floor". If you're interested in the PWL era, I'd really recommend you read this book (if you haven’t already), as it contains a lot of interesting information on the mix process and equipment used.

My take was done with the Linn 9000 snare and kick loaded into my Linndrum, with Preset 13 from a PPG (which SAW seemed to use a fair bit in the early days) doubled with the Fairlight BASSLP voice for bass, rather than the DX7. All other L9000 sounds /other percussion are from the Fairlight.

Incidentally, I used to work just up the road from PWL’s Borough studios in London. It's all gone now, like a lot of studios from that era. That area’s really changed too - a lot different to how it was back in the late 80s.
Attached Files

Spin-take.mp3 (4.10 MB, 2374 views)

Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

I like your track LightBlue! But turn up the snare!!! Your track is exactly the type of music I listen to! Keep making more like it! : )
Old 25th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
SAW did this one first - same drums and bass - the first time I heard it I thought it was Bobby O quoting DOA (which he did with other artists) but this wasn't even a Bobby O production and SAW was in fact recycling themselves for "You Spin Me".

If you watch the SAW documentary, DOA's record label initially said "You Spin Me Round" sounded too "queer".

I collapsed a myth, I always thought that "you spin me round" was an original composition
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
Thanks for posting this. Learned a lot and discovered some other great Divine stuff from the era.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search