The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DEAD OR ALIVE-YOU SPIN ME ROUND **Linn 9000
Old 25th September 2015
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
queensandkings's Avatar
 

that's one of my favorite songs of all time, this song is a phucking MACHINEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 25th September 2015
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Thanks for posting this. Learned a lot and discovered some other great Divine stuff from the era.
You're welcome! I love Divine.
Old 25th September 2015
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
You're welcome! I love Divine.
I just picked up Essential Divine and The 12" Collection on iTunes and am listening to them as I work! What fantastic 80s club music... and it's all brand new to me! She sings those tracks like a punk rocker would... I love it!

To the OP... great work man. My kids (3 and 6) LOVE this song and request it constantly when we are out driving. I even found the video version on Vevo. They think the lead singer is a pirate.
Old 26th September 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
I just picked up Essential Divine and The 12" Collection on iTunes and am listening to them as I work! What fantastic 80s club music... and it's all brand new to me! She sings those tracks like a punk rocker would... I love it!

To the OP... great work man. My kids (3 and 6) LOVE this song and request it constantly when we are out driving. I even found the video version on Vevo. They think the lead singer is a pirate.
Yay, I have a few on vinyl, some autographed by Divine too! (I think that was pretty common.) Worth checking out Bobby "O" productions as he did most of hers - The Flirts "Dancing Madly Backwards" is a favorite, also Oh Romeo "In Love with a Married Man" which was done not so well by the Pet Shop Boys.
Old 26th September 2015
  #35
Here for the gear
 

Great job Javd007! I was looking for that bass sound for the longest time not knowing it was a DX7. I too wanted to make a cover of that track, but instead opted to do a remix of Sex Drive in that same style since there was a good quality acapella track available. And the bass I was finally able to get on the FM8.

https://www.soundcloud.com/digimax/g...kening-version

It's always great seeing other people making this kind of music.
Old 26th September 2015
  #36
Fantastic cover.

sooner or later I'd like to do a cover of: "Do it" and "what i want"
Old 27th September 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 
javd007's Avatar
I am going to post my cover of self control by Laura Branigan. It came out much better than you spin me round. It's even on video via YouTube. Stay tuned ! My YouTube name is javd007. I posted it last week. Didn't get to post on gearslutz yet.
Old 27th September 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 

Pete Burns used to regularly insult me for buying Zappa and Henry Cow albums when he worked in Probe records in Liverpool in the eighties.

That's all I have.

Stephen
Old 27th September 2015
  #39
not know as a person, just I bought his records from boy.Think that he is an exceptional singer, but I think I was influenced more 'for music that sounded group elements of the character itself
Old 27th September 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimax View Post
Great job Javd007! I was looking for that bass sound for the longest time not knowing it was a DX7. I too wanted to make a cover of that track, but instead opted to do a remix of Sex Drive in that same style since there was a good quality acapella track available. And the bass I was finally able to get on the FM8.

https://www.soundcloud.com/digimax/g...kening-version

It's always great seeing other people making this kind of music.
Quite good!
Old 27th September 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
I am going to post my cover of self control by Laura Branigan. It came out much better than you spin me round. It's even on video via YouTube. Stay tuned ! My YouTube name is javd007. I posted it last week. Didn't get to post on gearslutz yet.
So you are doing a cover of a cover?
Old 27th September 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
I am going to post my cover of self control by Laura Branigan. It came out much better than you spin me round. It's even on video via YouTube. Stay tuned ! My YouTube name is javd007. I posted it last week. Didn't get to post on gearslutz yet.
So you are doing a cover of a cover?
Old 27th September 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 
javd007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
So you are doing a cover of a cover?
Lmao yes!
Old 27th September 2015
  #44
Deleted b598644
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Anyway, here it is guys! Please let me know what some of you think!!!
why are the drums out of phase?
Old 27th September 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 
javd007's Avatar
Thats cause I didn't check it in mono when I mixed, like an idiot. One of the drum input cables was only halfway in. Found out later. So basically it can't be played on a mono speaker. It must be played in stereo. So, on an iPad, or smartphone, there will be no drums. UGHHHHHH!!
Old 28th September 2015
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Spectralwaves's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
Pete Burns used to regularly insult me for buying Zappa and Henry Cow albums when he worked in Probe records in Liverpool in the eighties.

That's all I have.

Stephen

It may be all you have , but its good!
Old 28th September 2015
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
It may be all you have , but its good!
That's all I heave on Dead or Alive - I have a few more records.

Stephen
Old 14th January 2017
  #48
Gear Maniac
I'd love a Linn 9000, but I fear I will never be able to afford one :(

Great effort on the track
Old 14th July 2018
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

Both "Dead or Alive" and "Devine" use those high pitch staccato synth sounds accompanying the drums beats. I wonder what they used to make them....
Old 11th May 2019
  #50
Gear Head
 
manfromthe80s's Avatar
Some time ago I also tried to re-create this amazing track and here's what I got.
Attached Files

deadoralives_13.mp3 (4.02 MB, 41 views)

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump