The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Approved Aggregators - Mastered for iTunes and Other Features
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Question Apple Approved Aggregators - Mastered for iTunes and Other Features

I'm gearing up for a future first album release and I want to make sure I do it the right way the first time around. I've been using CD Baby to digitally distribute all of our music and I recently noticed that on iTunes we don't have an artist image. I decided to look into it and ended up wondering if some of the other features that some top artists have access to on iTunes such as the "Mastered for iTunes" badge, the ability to make certain songs available from a pre-order before the album goes live, digital booklets, etc. are something that I could possibly gain access to despite the fact that I'm an independent musician.

In my research I stumbled upon this list of "Apple Approved Aggregators" which also lists the features available for each one: iTunes Music Aggregators List

I figured there might be a few people who didn't know these features were accessible to independent artists (it's new to me) and others that could offer a bit of insight into some of the confusing things and I was hoping we could have a discussion about this and hopefully learn a few things.

First of all I'm assuming in order to use most of these features you're going to have to reach out to the digital distributor individually because CD Baby doesn't offer any of these features from their dashboard.

I noticed CD Baby is missing Ringtones, Variable Pricing (already knew that), and Metadata Translations so I started to compare CD Baby to the others on that list. I honestly don't recognize a lot of those digital distributors, but iTunes feature wise some of them seem very promising. I've been looking into Catapult for instance. Anyone have experience with them?

I wish there was a better explanation for some of these features. Some of them are self explanatory but I'm a bit confused about the others. Anyone have any insight on this? This is what I got out of it:

Music Video - Releasing music videos on iTunes?
Concert Film - Releasing live videos on iTunes?
iTunes LP Delivery - I believe this is the type of album that has music videos and music combined in one album. But isn't that a little redundant with the music video feature?
Instant Gratification Pre-Orders - This is when you get a song or two along with your pre-order before the album goes live. But does this feature include something similar to what Sleeping With Sirens did with their most recent album where they randomly released a song a day for a week during the pre-order period?
Metadata Translations - I know what metadata is, but I have no idea what this means for iTunes. Any thoughts?
Mastered for iTunes - Gets you the badge I'm assuming. Anyone have experience with the process to get your song mastered for iTunes? They link you this for more information: Apple - iTunes - Mastered for iTunes however it seems a bit confusing and I get the feeling that the Apple Audio Mastering Tools are only available for OSX. Is this true?

Thanks for reading. Would love to hear some of your thoughts and/or experiences using these features.

Last edited by TeraBrite; 25th March 2015 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Fixed iTunes Music Aggregators Link
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search