The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Revibe surround workflow
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I should be getting a kick-back from Avid for this post, but just in case you didn't already know, Revibe is now bundled free with PTHD12 subscriptions. (No need to buy it when you can just pay for it over and over again forever, like me!)
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics ➡️
Bill,

What if you placed an instance of spanner on the verb AUX in front of the verb and widened the divergence?

The panning would still follow, but you would get bleed into the adjacent channels.

Randall
I tried the multi mono Revibe trick recently and it works quite well indeer - thanks for pointing this one out!! Divergence helps too.

However, is there a way of increasing decorrelation? It does sound a little bland like this, like "everywhere but mono".
Revibe doesn't have "random variation" mode or so?
I know exponential audio would be a way but I didn't quite get the characterful reverbs I was looking to create while demoing. Me probably...

One could do a aux multimono followed by aux surround, or maybe even two inserts in a row with dry/wet balance, but a way to link automation between those inserte would be cool for quick access, with fine tweaking of controls when needed.

Ah... dreaming here a bit too much. Maybe Revibe III . . . ?
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey guys,
While this is a great idea (and I still do it myself sometimes) there are some gotchas.

multi mono plugins with automation have historically had an annoying bug where copying and pasting any track selection will cause an unnecessary warning message (couldn't paste, different automation types, etc etc). Apart from being a PITA this also breaks re-conform workflows.

multi-mono plugins have also had issues with calling up presets - I think the issue was that the preset got applied to only the first channel.

I could be wrong - these might all be fixed now - but it's just worth noting that multi-mono was always a wee bit of a hack to the plugin architecture.

justin
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guys,

downloaded and was excited about revibe 2, thanks to the support/upgrade PT 12 bundle.

Dropped it into a small mix template for mono and stereo sm / med / lrg room returns.

Sending via send bus on track to these returns.

I tried the natural and neutral rooms and they were HUGE. Beautiful and lush but way to big so be those spaces. Tails were massive, this was stock intall.

Gonna take Garys note on roll offs but are you guys finding you need to tweak the presets often when using this thing?
Old 4th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela ➡️
Guys,

downloaded and was excited about revibe 2, thanks to the support/upgrade PT 12 bundle.

Dropped it into a small mix template for mono and stereo sm / med / lrg room returns.

Sending via send bus on track to these returns.

I tried the natural and neutral rooms and they were HUGE. Beautiful and lush but way to big so be those spaces. Tails were massive, this was stock intall.

Gonna take Garys note on roll offs but are you guys finding you need to tweak the presets often when using this thing?
I very rarely use the stock presets. However, they are great starting points for developing custom presets. The post presets are excellent. Don't confuse the room algorithms with the presets.
Old 14th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman ➡️
I should be getting a kick-back from Avid for this post, but just in case you didn't already know, Revibe is now bundled free with PTHD12 subscriptions. (No need to buy it when you can just pay for it over and over again forever, like me!)
Yep, the bundled plugins almost make the $599 PTHD upgrade fee I just paid worth it.... ALMOST.

Looking to put this to work in a 5.1 mix myself in the coming weeks.
Old 13th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan ➡️
IMO it's Revibe's presets that make it so good for post. They are excellent starting points for creating your own sounds. I think Exponential reverbs can get very good post sounds as well, but I don't think they've done as much of the preliminary work of supplying basic post presets to work from.
Just got Revibe as part of my HD subscription upgrade. I've had Phoenix since it was released, and while I still use other reverbs for specific situations, the stunning quality of Phoenix makes it my go-to most of the time, especially when I want pristine-ness. How would you compare the general quality of Revibe head-to-head with Phoenix?
Old 14th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
How would you compare the general quality of Revibe head-to-head with Phoenix?
IMO they are both excellent, with Revibe being my preferred verb for natural sounding practical locations and Phoenix for music and certain long tail design verbs.

I use Altiverb a lot as well, especially when editing. I find it is much less likely to splash when used on sounds with heavy initial transients (impact sounds) and it also has very natural exterior reflections and slaps. It works really well when you want a rich dark reverb without excessive high frequency reflections.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
IMO they are both excellent, with Revibe being my preferred verb for natural sounding practical locations and Phoenix for music and certain long tail design verbs.

I use Altiverb a lot as well, especially when editing. I find it is much less likely to splash when used on sounds with heavy initial transients (impact sounds) and it also has very natural exterior reflections and slaps. It works really well when you want a rich dark reverb without excessive high frequency reflections.
Great, thanks. I'll add Revibe to my stable of post options.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

How do you use it when editing? As preview on send or as AudioSuit?
Old 15th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barajevic ➡️
How do you use it when editing? As preview on send or as AudioSuit?
Audiosuite, although I don't always bake it into the original clip - sometimes I cut it as a reverb only sweetener so the reverb balance can be adjusted in the mix. To do that I copy the clip to an adjascent track and then process it with the reverb balance set to 100%. It depends on the situation and how whacky the reverb is.
📝 Reply