The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Surround Upmixing Plugins?
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Penteo has "terrible latency" and makes it unusable in realtime - many user reviews talk about problems mixing with it as an insert too (volume moves lag).

I am not sure any of the upmixers would work fine in realtime use - maybe a short reverb or some delays and panning might be of more use for live work?

Just a thought!
As for pads/ambient - my view on it - Penteo sounds (very!) good when trying to separate / spread out a recording in terms of individual instruments. It "separates" a lot, doesn't mean it "envelopes" you in a sound field every time. So pads might not feel that wide - or might have too much separation of individual elements. YOu can tweak it of course. Other upmixers sound more "all around" without "separating" individual elements that well. You should maybe request a few demos and give them a spin for your use.
Hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 25th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
Penteo has "terrible latency" and makes it unusable in realtime - many user reviews talk about problems mixing with it as an insert too (volume moves lag).

I am not sure any of the upmixers would work fine in realtime use - maybe a short reverb or some delays and panning might be of more use for live work?

Just a thought!
As for pads/ambient - my view on it - Penteo sounds (very!) good when trying to separate / spread out a recording in terms of individual instruments. It "separates" a lot, doesn't mean it "envelopes" you in a sound field every time. So pads might not feel that wide - or might have too much separation of individual elements. YOu can tweak it of course. Other upmixers sound more "all around" without "separating" individual elements that well. You should maybe request a few demos and give them a spin for your use.
Hope you find what you are looking for!
NuGen Halo works brilliantly in real-time
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies. This is getting exciting. I'll look into Nugen as an option for sure.

At the moment I have a small home studio set up for stereo work only. Roland Octacapture audio interface, KRK monitors, hardware synths, too many vsti's and sample libraries to mention, a few guitars and pedals.

I'm think that if this actually takes off, what would i need to change going forward?

I'd want a 7.1 audio interface that has Thunderbolt 3 option I imagine, obviously a pretty powerful pc, a 7.1 monitor set up? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Interestingly at SynthFest on October 7th (Sheffield University), there's a seminar / demo of modular synthesis in 7.1.
Lives for gear

JBL and Genelec make turnkey 5.1 (and up) systems for small and medium-sized studios. I use both systems. Lots of options and great sound from both companies. Blue Sky does too, but I don't have firsthand experience with their gear.

It's an interesting time to invest in a multichannel monitoring system because there are new controllers from JBL and Yamaha that can run audio over IP, eliminating a lot of the expense and complexity of most current systems.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Head

I think I need to do some homework and read up about surround sound mixing (no doubt as in HiFi vs monitoring the same arguments are true and you don't use a home cinema system for mixing / tracking) and also audio over IP.

I did read that my Roland Octacapture or the Focusrite 18i20 could be used as the audio interface as they have enough I/O's but unsure as to whether you need something different. I'll also need to check if my DAW will do it which is Reaper.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Coming back to this topic;

I'm looking for a music upmixer that's not too polite or inconspicuous
I want to make stereo music much bigger.
I liked the UPM1, but this has gone away.
The auromatic I have used, It's good, but still not really what I want.
In hardware world I like the system 6000 and Lawo broadcast console upmix. (Which takes only stereo inforrmation and applies early reflections to it)

I have tried the post production usual suspects but these are quite unspectacular

I know that in this forum you like unspectacular upmixing, but this is also the only forum where there is upmixing experience, so I'm still asking you guys.

So there you go.

Opinions on this subject anyone?

Huub Lelieveld
Old 7th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Coming back to this topic;

I'm looking for a music upmixer that's not too polite or inconspicuous
I want to make stereo music much bigger.
I liked the UPM1, but this has gone away.
The auromatic I have used, It's good, but still not really what I want.
In hardware world I like the system 6000 and Lawo broadcast console upmix. (Which takes only stereo inforrmation and applies early reflections to it)

I have tried the post production usual suspects but these are quite unspectacular

I know that in this forum you like unspectacular upmixing, but this is also the only forum where there is upmixing experience, so I'm still asking you guys.

So there you go.

Opinions on this subject anyone?

Huub Lelieveld
Have you tried the Waves upmixers? They are IMO more 'spectacular', that's also why they don't work very well in fold-downs.
Lives for gear

Hi, I have tried the waves, it sounds too obviously as early reflections in my opinion. A bit like a (not so nice sounding) room.

Huub
Try Animix Pro.
Also if you are willing to make it spectacular, you can make it manually by adding some delays and reverbs to the taste. What fo you need it for to be spectacular?
And btw: I had UPM1 and also Unwrap by TC.., and there is nothing that it could do and Nugen Halo can’t.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Try Animix Pro.
Also if you are willing to make it spectacular, you can make it manually by adding some delays and reverbs to the taste. What fo you need it for to be spectacular?
And btw: I had UPM1 and also Unwrap by TC.., and there is nothing that it could do and Nugen Halo can’t.
Thanks.

I use upmixing to expand stereo submixes within a musicmix to 5.1 (for broadcast and/or concert films)
I try to make the stereo submixes sound much bigger in 5.1.
But without certain musical elements being panned into the rear (I've had this happen, getting overheads or hihats from the rear for example)
Most upmixers can do this, but I'm kind of looking for the feeling I get from a system 6000.
Not too obvious, but obviously bigger. If that makes sense.
Thusfar I wasn't able to get this from plugins.
(Well, I was, but I'm still looking for something else)
The Halo, in my experiments was just very natural sounding, but did not make thing bigger or wider.
I have not tried the anymix, will do.

Huub
Lives for gear

I too was a UPM1 user, until they didn't make an AAX version.

Now I use Halo.

Waves is complete garbage
Old 9th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Henchman - FYI:

Waves UM225/226 is complete garbage, yes. Really terrible, actually.

Waves DTS Neural Upmix, however, is under license from DTS and is definitely not garbage. It's very decent and folds down beautifully.

They are very different!
Old 10th December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Henchman - FYI:

Waves UM225/226 is complete garbage, yes. Really terrible, actually.

Waves DTS Neural Upmix, however, is under license from DTS and is definitely not garbage. It's very decent and folds down beautifully.

They are very different!
Its a different beast, but still cannot be compared to Halo or Penteo.
Its controls are very limited and from my demoing experience, it may up mix some rock and pop stuff in a way other plugins don't. It still has a "sweety-sticky" Waves character. Having said that I would buy it for $49 if Waves ever will do some "best in universe sale".
📝 Reply