The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking for sound effects from Teheran / Iran
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Maniac

looking for sound effects from Teheran / Iran

I'm looking for a Iran / Teheran sound library (backgrounds) or a local recordist. Anyone know of anything? Thanks!
Old 7th November 2014
Maybe try to contact Reza Narimi Zadeh he is a sound designer of "A Separation" - a great Iranian film.
He seems to live in LA.
Old 7th November 2014
I can't imagine BGs from Iran would sound any different than BGs from the US? You have cars/traffic, wind, walking, etc. you might also have some farming sounds depending on the scene in Iran (rural vs city).

When you look at pics of Tehran it just looks like any other medium sized city.

The only thing I would think would be different is the loop group walla would be in Farsi instead of english. If you wanted to get really technical you could try to find some people that speak Tehrani, Luri and/or Lari accents of Farsi, depending on the region the shot is in (Tehrani is the urban/city accent in Tehran, Luri is more western Iran and Lari is more southern Iran, supposedly). That and the Azan that happens 5 times a day is all you would need.

Really you probably just need a Farsi loop group and a muslim who can do the Azan (in Arabic, it's always in arabic regardless of what country you are in). You should be fine with standard city and rural BGs from whatever libraries you already use.

If you are in Los Angeles, you could try contacting the Iranian-American Muslim Assoc of North America. They are in Culver City. They might be able to help you find Farsi speakers for a loop group and someone who can do the Azan for you. Here is their link

http://iman.org/testiman/Home.aspx
Old 12th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
I can't imagine BGs from Iran would sound any different than BGs from the US? You have cars/traffic, wind, walking, etc. you might also have some farming sounds depending on the scene in Iran (rural vs city).

[/URL]
You are sooooo wrong!
Tel Aviv sounds completely different from New York. And New Yorks sounds different from LA. Amsterdam has its own sound and St. Petersburg doesn't sound as other big city.
Whats the difference? The details which makes each city recognisable.
Tel Aviv has euro cars but loud diesel buses, no wide streets with lots of scooters and Ambulances not hesitating to turn on their sirens often to the face.
The crowd is mainly hebrew sometimes arabic and usually loud. Lots of birds, dogs and kids. Never churches or trams.
Amsterdam is much quieter with only traffic rumble some bikes locks sounds, trams pass byes and melodic churches bells. Quite crowd and clean overall BG with some canals water dripping in.
These are just few examples. But the right atmosphere could be not only the BG cover but also inspire you to built other elements based on it.
And US cities are sounding completely different form EU or Middle East ones.
Speaking of Tehran, I think it has its own magic and this is not the same as Istanbul even though both are islamic cities. BTW I have my own Istanbul atmoses and they are quite unique.

I have plenty of BG I recorded in different cities on earth and can hear the difference without reading their description.

And I am not speaking of local folk's reaction when they hear some sounds not belonging to their city (heard in many films films designed in US).
Old 12th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
You are sooooo wrong!
Tel Aviv sounds completely different from New York. And New Yorks sounds different from LA. Amsterdam has its own sound and St. Petersburg doesn't sound as other big city.
Whats the difference? The details which makes each city recognisable.
Tel Aviv has euro cars but loud diesel buses, no wide streets with lots of scooters and Ambulances not hesitating to turn on their sirens often to the face.
The crowd is mainly hebrew sometimes arabic and usually loud. Lots of birds, dogs and kids. Never churches or trams.
Amsterdam is much quieter with only traffic rumble some bikes locks sounds, trams pass byes and melodic churches bells. Quite crowd and clean overall BG with some canals water dripping in.
These are just few examples. But the right atmosphere could be not only the BG cover but also inspire you to built other elements based on it.
And US cities are sounding completely different form EU or Middle East ones.
Speaking of Tehran, I think it has its own magic and this is not the same as Istanbul even though both are islamic cities. BTW I have my own Istanbul atmoses and they are quite unique.

I have plenty of BG I recorded in different cities on earth and can hear the difference without reading their description.

And I am not speaking of local folk's reaction when they hear some sounds not belonging to their city (heard in many films films designed in US).
That's great! so I take it this is you offering to front the money so the OP can get a Visa and fly to Tehran for a week to record BGs then? Because from what you are saying, there is obviously no way possible for the OP to create the sounds of the city from existing SFX libraries and a farsi speaking loop group! So please contact the OP to arrange a transfer of funds and send this guy to Tehran so he can do it right!!!
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's great! so I take it this is you offering to front the money so the OP can get a Visa and fly to Tehran for a week to record BGs then? Because from what you are saying, there is obviously no way possible for the OP to create the sounds of the city from existing SFX libraries and a farsi speaking loop group! So please contact the OP to arrange a transfer of funds and send this guy to Tehran so he can do it right!!!
Or, he could post on an audio post production forum and ask if any one has any leads or sounds........ Editors trade stuff all the time. I have received some awesome source material from colleagues.

I agree with Michael, the texture and tenor of sounds is different. Though you can, "fake" some of it with generic sounds in some cases.

A lot of beautiful films come out of Iran. Surely there are some good sound editors there. Hopefully someone has a lead to one. I don't. You could try looking up some recent Iranian films and see if you can contact any of the sound post folk. Or do a search on post facilities there. Not a lot of help, but...

Good luck!
Old 12th November 2014
Quote:
Well, you took it hard.
Hey, I am in Israel, so probably for me it's much easier to get visa to Iran rather for Americans?
Seriously, I think that I would try to contact a sound designer of "A separation" who lives in LA according to the info I could find.
Also I guess many Europeans sound designers could potentially visit Iran as they have diplomatic relationship.
Try to find Russian or Turkish folks who've been there.
Try him: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/kayvan-...ahi/34/a52/724
If I would need to design a foreign film, I just like the OP would first make a research of sound availability.
And just like Tom said you can fake a fair amount of elements….and we do fake all the time in our work. Don't we? The art is all about it. But this is another story...
Old 13th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks very much guys, all excellent advice!
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

What makes a city to sound unique is a combination of just a few details.
For example, Ezan sound is different in each country. ?stanbul Ezan is not what you would hear anywhere else. Yes it is arabic, but with a different musical style.
And there would be a bird that is dominant. If we go with the ?stanbul example, it would be the crow caws. Add to that a random call of a simit seller (Turkish bagel) and a child calling for mum, you get yourself a pretty convincing atmosphere.
If I were to sound design atmospheres of a city I am not familiar with, I would definitely seek sources and not "guess".
For instance, a single sound sequence of a pedestrian crossing signal will turn that generic traffic rumble into Auckland, NZ.

Check out Sound Transit there are a few samples from Tehran.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old thread, but am looking for some Tehran ambiences if anyone has some for sale.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search